98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

budman5023

Established Member
Finally buttoning everything up on the rear end.

One of the issues with starting with a car that had its shit pushed in is that things won't always fit.

Case in point here is the IRS cradle. The passenger side physically will not move up any higher at all. The pic below shows how far out it is currently.

View attachment 1534734Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I had to elongate the holes to move the bracket back further on both sides as well. After doing measurements the rear end is currently sitting square. From here I will just add plates to the outside and bolt through the wheel well sandwiching the thin metal. On the opposite side I will run a support bar from one side to the other like the strut tower brace. Finally the brackets will be welded to the car. It may not line up but its staying where she's at now.

Pic below shows where my future bracing will be.

View attachment 1534735Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
View attachment 1534736Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
View attachment 1534737Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I want to run bars from the main hoop down to the strut towers for additional strength.

View attachment 1534738Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr
View attachment 1534739Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Got my diff cooler mounted, the fan is a pull fan so when its off hopefully the flow will still have some cooling effect, but when it is needed the fan will pull the air through and exhaust the air out through the back.

View attachment 1534740Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

View attachment 1534741Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

View attachment 1534742Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

I am just waiting on a 10MM bubble flare tee fitting to come in. Once thats done I will hook my brake lines back up and I should be able to put the car back on the ground and drive it in for an alignment.

BTW anyone have suggestions on alignment settings for track driving??

Looking good. PPG cars set up my car with full positive caster, full negative camber, and zero toe(stock location suspension). I first tried the 2000 Cobra R specs with the R suspension and it was pretty good. I can't remember the R specs which are on this forum somewhere but why go mild. And besides, you are on coil overs right? A bit more adjustment. I was also on steeda c/c plates(switching to MM). Right now before the front upgrade I think it is 2.0 negative camber front, 0 toe, and I think 4 or 5 degrees positive caster. Rear is 1.5 negative camber but I think you can elongate the section where that adjustment is a bit to get close to negative 2, and toe is zero. I dont think you can adjust rear caster on 1st gen IRS. I would do small adjustments to dial in for your track. I was running at NOLA motorsports park.
Roll bar looks good.
Ever think about adding some tube around the roof and down the front pillars like the EVO on EVO corner on pike's peak? Just in case you do any hill climbs.

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
impressive!!!!

Thank you sir

Love the mongoose. I have a gt interceptor in the basement.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

NICE!!!!

Looking good. PPG cars set up my car with full positive caster, full negative camber, and zero toe(stock location suspension). I first tried the 2000 Cobra R specs with the R suspension and it was pretty good. I can't remember the R specs which are on this forum somewhere but why go mild. And besides, you are on coil overs right? A bit more adjustment. I was also on steeda c/c plates(switching to MM). Right now before the front upgrade I think it is 2.0 negative camber front, 0 toe, and I think 4 or 5 degrees positive camber. Rear is 1.5 negative camber but I think you can elongate the section where that adjustment is a bit to get close to negative 2, and toe is zero. I dont think you can adjust rear caster on 1st gen IRS. I would do small adjustments to dial in for your track. I was running at NOLA motorsports park.
Roll bar looks good.
Ever think about adding some tube around the roof and down the front pillars like the EVO on EVO corner on pike's peak? Just in case you do any hill climbs.

Yes, I am on coils on all corners. I will start with what you suggested above on settings and then adjust from there.

Yes, I do plan on finishing off the roll bar eventually. I will end up removing the inner door panels and going with nascar style door bars and do the hoop on the roof. For now this will do. slowly I will get there.

smitty2919

Established Member
Good progress. Is the diff cooler fan setup on a temperature switch? Or is it manual?

Also, the additional bars you will run that go to the rear black brackets on the wheel arches...are you welding tube to those? If so you won't be able to remove those bolt on brackets lol.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I might keep a tenth of toe in on the rear to start out..

But yeah I agree with the dude above, all the caster it will take and all the front camber.

And was there no way to mount the cooler under the car? I just am not a fan of fluids being inside the cabin.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Good progress. Is the diff cooler fan setup on a temperature switch? Or is it manual?

