97 CobraVS.99 GT convertible

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Emin said:
because I heard cobras tend to have problems past 100K miles because all the valves wont open

I'm not sure who told you that but they have no idea what they are talking about. There are many people on here that have Cobra's over 100k miles and don't have any problems. Maybe you are thinking of the IMRC's in the 96-98's. This is a set of plates in the secondary intake runner that opens above 3250 rpm. These are prone to gunking up and sticking/not opening. This have nothing to do with the valves and is easily fixed in about 3 hours and a pcv delete.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
I love this thread.

My GT is better.
No, my cobra is better.
Oh yeah, will a GT is better here.
ok, and a cobra is better here, whats your point?
Whats your point?
Exactly.
Exactly what.
Prove it!

:bored:

pottsy

Established Member
Sith said:
You still haven't provided us one website where the stock quartermile time of a <04 GT is faster then a 96-98 Cobra.

I thought this thread was dead?

Either way, I think the general consensus is that the Cobra is faster stock for stock, there are a few people that for some very strange reason think otherwise. Modded it's anyone's game, just like any other car.

Let it die..........

slow98svt

www.snma.net
Established Member
pottsy said:

Either way, I think the general consensus is that the Cobra is faster stock for stock, there are a few people that for some very strange reason think otherwise. Modded it's anyone's game, just like any other car.

Let it die..........

Ditto

Sith

Banned
pottsy said:

Let it die..........

I thought so too; apparently that guy bumped it.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
97LT1Ws6 is exactly right. I say this all the time on here lately. Get a 96-98 breathing better with just exhaust and CAI and they really open up. The biggest problem is traction. I have not seen a 99+GT have problem with traction unless it was s/c'd. 245 stock tires on a Cobra is a joke. I don't know what Ford was thinking. Geez, they put 255's on the 94-95's with the 240HP 5.0 engine.

97LT1Ws6 said:
how can they near equal to eachother? 305hp vs 260hp ? no offense to the gt lovers on here but i always thought a 96-98 cobra would murder a 99+ gt coupe or vert. as far as the race good kill man and I think he was modded because a mid 13 second car vs a mid 14 second car shouldnt be close at all.

4.6 Rocket

Established Member
Hersheyman said:
97LT1Ws6 is exactly right. I say this all the time on here lately. Get a 96-98 breathing better with just exhaust and CAI and they really open up. The biggest problem is traction. I have not seen a 99+GT have problem with traction unless it was s/c'd. 245 stock tires on a Cobra is a joke. I don't know what Ford was thinking. Geez, they put 255's on the 94-95's with the 240HP 5.0 engine.

What are you talking about. A 99+ GT should have more issues hooking up than a cobra since the GT makes a lot more torque down low. I have found that it is easier for a GT to burn out than a cobra. The cobra has a 4v which needs rpm to make power. 305hp at 5800rpm and 300lbs of torque at 4800. The 94-95 cobra did have 255/45/17's, but they made 240hp at 4800 rpm and 300lbs of torque and 3000rpm. There peak torque is a lot lower than the 4v cobra. If you have not seen a 99+ GT have traction problems, you must be blind. Dont make it seem that your cobra makes tons of power stock, the only cobra that should complain about traction stock is the 03-04.

pottsy

Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
What are you talking about. A 99+ GT should have more issues hooking up than a cobra since the GT makes a lot more torque down low. I have found that it is easier for a GT to burn out than a cobra. The cobra has a 4v which needs rpm to make power. 305hp at 5800rpm and 300lbs of torque at 4800. The 94-95 cobra did have 255/45/17's, but they made 240hp at 4800 rpm and 300lbs of torque and 3000rpm. There peak torque is a lot lower than the 4v cobra. If you have not seen a 99+ GT have traction problems, you must be blind. Dont make it seem that your cobra makes tons of power stock, the only cobra that should complain about traction stock is the 03-04.

Give it up already, seriously. Who cares which car is easier to burn out with? You're right....it's easy to spin the tires in the GT from a stop but the 4V will gladly break them loose towards the top of the gear...but again, who cares? Once again, let it die people, let it die.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You guys still going at this? Once again I'll state my facts. Stock 01 GT with 5spd, 14.0 @ 99. With Prochamer, mufflers, and CAI 13.73 @ 99(1.89 60ft on stock goodyears). 97 Cobra 13.44 @ 104.xx at FFW HRP in 98. Stock in Louisiana 13.7-.8 @ 101. With 4.10's, CAI, basani Xpipe 13.21 @ 106.7 with 2.0 60fts. Cobra will beat a GT in the 1/4 equal drivers, will RUN AWAY from a GT from any roll. This is not an opinion, this is fact.

