98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Just got the car back from the alignment.

Ended up with the following specs.

5.5 caster
No toe front and rear
-3.1 camber up front
-1.5 camber in rear

Initial thoughts, I love this setup. I haven't hit any real hard corners but im really liking it so far.

Last edited:

budman5023

Established Member
Just got the car back from the alignment.

Ended up with the following specs.

5.5 caster
No toe front and rear
-3.1 caster up front
-1.5 caster in rear

Initial thoughts, I love this setup. I haven't hit any real hard corners but im really liking it so far.
Very nice! Is the -3.1 camber in the front maxed out? Be carefull if you drive it on the street a lot. That setup will eat some tires up with an uneven pattern. What tires are you running? Great work! Mine is still a part. Just sold the kenne bell to go back NA. Keep us posted.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Very nice! Is the -3.1 camber in the front maxed out? Be carefull if you drive it on the street a lot. That setup will eat some tires up with an uneven pattern. What tires are you running? Great work! Mine is still a part. Just sold the kenne bell to go back NA. Keep us posted.

So im maxed out in Caster. The rear is maxed in camber, but the front will take another full degree of camber (give or take).

I just drove it home from the alignment shop on the street and don't plan on much more. The track brake pads squeal like a pig when street driving, they like to be full on or full off. lol.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
And because we all love photos. I forgot to add them.

44776363390_e853793a81_b.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
44776363180_3a243c6236_b.jpg

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
For now im running Federal 595 RSRR's.

Are your RS-RR's terribly loud? Mine sound like a jumbo jet taking off in my Fiesta as the speeds get faster. Its dumbed itself down a little with some wear but holy moly this is unlike any other set of tires ive ever run.

I am putting them on the chump car build and with the car gutted i cant imagine the amount of noise its going to make.

PS huge fan of the build. Keep the updates coming.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Are your RS-RR's terribly loud? Mine sound like a jumbo jet taking off in my Fiesta as the speeds get faster. Its dumbed itself down a little with some wear but holy moly this is unlike any other set of tires ive ever run.

I am putting them on the chump car build and with the car gutted i cant imagine the amount of noise its going to make.

PS huge fan of the build. Keep the updates coming.

To be quite honest I have no idea. Without the interior in the car everything is loud and noisy. I have never really paid attention to road noise but I have heard others complain about it as well with street cars.

Car is loaded up on the trailer ready for tomorrow!

Palmer

Established Member
Great job I love this build. Years ago I had a white 96 Cobra that had full Griggs suspension and I miss it. I currently have a 09 GT500 built by Griggs and I’m slowly trying to get back into open track events.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Initial thoughts today.

The car is a whole new car. I don't have a good idea how much faster I am from before because today was clockwise. I only have times for CCW. Normally CCW is faster and I turned in a 1:59 back in May. Today in CW rotation I clocked a 1:56.

I am feeling some front end pushing so I think my camber is not far enough negative. Tomorrow morning I am going to throw another few degrees of neg camber at it.

I honestly have changed so much I cannot even comment on how the IRS feels... it feels good, feels planted, but that could be the suspension upgrades.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Almost forgot a couple pics and a funny story.

45805819795_929eb7f91b_k.jpg

My first session out I was feeling the car out, had been using the rear diff cooler... Back straight just before pits I'm hard on the brakes and the cockpit starts to fill with smoke. Im thinking oh shit. So I pit and head back to my spot on the paddock. @MFE was nice enough to point out that my exhaust tips are clearancing themselves. I could smell the burnt plastic...

45996628064_4e4243fbda_k.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I ended up adjusting my negative camber to -4 this morning. After playing with tire pressures I ended up pulling off my best lap in the Time Attack by dropping 4.3 seconds off my previous personal best on stock suspension. Now I am still trying to adjust the suspension and I think im going to toe in a tad and im at -5 degrees camber.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
What are you at for the in now ?
Send a PM to jack hidley for recommendations.
After any caster or camber adjustments , you must readjust to in .
Canberra adjustment to more negative , will give you more to out .
Just saying.
Nice job on the personal best , looks like it is coming together for you.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
What are you at for the in now ?
Send a PM to jack hidley for recommendations.
After any caster or camber adjustments , you must readjust to in .
Canberra adjustment to more negative , will give you more to out .
Just saying.
Nice job on the personal best , looks like it is coming together for you.

I have all my notes in an email to jack already. I will need some toe in from here as I did some measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread