97 CobraVS.99 GT convertible

Sith

Banned
joegt38 said:
There jumpin on me and Im defending myself and its fun cause Im not mad. So why am I wrong?

You're wrong because you think a Mustang GT (pre 05) will outrun a Cobra in the quartermile (in all equal conditions) which is simply not true. You can't provide one link to back it up.

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
BadBirdLT1 said:
does anyone know how to use the edit button so you dont have to make 98723980732 posts in a row

Click the post u want, the edit button, and type what u want. I thought we could delete posts too but nope lol

screaminyellow7

Established Member
I have an 01 GT, the 01+ have a higher compression engine. I pulled a 13.9 with a bassani O/R x-pipe, and stage 2 flowmasters thats it, everything else stock. But i had some good motivation. I was pissed after a crappy earlier run and there was a srt4 in the lane right next to me, and i said to myself "He's not F***ing beating me!" I had a wicked good launch, he was up just about a half a car and then i reeled him in. But the whole time i was pissed, So i basically got into a fight with my car, and i ended up finishing first but he ran a 13.7 i ran a 13.9@100mph. Funny how that turns out.

Last edited:

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
joegt38 said:
:bs: :bash:

Are you ok there? :poke:

Does your head hurt?

Actually no, your a f***ing idiot. Badboylt1 said that the Cobra weights a few hundred pounds more than a GT :bs: You guys think that the better downlow torque is going to make the GT pull a Cobra through the 1/4 :bs: As said many times before in this thread when do you go below 4000rpm when your racing besides the launch???Cobras do not lack that much in downlow torque to where they will lose a 1/4 run because of it.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
No sense in arguing. It's waste of time. I'm an ignorant Cobra owner who doesn't crap about how my car runs compared to my girlfriends 99 GT:shrug: Maybe I'll buy a supercharger and then MAYBE I'll be able to beat a stock GT. It will be close considering the GT's are pushing 500 ft lbs of torque below 2000 rpm and they are 1000 pounds lighter. When I get all this done I'll go race my girlfriends GT with her o/r h and flowmasters (I know, modded GT=scary) and post the results.

Sith

Banned
Black98COBRA said:
No sense in arguing. It's waste of time. I'm an ignorant Cobra owner who doesn't crap about how my car runs compared to my girlfriends 99 GT:shrug: Maybe I'll buy a supercharger and then MAYBE I'll be able to beat a stock GT. It will be close considering the GT's are pushing 500 ft lbs of torque below 2000 rpm and they are 1000 pounds lighter. When I get all this done I'll go race my girlfriends GT with her o/r h and flowmasters (I know, modded GT=scary) and post the results.

You don't stand a chance, that GT will put buslengths on you.

BadBirdLT1

Established Member
Black98COBRA said:

well said

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Well I posted much earlier and see you guys are still going at it. I've owned both, and the Cobra is quicker and much faster. I've also owned several 5.0's(85gt, 88lx, 94gt, 95gt) and two 4.6 gts(98 gt, and the 01 gt). I've now owned two Cobras, the current 04 and the above(pg 6) mentioned 97.

For you guys whom never driven a Cobra(96-98) you should try it. They are a blast to drive. Where the GT runs completely out of power and you have to shift(5300-5500), the Cobra starts pulling HARD. The first time I drove a friends 99 GT, I had just gotten out of my 97 Cobra. He hands me the keys and I punch it in first gear. The next thing I know I'm nailing the rev limiter, as I was expecting the surge of power that never came. It was still a quick car, just not a Cobra. Don't take this as a flame as I've had more Fords than most of you guys, I'm just giving an honest account of the vehicles.

And BTW, my Lightning was faster stock than the 01 Gt. 13.89 @ 98 completely stock.

cobra mike

rice killing king!
Established Member
and again i say we are not talking about one having a better driver, or one having better tire. or one having this or that. thats not what this is about. this is about witch car, in stock form, is faster with same conditions. no better drivers, or if ands or buts.
i have owend a 99 gt since new, and i have owend a 97 cobra since new the 99 was girlfriends car that i bought.
i ran both cars myself= same driver, i liked both cars equally.
ford rated 97 cobra 305 hp 300 tq
rord rates 99 gt 260hp 300tq both had same torqe.
i ran the gt stock several times = 14.35 @ 99 mph
i ran the 97 cobra stock 13.76 @103 mph
cobra even feels faster especially up top.
not sayin there are not faster gts and slower cobras. but as a general ruel with the same driver cobra will win... bottom line. i had both. end of story.

Sith

Banned
joegt38 said:
:bowdown: Cobra.....

Like I said you people are arrogant.
i·ro·ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
Dramatic irony.
Socratic irony.

joegt38

Established Member
Sith said:
i·ro·ny ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
Dramatic irony.
Socratic irony.
Mr 14.1 @ 101, your back I knew you couldn't resist this thread. You might as well type away it seems more fun the drivin your turd.

respond back when you hit 13s, well go a second at a time till ya catch up. :pop:

Emin

Banned
They dont call them "Cobras" for no reason just remember that guys... Cobra should be faster but sometimes its not because the car isent in good condition or the driver is crappy :shrug: But i would still pick a 99-04 GT over it just because it looks better and will probobly last longer, because I heard cobras tend to have problems past 100K miles because all the valves wont open :shrug: THEY ARE BOTH VERY GOOD CARS I dont know why u guys fight :shrug: :nono:

Sith

Banned
joegt38 said:
Mr 14.1 @ 101, your back I knew you couldn't resist this thread. You might as well type away it seems more fun the drivin your turd.

respond back when you hit 13s, well go a second at a time till ya catch up. :pop:

We've been over this before, first time ever at a track and my car was running lean (02 sensor is messed up), and I wasn't launching the car. I'll be sure to post my sub 14 ticket in a few weeks when I go back. :rolleyes: We won't even go into how bad a Cobra pulls on any (that includes 05) GT on the highway.

You still haven't provided us one website where the stock quartermile time of a <04 GT is faster then a 96-98 Cobra.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread