97 CobraVS.99 GT convertible

FSSNK

Established Member
Going back to the office today I ran across a yellow GT ragtop. We made a left turn and we both wanted to play. I started in second from probably around 30-35MPH. His car pulled hard,couldnt have been stock,I cant really say who wouldve won because we both had to let off twice due to traffic but that car sure did move for a GT ragtop.I have walked similar GT's in the past and this one did surprise me.We gave each other thumbs up and he turned off. If you are on the board "Good race dude!" I wanted to follow to find out what you have done but I really needed to get back to work. :beer:

QuikGT

Banned
97' cobras only run a 14 in the quarter stock......99 and up gts run around 13.8ish...i ran a 13.7 @ 101 w just catback exhaust....so i could imagine him putting up a good race if ur stock and hes stock... :beer:

wma8706

Established Member
QuikGT said:
97' cobras only run a 14 in the quarter stock......99 and up gts run around 13.8ish...i ran a 13.7 @ 101 w just catback exhaust....so i could imagine him putting up a good race if ur stock and hes stock... :beer:
13.8 for a 99 up gt is not the norm. It's been done but not very often. They are more like low 14 cars. Most 96-98 cobras I see run better times than the GT on average. 305 hp > 260 hp......esp. up top. The car in question here is a vert....on average run low 14's. Props on the 13.7 @ 101 for a basically stock GT :thumbsup:

ogc

Established Member
A well driven 96-98 Cobra can hit a 13.5@103-104...

I managed a 13.8@102 stock.

FSSNK

Established Member
My 97 is basically stock,CAI and flowmasters,and I have beat 99 and up HT coupes but this GT put up a good fight. He definetly was modded.Like I said ,it was a good race.

Sith

Banned
I hit 14.1 with my 96 cobra withOUT launching the car and it being my first time ever at a track.

I don't think 13.8-13.9 is out of the question...

Regardless, if you're going from a roll a 4v > 2v....so that's definetly impressive.

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
wma8706 said:
13.8 for a 99 up gt is not the norm. It's been done but not very often. They are more like low 14 cars. Most 96-98 cobras I see run better times than the GT on average. 305 hp > 260 hp......esp. up top. The car in question here is a vert....on average run low 14's. Props on the 13.7 @ 101 for a basically stock GT :thumbsup:

99 Up Gt's Run low 14's to high 13's.. My 2000GT Auto ran 14.3 with Flows and a CAI and its Auto.. I have seen 99 up Gt's Run better at the Track in stock form then alot of 96-98 Cobras ... A 99 Up Gt with a Good Driver will hit 13.9 All day Verts can run the same with a awesome driver but they run low 14's cause there verts :shrug: .... My friend ran a 13.9 at 98mph in his GT STOCK NOTHING car had 7000 miles on it! but both cars in my are pretty even the 96-98 Cobras can run the same with a Good Driver.. You wanna wake up a 96-98 Cobra do Gears and ohhh man u will feel the diff ;-) ...

but :thumbsup: on both cars..

97LT1Ws6

Elty Juan
Established Member
how can they near equal to eachother? 305hp vs 260hp ? no offense to the gt lovers on here but i always thought a 96-98 cobra would murder a 99+ gt coupe or vert. as far as the race good kill man and I think he was modded because a mid 13 second car vs a mid 14 second car shouldnt be close at all.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
97LT1Ws6 said:
how can they near equal to eachother? 305hp vs 260hp ? no offense to the gt lovers on here but i always thought a 96-98 cobra would murder a 99+ gt coupe or vert. as far as the race good kill man and I think he was modded because a mid 13 second car vs a mid 14 second car shouldnt be close at all.

First of all the Cobra is a faster car than a GT but a well driven GT can beat a 96-98 Cobra. Yes the cobra has more HP at 305 compared to the GT's 260 but the GT makes more TQ. Then you have to look at the cars curb weight. The GT's weight around 3250lbs and the Cobra is close to 3400lbs. Since the GT makes more low end power it can beat a cobra in the first two gears because it can get going faster since it does not have to rev up as high to make power. But once the cars hit third the cobra will pull. At the 1/4 mile marker the cars could appear to be even but the cobra will continue to pull past that. Both cars are fun but it depends on if you like your power down low or up high. I had an 00GT that I ran a best of 14.07 at 100mph when it was stock. I then added a plenum and throttle body and ran a 13.83 at 101.7. So a quick mod on the GT can make it run with and beat a cobra. Then again if you mod the cobra well.......Overall good race and dont underestimate either car. :coolman:

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
97LT1Ws6 said:

Look at the 1/4 mile times on both cars and there both the same.. Its not about Horsepower dude!! :bash: SRT-4 Run 14.2 to 13.9 Stock with way less Hp the Mustang.. and it runs the same at the 1999 -up GT or 96-98 Cobra....