BmoseleyINC

SVT Immortal
Established Member
It's ok. 4.6rocket just has Cobra envy :-D J/K
Gt is fast, Cobra is faster, both have they're perks ,and weaknesses.

4V>2V.

96laserRedcobra

Established Member
99 GT 260hp@5250rpm 300ft-lb@4000 rpm
cobra 305@5800 3000ft-lb@4800
98 gt 225@4750 290ft-lb@3500

I dont get it if you guys say that the 99+gt can beat or keep up with the cobra in the quarter mile because of the power it has down low. Then if you used the same idea with a 99gt vs. 98 gt wouldn't you say that the 98 has more power down low than the 99 so it could beat or keep up with the newer mustangs but everyone would say that the 98 is slower than the 99.

am I completly wrong on this or not :shrug:

joegt38

Established Member
Emin said:
They dont call them "Cobras" for no reason just remember that guys... Cobra should be faster but sometimes its not because the car isent in good condition or the driver is crappy :shrug: But i would still pick a 99-04 GT over it just because it looks better and will probobly last longer, because I heard cobras tend to have problems past 100K miles because all the valves wont open :shrug: THEY ARE BOTH VERY GOOD CARS I dont know why u guys fight :shrug: :nono:
It don't bother me I like both, Im just f@ckin with some of these d!cks on here. They think they have a Cobra so there better :bash:

joegt38

Established Member
Sith said:
We've been over this before, first time ever at a track and my car was running lean (02 sensor is messed up), and I wasn't launching the car. I'll be sure to post my sub 14 ticket in a few weeks when I go back. :rolleyes: We won't even go into how bad a Cobra pulls on any (that includes 05) GT on the highway.

You still haven't provided us one website where the stock quartermile time of a <04 GT is faster then a 96-98 Cobra.
You don't need to xplain to me, your cars slow and your tryin to cover for.

I don't care what ones faster Ive benn giving you guys sh!t to prove your a bunch a whinny little Cobra girls. Plus I go to the track I don't need to read online or in a magazine which cars faster. I seen stock GTs hit 13.9 and 13.8 (on a well prepped track). I have yet to see a Cobra run in the 13s stock even a few of the guys I know.

joegt38

Established Member
4.6 Rocket said:
I love this thread.

My GT is better.
No, my cobra is better.
Oh yeah, will a GT is better here.
ok, and a cobra is better here, whats your point?
Whats your point?
Exactly.
Exactly what.
Prove it!

Like I said there is no point Im far from stock I just love how just because ya own a GT and year Cobra tool just looks down on ya . This thread proves that. Im just f@ckin around its the internet I don't let it bother me...

joegt38

Established Member
black99lightnin said:
You guys still going at this? Once again I'll state my facts. Stock 01 GT with 5spd, 14.0 @ 99. With Prochamer, mufflers, and CAI 13.73 @ 99(1.89 60ft on stock goodyears). 97 Cobra 13.44 @ 104.xx at FFW HRP in 98. Stock in Louisiana 13.7-.8 @ 101. With 4.10's, CAI, basani Xpipe 13.21 @ 106.7 with 2.0 60fts. Cobra will beat a GT in the 1/4 equal drivers, will RUN AWAY from a GT from any roll. This is not an opinion, this is fact.
I know this but most ricer run from a roll :rollseyes

:fart:

J/K don't take it personal man, this thread is a JOKE!

Sith

Banned
joegt38 said:
You don't need to xplain to me, your cars slow and your tryin to cover for.

I don't care what ones faster Ive benn giving you guys sh!t to prove your a bunch a whinny little Cobra girls. Plus I go to the track I don't need to read online or in a magazine which cars faster. I seen stock GTs hit 13.9 and 13.8 (on a well prepped track). I have yet to see a Cobra run in the 13s stock even a few of the guys I know.

When debating on the internet try listening to what other people are telling you. I ran a 14.1 on a SHITTY track (orlando speedworld, read the reviews yourself), with no launch. I'll hit 13's easily more then likely the next time I go.

If my car is slow then a Mustang GT is frozen.

P.S. People hit as low as 13.6 in a stock Cobra :dw:

joegt38

Established Member
Sith said:
When debating on the internet try listening to what other people are telling you. I ran a 14.1 on a SHITTY track (orlando speedworld, read the reviews yourself), with no launch. I'll hit 13's easily more then likely the next time I go.

If my car is slow then a Mustang GT is frozen.

P.S. People hit as low as 13.6 in a stock Cobra :dw:
Really now I don't care its no big damn deal. I really hope you run your 13s it will not affect my life at all, good luck to you.

:burnout:

Sith

Banned
joegt38 said:
Really now I don't care its no big damn deal. I really hope you run your 13s it will not affect my life at all, good luck to you.

:burnout:

I will, and I'll be running faster then a <05GT. Thanks :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread