98 Cobra dedicated track build thread

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well guys, several of you have asked for it and here it is... A build thread for my new to me Cobra.

Many of you may have read my 3 year build thread for my 85 GT here ==> 85 GT Build. Now that car is done I have quickly come to the conclusion that car is far too nice to track. So I decided to buy a dedicated track car.

I picked up a 1998 Cobra with only 25k miles on the clock. Many may say that I am crazy for taking such a nice car apart and flogging on it and possibly ruining it. Here is where there is more to the story. This car is very nice without a doubt however it is a salvage title car due to it being rear ended about 2 years ago. I was able to find pics of the damage and it certainly needed a new bumper, trunk, and some quarter panel work. The work done from 5 ft away looks great... but up close there is some evidence in the rear to someone who knows what they are looking for.

When I went to test drive the car I ended up smelling fuel so I knew there was something wrong there and thought the worst was a tank puncture. No big deal just another thing to haggle the price with. When pulling the trunk liners back I was able to see where the damage was not cut out, it was just pounded back. Excellent, more negotiating power.

Car drove out perfect so I know I wanted it, I don't care how horrible it was fixed... I am just going to tear it down and beat the crap out of the car either way. The car was for sale for a year. I ended up lowballing him and brought the car home.

So far I have seen the car has welded in Flowmaster mufflers, generic lowering springs (they are red and don't say ebiach so I assume generic). Wheel spacers on the rear and a decently expensive stereo system.

Here are some pics.

41795731071_f9cb7576a4_k.jpg
Untitled by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

41796809782_338a785754_k.jpg

Interior should bring me some play money.

41796810082_b108aec9c8_k.jpg
41796811682_3b483660d7_k.jpg

I tore out the stereo and began ripping the trunk panels out. Here you can see where there was damage and it was pounded out.

40032354940_910910104c_k.jpg
41796812422_193374b91b_k.jpg
41796812842_452e9a970b_k.jpg
41796812622_c40f88256d_k.jpg

It was hit hard enough to bend the spare wheel.

40032356460_8d23bfaa00_k.jpg

On my way home my friend told me when I would turn left I would dump... and I mean dump fuel out... Well I dropped the tank to see what was going on and sure enough it was the filler neck gasket. So I replaced that and the fuel filter.

27970363178_ff31a2ad8f_k.jpg
27970362938_ed75a0d279_k.jpg

Here you can see more damage.

27970362908_864f934626_k.jpg
27970363528_8aa5eab983_k.jpg

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member

Murder Snake

SnakeBT
Established Member
looks like an unmolested car that is now going to be severely molested!! you got a lot of good craigslist materiai to sell. ready to see more!!!!!!!!!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
looks like an unmolested car that is now going to be severely molested!! you got a lot of good craigslist materiai to sell. ready to see more!!!!!!!!!

Im listing things now as we speak lol. I hope selling stuff will afford me to buy new parts! lol.

Looks like a good pro touring candidate.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Eventually it should be well equipped but for the time being I am going to focus on fundamentals. Learn to be a fast driver with a slow car. Once I get that I will upgrade the car's suspension.

lawdog302

Lets roll with it
Established Member
Good luck with the new build! Be careful or its gonna end up like the gt and you wont want to track this car either lol!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I wish the seats were charcoal or black. My 02 GT needs new seats.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Yeah, tan will be a tough sell.

Good luck with the new build! Be careful or its gonna end up like the gt and you wont want to track this car either lol!

HAHA! Knowing the damage that was done I dont think I could ever feel that way. Its like trying to marry an ex hooker.... No matter how good she is now all you can think about is the hundreds of others who paid for it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Congrats & holy bad repair work Batman! Hope you paid a stupid cheap price. I kind of want another 96-98 Cobra, but only if stupid cheap & I can just drive it. Not looking for a project.

wkornf

Established Member
very nice, hope you get it on the track soon. I'm doing the same project with a 99. just got it running last week with a fresh rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Congrats & holy bad repair work Batman! Hope you paid a stupid cheap price. I kind of want another 96-98 Cobra, but only if stupid cheap & I can just drive it. Not looking for a project.

Thanks, and yeah its pretty half assed. I saw it immediately when looking at the car and it was a negotiation point. I personally feel I got a great deal given the drive line is only 25k miles and the damage was only in the rear.

I wasnt looking for a project either which is why this is nice. I can take it to the track today and be fine... but like everything else I cant leave it alone lol.

Rare40th

Established Member
Well.... now I'm not so bothered about you making it a track car given it's mileage and condition. I agree, I believe someone here is selling some RK's.... :rolleyes: I should get off my high horse and find a damn 94 RR Cobra... Good luck with the build.
Are you gonna keep the 4V in it or switch to something that revs to the moon like your 363?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well.... now I'm not so bothered about you making it a track car given it's mileage and condition. I agree, I believe someone here is selling some RK's.... :rolleyes: I should get off my high horse and find a damn 94 RR Cobra... Good luck with the build.
Are you gonna keep the 4V in it or switch to something that revs to the moon like your 363?

Lol. Same here, it won’t ever be perfect so might as well beat the shit out of it.

You thinking about the plasmas? THey are a square setup and have a pending sale. I’m taking this one slow.

Right now the driveline will stay stock. In the future I will probably do a stout pushrod engine. I love my 363 so probably go that route.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Made a little more progress tonight.

Removed the head units and center console. A shifter is on the must buy asap list.
40053239040_b441b8a319_k.jpg

The rear is looking pretty bare, removed the Mach 460 speakers and amps, seat belts, all panels in the rear.

41817435612_41aaf8c694_k.jpg
41817436142_772ba0f957_k.jpg

My pile of parts is growing... Id love to find local buyers for all this crap!

41817436152_7bff32e039_k.jpg

Tomorrow I will end up pulling out the seats, carpet and headliner. I will be putting the seats back in since I have a track day scheduled for May 19th and 20th.

Users who are viewing this thread