Explain this?? Why is it that some of the newer LT-1's run high to mid 13's and the newer style LS1 on the Camaro and T/A Run the same in stock form???

Its not about Horsepower alone there are so many different factors that take in place !!

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
Rockett has a great point! ultimatly the cobra will be faster.... but in a 1/4 Race off the Line where it counts.. There both the Equal.. It would be a drivers race.. now past the 1/4 mile the cobra will start to pass and pull...

Here is another Example Race a Ls1 Off the Line a newer one like a 99 Ls1 Z28 Right vs a 00 Gt like mine Stock the GT will run anywhere from 14.1 to 13.9 and the Z28 from 13.9 to 13.7 .. Now Race that same z28 on the highway going lets say from a 40mph roll.. In Stock Form... We all kno that LS1 will make that Mustang seem like a 16sec car... cause there stronger on top..! Weight..Driver..Hp..Torque..Tranny ..Weather.. Street Temp.. Tires .. all these things can break you or make u on race day!

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
fastball19 said:
Rockett has a great point! ultimatly the cobra will be faster.... but in a 1/4 Race off the Line where it counts.. There both the Equal.. It would be a drivers race.. now past the 1/4 mile the cobra will start to pass and pull...

Here is another Example Race a Ls1 Off the Line a newer one like a 99 Ls1 Z28 Right vs a 00 Gt like mine Stock the GT will run anywhere from 14.1 to 13.9 and the Z28 from 13.9 to 13.7 .. Now Race that same z28 on the highway going lets say from a 40mph roll.. In Stock Form... We all kno that LS1 will make that Mustang seem like a 16sec car... cause there stronger on top..! Weight..Driver..Hp..Torque..Tranny ..Weather.. Street Temp.. Tires .. all these things can break you or make u on race day!

I agree, it all depends on where the car makes its power and how well the car is geared. A GT has a stronger first and second gear so in a street race it can hang with a LS1 but in third or on the freeway its over.

FSSNK

Established Member
Like I said we both had to shut em down due to traffic so I wasnt really able to wind out second in its upper RPM range.Didnt want to start off in first either because I just wouldve boiled the tires,theyre almost bald.I suppose I am spoiled on the power of my 03 that I did kinda underestimate the GT.I was just happy with a worthwhile race and not the usual ricer crap that I run into.I got revved on today by a riced Cavalier and I was in the Z06.Will they ever get a clue?

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Sith said:
me = bone stock :nono:

I ran that time with just a K&N. I'm hoping for at least mid 13's next time out with the LCA and UPA plus the mid pipe. So you still want to race? :burn:

Last edited:

BadBirdLT1

Established Member
GTs are weird machines..ive ran into some with well equipped drivers that are slow..especially from a roll..then there are others that seem to run like a raped ape..were they different from year to year between 99-04?

fastball19

South Florida King !
Established Member
BadBirdLT1 said:
GTs are weird machines..ive ran into some with well equipped drivers that are slow..especially from a roll..then there are others that seem to run like a raped ape..were they different from year to year between 99-04?

I think the 99-00 came with some 2v heads but with a different name ..I have always heard the 2000 and the 2001 where the years they were :thumbsup: ..but i dunno!

horseplay

Crazy MMA Junkie
Established Member
i have a auto gt.... it has only steeda u/d pullies, k/n filter, and air silencer delete and soon to be chip'd :) we beat another 99-04 mustang gt with exuast and 5 speed and god know's what else, we had 3 peeps and he and 3 peeps with the weight advantage going to him...plus we have stereo equipment in the trunk. my dad says he beat a new pontiac gto ? ... i hear they are heavy :shrug:

fastball19 said:
I think the 99-00 came with some 2v heads but with a different name ..I have always heard the 2000 and the 2001 where the years they were :thumbsup: ..but i dunno!

Users who are viewing this thread