97 Cobra Restomod - Snow Pony

96dreamer

Established Member
Why not have yours shortened and re-balanced? Usually isn't that much if you have a local shop. On the u-joint make sure one of the needle bearings didn't fall out and wedge itself between u-joint body and cap. It would make it not seat about that much.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Ya know that was probably it but with the Iockdown crap I just ordered an aluminum one from AM :)

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
finally got some decent seats for this thing! these are from american muscle, their house brand seats, supposedly made in the saame factory as corbeau.

seats.jpg

The corbeau rails fit the seats perfectly so I suspect the rumors are true and I prefer them over corbeau because the name emblazoned on the seats doesn't really do it for me.

But alas my exuberance was somewhat hindered when I found this little nugget. My new super awesome subframe connector on the driver's side was about 1/8th of an inch from clearing the seat rail bracket.

rail2.jpg

So I sectioned it where the notches are and welded it with some clearance for the rail. Now it fits like a glove. Passenger side was just kissing the rail so that was cool.

rail1.jpg

And we're in! its SO flippin nice to finally be able to sit in my car and test the controls without my bony but sitting on that rail.
seats1.jpg

The seats are little plain but that's kind of what I'm going for at this stage. I like the material they are made from, seems more durable than the Corbeau A4's i had in my 240.
seats2.jpg

I'm just waiting on a driveshaft that AM or UPS lost and a thermostat housing to get her running.

Snow Pony Final Count Down list
  1. Get lower radiator hose
  2. Get thermostat for chevy 350
  3. Get MMR thermostat housing
  4. Get 99 cobra driveshaft
  5. Get coil cover gaskets
  6. Get battery
  7. Get battery relocation kit
  8. Install ground wires
  9. Bleed brakes/test for leak
  10. Fill trans
  11. Fill diff

High_Ram

Established Member
Those seats look nice! I can’t seem to find them on American Muscle’s website. How much do they go for?

thanks!

edit - Found them! So you’d recommend them over the A4s?

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
How do they sit, higher?

welp, i've never actually driven the car but they seem to sit just right. pretty low.

on another note, got my coil covers in finally. Driveshaft should be here tomorrow.
California is holding my thermostat housing hostage, though.

motor1.jpg

96GT226410

Established Member
What are you doing with your lower hose? I have the On3 Coolant Crossover Delete and a Mark VIII oil filter adapter, I just need to order a GT lower radiator hose. Are you going to drill any holes in your thermostat in the upper hose?

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I'll post pics of the thermostat housing when i get it in from MMR. that's the last thing i'm waiting on.

Car got the shaft today!
theshaft.jpg

ViciousBlack97

Established Member
How do they sit, higher?
If they're similar to the Corbeau Trailcats I just installed, the Corbeau seat bracket puts them at approximately the same height as the stock seats. I tried the adapter plates, but at 6'4, my knees were hitting the dash with the seat fully adjusted to the rear. I switched them out for the full brackets and I can fit comfortably now.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Exhaust fabrication has begun. its all steel. mufflers and materials are about 300 bucks. I'm strongly considering sectioning a couple inches out of the dynomax superturbo mufflers so they'll fit up into the car better.
ex6.jpg
ex5.jpg
ex4.jpg
ex1.jpg
ex3.jpg
ex2.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Amazon exhaust pipe kit.

I’ve done that many times... GREAT bang for the buck

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Yeah, mufflers, headers, and piping I'm into a full exhaust for only a thousand bucks. I'm thinking of having it ceramic coated when its done.

exhausting.jpg
duals1.jpg
duals2.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
So after a lot of thought i decided the best way to go for me was to use a dynomax superturbo same side exit muffler but they are JUST too large. however, if I section out 2-3 inches they'll fit just fine with plenty of clearance for the outside pipes to go down and out.

I'm trying to tuck everything as close to the body as possible. the mufflers would nee to hang down at an angle and it just looks janky imo. this is an image of a muffler with an overlay i got from a tech at dynomax of the internals. from the looks of it I shouldn't lose too much sound dampening.

customsuperturbo.png

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
So here's something pretty awesome. cut the lip off and the front portion just slides out. so not only do I get the additional space but I also can eliminate the 2.25" neck down (not a big deal but its nice) and this sucker just couldn't fit any better in the muffler hole.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

so I just gotta cap the end and it'll be GTG. it will be a smidge louder but running two superturbos is a pretty quiet combo for a V8 generally so... we'll see.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
The battery came in. 21 lbs. I'm leaning heavily to putting it where the rear passenger seat used to be. even in the box it sits flush with the rear bulkhead. its a sealed AGM battery.
braille.jpg
braille2.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Okay so the passenger muffler has the least space so I'm starting with this one. It'll sit right about here.
mufflermod3.jpg

it sits flush with this area of the car. see that little ramp? the outside pipe is going to come down and out through that thing instead of the usual way all the kits do it which has the muffler hanging down and the pipe making big U back to the rear of the car. that setup has it catching lots of air while looking bad.

mufflermod5.jpg

so the lowest part of the exhaust will be between the trans cross member and the headers. so the middle of the car where you'd scrape the most has everything tucked in the tunnel.

mufflermod4.jpg

this is the final pass before any kind of final finishing.

mufflermod2.jpg

so this is kind of what I'm talking about but the radius of the pipe will likely be much sharper to get it in the right position. I'm making little progress lately cause i jacked up my back chasing our gigantic 4 month old 40+ lb puppy around the other day.

mufflermod1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread