Air filters..recharge or replace?

Mikw4

Established Member
I have a JLT RAI in the cobra. Its time for a cleaning. Not sure how I feel about the recharge kit. Cleaning seems easy but the oil scares me. DO not want any problems with an oily MAF.
$20 for recharge kit
$50 for new filter
Leaning towards a new filter. What do you guys think

07TorchRedGT

Established Member
I recharged mine three months ago.
If you do it and read the instructions, it not to hard.
I just let the filter sit all weekend before reinstalling it. It was over oiled, but by letting
it sit, all the excess oil ran off.
They say to spray the oil till it gets that redish color, and I did. it just turned out what I thought was red was alittle too red. lol

2003snake

Established Member
Recharge.....just take it easy...the recharge kit should probably be good for at LEAST 3 times....

Fat-cat

Established Member
yeah recharge it .. spray a strip and inch wide leave a strip spray and repeat. Let it sit for about an hour to soak across and then do any touch up on it.. let sit over night and it should be good to go.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
Recharge.....just take it easy...the recharge kit should probably be good for at LEAST 3 times....
haha yeah I put on too much before and had to clean the mass air and wheel well after. use light coat oil

dezracer

Make sure the filter is COMPLETLEY dry before you oil or you will not get even or adequete coverage. After you oil use a paper towel on outside to soak up excess.

SpectorV

Established Member
my issue with a recharge is you will put to much oil on it, and that oil will get sucked into your motor and thus get on your MAF and such and will have to be cleaned.

I just replaced mine for 45 bucks vs 20 for the recharge to keep it from doing that~

Mr.GSXR1000

Established Member
my issue with a recharge is you will put to much oil on it, and that oil will get sucked into your motor and thus get on your MAF and such and will have to be cleaned.

I just replaced mine for 45 bucks vs 20 for the recharge to keep it from doing that~

whats the best perferd kind to go with filter wise?

Mikw4

Established Member

I know I will squeeze too much oil. where did you buy your filter?

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Recharged both my truck and cobra ones at least a total of 7 times. No problems, and still on 1 recharge kit.

:beer:

Black306

Established Member
For as often as I deal with an air filter, I just buy a new one. I have an old one with ~6k miles that needs recharging if anyone is interested.

boatcop1

Established Member
Yeah recharge Bro you get like 3-5 recharges per kit.

Your worried about over oiling? Have you ever looked at a K&N fresh out of the box? LOL they bath those filters in that stuff at the factory. Just recharge, why throw your money away?

chitowncobra

Established Member
i was a little uneasy about recharging my steeda filter i called steeda talked to the tech told me how to do it. ordered it went to the recharge kits web site, they had a how to video and did there instruction and it was easy as pie!!!:beer::beer::beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i recharge every 5000. i've done it 4 times now since i've had the jlt. but i don't apply directly to the filter, i spread it (amsoil filter oil) on a shop towel first and then apply to the (clean and dry) jlt filter off the shop towel. seems like i can control the application amount a lot easier. never had an issue with the maf sensor

Users who are viewing this thread