AED's dyno tuned BOSS IM Results/Review

FIFTY

Established Member
Once again it's was time for some fine tuning over at AED, initially I came in for a ported intake and E85, and ended up leaving with a boss intake. Myself, and Shaun were a bit skeptical on what our results would yield, but to our surprise we gained(A SHIT TON). First was 91oct tune, we immediately saw a gain in hp and as expected, a loss in torque...But after it was all said in done we gained 15hp, and was down -12tq on 91oct. But honestly on the street, no torque loss was felt IMO , it pulls HARD all the way through redline! So after 91, we switched to e85 another 10hp and added another 5tq. Final numbers came in at 462hp 417tq(STD), total gain of 25hp from my baseline with just boss, e85, and tune. As far as drivability, the car is a absolute BEAST, it literally doesn't not...REPEAT does NOT stop pulling! Performance at the track netted solid 3mi/hr at the track running in the heat of summer, so I know there's probably more to be had. Overall very please with results and customer service, AED for the win, big props to Shaun, Drew, and Greg!!!

Mark.jpg

wbt

Banned
Question.....why does power start to taper off after 6,500? That doesn't seem right for a Boss intake. It looks more in-line with the stock intake.

Do you have pre and post timeslips to post? I would like to compare the conditions.

FWIW, my M6 car with a Boss intake:
StockvsBoss.jpg

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
interesting, there is a bit of a drop at the end of the graph that might not be expected. Its more pronounced on the E85 run.

not familiar with dynocom dynos, what is the reference for that reading?

SicShelby09

Banned
The vette crowd is now embracing E85 too on stock and lightly modified cars. Here is a dyno chart from a stock LS3 to E85 tuned only. Thats all, custom tune for E85. Stock m6 LS3. Im sold.

2008CorvetteE85Test.jpg

ComfortableLiar

Established Member
What's the reason for the increases in power with E85? I always assumed E85 was essentially a lower octane? Does anything else need to be changed to run E85 other than a tune?

Last edited:

corepwn

Established Member
E85 is a higher octane, but contains less energy per unit compared to standard 91/93. So it requires more fuel (larger injectors) to support the same amount of power.

Mugzy

Connoisseur Extraordinair
Established Member
I believe you can also run more timing because of the increased cooling since you're pouring more fuel in.

FIFTY

Established Member
Question.....why does power start to taper off after 6,500? That doesn't seem right for a Boss intake. It looks more in-line with the stock intake.

Do you have pre and post timeslips to post? I would like to compare the conditions.

PRE:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/841875-aeds-recipe-domination.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/690001-fastest-1-4-mile-2011-mustang-gt-track-times-14.html

Not really sure about the taper, I leave that stuff up to shaun, all I can tell you is that it picked up big on the top-end, my pre run I believe my DA was around 300 or so, post run DA was 1300+

FIFTY

Established Member
120mph stock headers?

Yeah, gotta those mid lengths:banana:
interesting, there is a bit of a drop at the end of the graph that might not be expected. Its more pronounced on the E85 run.

not familiar with dynocom dynos, what is the reference for that reading?
Not sure, maybe Shaun can chime in and explain...
What's the reason for the increases in power with E85? I always assumed E85 was essentially a lower octane? Does anything else need to be changed to run E85 other than a tune?

Injector are the only mod needed to run e85, as far as octane rating I believe its anywhere from 100-105oct

wbt

Banned
PRE:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/841875-aeds-recipe-domination.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/690001-fastest-1-4-mile-2011-mustang-gt-track-times-14.html

Not really sure about the taper, I leave that stuff up to shaun, all I can tell you is that it picked up big on the top-end, my pre run I believe my DA was around 300 or so, post run DA was 1300+

Correcting each of your best runs down to SL:

Pre-Boss -
11.558 @ 117.732 MPH
Post-Boss -
11.405 @ 122.062 MPH

Nice MPH gains with 1.5 better ET with roughly the same 60'. Any other changes made to the car besides the intake tune and gas such as less weight, skinnies, etc?

FIFTY

Established Member
Correcting each of your best runs down to SL:

Pre-Boss -
11.558 @ 117.732 MPH
Post-Boss -
11.405 @ 122.062 MPH

Nice MPH gains with 1.5 better ET with roughly the same 60'. Any other changes made to the car besides the intake tune and gas such as less weight, skinnies, etc?

Of coarse, I used shaun's old big's/little's unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of the track, only netting high 1.6 60ft

wnt2gofst

Banned
NIce gains. I was able to make basically same power but with 93 octane and LT headers with no cats on my old manual. I might have got a little more but I had 4.10 gears and 295/50/15 DR's. Dynocom dyno as well.

BradCareyDyno.jpg

Shaun@AED

It's not actually a drop in power, it's a high spot in power at 6500 via TiVCT changes.
There's also a high spot at 4K compared to WBT's graph.

We started at high 430's / low 440's on the first Boss IM Gas pull and via TiVCT changes managed to bump it up to 452. The graph was originally just like WBT's.

wbt

Banned
It's not actually a drop in power, it's a high spot in power at 6500 via TiVCT changes.
There's also a high spot at 4K compared to WBT's graph.

We started at high 430's / low 440's on the first Boss IM Gas pull and via TiVCT changes managed to bump it up to 452. The graph was originally just like WBT's.

I would sure like to see the before and after comparisons overlay-ed.

All N/A Coyote dyno results I've seen have the same 2 humps in the middle of the powerband regardless of which intake manifold is used.
2011 Mustang GT Dyno Data Summary

Those seem to be strangely missing as well....

Just for comparisons sake, here is my M6 car on a Dynocom dyno with no other changes made vs. the Dynojet:
DynocomRun.jpg

As with wnt2gofst, there seems to be some resolution lost in the Dynocom graphs. The humps in the middle are there, just not as pronounced.

Last edited:

Mnstr50

Established Member
Shaun-

What is the cost for the stock intake to be ported? Can I get way with the stock injectors for an e85 tune? I want to go with ID1000's later with a blower, but currently want to get as much out of the stock (or near stock) hardware as possible.

What's your opinion on the Boss intake? So much controversy and mixed emotions on this topic.

How high can you wrap a stock coyote? (7000-7200rpm)???

FIFTY

Established Member
Shaun-

What is the cost for the stock intake to be ported? Can I get way with the stock injectors for an e85 tune? I want to go with ID1000's later with a blower, but currently want to get as much out of the stock (or near stock) hardware as possible.

What's your opinion on the Boss intake? So much controversy and mixed emotions on this topic.

How high can you wrap a stock coyote? (7000-7200rpm)???

For me, this data justify having a boss intake, Its night and day difference, and money well spent! and like i said i fell little to no loss down low!

Users who are viewing this thread