Also, the additional bars you will run that go to the rear black brackets on the wheel arches...are you welding tube to those? If so you won't be able to remove those bolt on brackets lol.

its going to be manual.

And yes they will be welded to the black brackets, I don't foresee myself every needing to remove any of that anyhow

I might keep a tenth of toe in on the rear to start out..

But yeah I agree with the dude above, all the caster it will take and all the front camber.

And was there no way to mount the cooler under the car? I just am not a fan of fluids being inside the cabin.

There really isn't much room under the car anywhere. The only possible place is behind the gas tank. Even there I would be afraid of damage.

Today I was able to get new wheel studs pressed in, calipers bolted back on and exhaust bolted up. Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes and tackle the front.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Today was pretty productive.

I was able to get the front CC plates in, coil overs and front sway bar. I am slacking with the pics so bare with me.

32460299118_1c3b6150aa_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Car is back on the ground.

45609031264_bc738dd9c3_k.jpg
45609031124_888b2904bc_k.jpg
31393365927_4a6e8940c3_k.jpg
31393365857_7b67f39e22_k.jpg

The front sits super low right now, will be fixing that.

Only issue is I have a horrible squeal coming from the passenger side and its very loud. It starts when I get to about 7mph or so and doesn't stop when I jump on the brakes. I have a feeling its a frozen caliper in the rear that won't clamp down on the rotor so it squeals. Currently rock auto has a set of red powder coated rear calipers with brackets for 71 bucks for the pair so I may do that... we will see.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Ill give you my address if you want to send me a set!

The stock brakes have been fine for me so far, if I start to have fade problems I will probably upgrade down the line.

I managed to get both calipers for under $180. I bought them seperately, one from a member here, and one locally.
I still need to buy the bracket/spacer kit though, and that is more than the total cost off the calipers.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
It's going to look awesome with the IRS catback on.

It is on there already! I just removed the huge tips so the stop short of the bumper. Im going to weld in v band clamps and have two sets of tips. one set straight out and the second set will 90 degree turn to the passenger side for when I go to tracks with sound limits so I can point them away from the sound meter.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
It is on there already! I just removed the huge tips so the stop short of the bumper. Im going to weld in v band clamps and have two sets of tips. one set straight out and the second set will 90 degree turn to the passenger side for when I go to tracks with sound limits so I can point them away from the sound meter.
Oh gotcha, it's a little hard to see it right now.

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
check your abs lines in the back to make sure they are tied down and away from the tires. if they are rubbing, it will make that sound...ask me how i know....
car looks great.

DougNuts

'18 F150
Established Member
Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the IRS. I bought an IRS that turned out to have a completely trashed differential, so I'm going with MM parts on the SRA for now. Due to that, I'm guessing it will be 2020 before I bother installing the IRS. :mad:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
check your abs lines in the back to make sure they are tied down and away from the tires. if they are rubbing, it will make that sound...ask me how i know....
car looks great.

I will check again but I was sure to tie them off. It sounds just like a brake squeal however doesn't start till after I start moving and doesn't go away when I hit the brakes.

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the IRS. I bought an IRS that turned out to have a completely trashed differential, so I'm going with MM parts on the SRA for now. Due to that, I'm guessing it will be 2020 before I bother installing the IRS. :mad:

That sucks! You won't be disappointed with the MM SRA setup. I love it on my 85.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Did a little more work on the car this weekend.

The previous issue I mentioned where the passenger side bracket wouldn't sit all the way flush to the sub frame rail due to being tweaked. I thought to myself that was a large distance and it didn't look that far off.

Well what happened was the tank and spare tire well was pushed forward and that was catching. I ended up cutting access holes in the spare tire well and the cradle slipped right in.

Took this over to a friends house and got my rear brackets welded in. In progress pic. welded along the front, back and bottom.

31596615137_d4fc653fef_k.jpg

Now the last piece to the puzzle is to get this thing aligned which should take place in the morning.

Already signed up for the next track weekend coming up in January. Cant wait to bring you guys some pics and videos as well as reporting back on the suspension.

45623456445_3bfe2f3e3d_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread