97 Cobra Restomod - Snow Pony

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
got the down pipes symetrical. the rod is just to make sure they stay locked until i get the h-pipe fabbed.
I wanted a straight shot from these pipes to the mufflers with nothing hanging below the car so placement is critical.

you can see a little in this pic how everything goes back up into the tunnel after the cross member.

h1.jpg

and here's the difference between the mufflers after the mod.

twins.jpg

Last edited:

streetpilot

Established Member
Fantastic progress and a thoroughly clean build. If you don’t mind, it would be great to hear this exhaust setup in an audio or vid when you get the car going. If yours works as well as it looks like it will, I’ll have a solution/new project to work on.

I’ve had an SVO/Borla setup in storage for years. I’ve always wanted to run it but after installing it and seeing how low the Borla kit sits and how much power/sound it kills, I took it off the car almost immediately wishing there was a better exhaust system to go with the skirts. Your solution looks perfect.

Poco

Established Member
StreetPilot you may want to check out Spin Tech mufflers . They make a muffler for side exit exhaust and sounded killer on my 69 S/C Rambler. I also used them on a 98' Cobra,straight through and woke up the dead.

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Fantastic progress and a thoroughly clean build. If you don’t mind, it would be great to hear this exhaust setup in an audio or vid when you get the car going. If yours works as well as it looks like it will, I’ll have a solution/new project to work on.

I’ve had an SVO/Borla setup in storage for years. I’ve always wanted to run it but after installing it and seeing how low the Borla kit sits and how much power/sound it kills, I took it off the car almost immediately wishing there was a better exhaust system to go with the skirts. Your solution looks perfect.

thanks man! if i were to do it again I'd first ask dynomax if they could make me the identical mufflers but shorter from the factory. I'd be willing to pay double since it took a while to get em done and sealed at the factory. I'm doubtful they'd accomodate it but ya never know till ya ask :)

I'll be posting videos and with good sound for sure.

@Poco i looked at spintech and wasn't able to find any mufflers that would fit and I wanted something that wasn't going to be super loud. thats why i landed with superturbos. in theory they should be quieter than a straight through or chambered of any sort.

Last edited:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Back is feeling better so i got the mufflers hung today. i know they're pretty close to the driveshaft but remember it'll have sidepipes so that'll necessitate some fairly rigid mounting points to keep the whole thing in place.

exhaust1.jpg
exhaust3.jpg
exhaust4.jpg
exhaust5.jpg
exhaust2clearance.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I'm VERY happy with the ground clearance. from the back of the car you can see the mufflers are higher than both subframes and the trans mount and the center most pipes where you'd scrape the most are tucked just about flush with the pinch welds.
mufflers4.jpg
mufflers5.jpg
mufflers3.jpg

streetpilot

Established Member
StreetPilot you may want to check out Spin Tech mufflers . They make a muffler for side exit exhaust and sounded killer on my 69 S/C Rambler. I also used them on a 98' Cobra,straight through and woke up the dead.

Yeah Spin Techs are brutal, very loud.

Thanks for the suggestion. I love the look of their stuff, especially the oval tubing that they offer. I was seriously considering them some time ago, but after an acquaintance ran them on his Cobra I backed off. I guess I've reached a point where that kind of brutality has become too much for me.:eek:

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Started on the side pipes today. so you can see the routing at this point.
I ovalled the pipes a smidge to just get everything level with the mufflers and keep from hitting the body.

sp4.jpg
sidepipes1.jpg

I'm going to see how loud it is with these just turned down here but if I decide to bring the pipes out the side I'll need to cut part of the pinch weld to clearance the pipe.

sp3.jpg

you gotta look closely but this is the view from about level with the pinch welds.
sp2.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
I added some flex pipes to help isolate the movement to the front of the exhaust since the rear has some fairly tight tolerances. I was going to ceramic coat it but at 23 bucks a foot I'm not feelin that for the entire exhaust. she's getting flat black bbq paint after i clean up the welds.

fin1.jpg

fin2.jpg

fin3.jpg

Also, got my battery relocation kit in.

bat1.jpg

so this is where the battery will live. its a sealed unit and one of the largest braille makes but only weighs 21 lbs. they're supposed to live a long time and it'll fit under the rear seat delete with room to spare. I'll make a bracket to hold it in place and put a rubber mat beneath it to isolate vibrations.

bat2.jpg

bat3.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
battery tray mostly done. gotta weld the tabs for the tie down hooks and maybe add a third mounting point on the bulkhead just to make double extra sure that this baby never gets loose in the cabin. its light but it ain't THAT light :D

battery1.jpg

battery3.jpg

I wish I was half as good a welder as I am a grinder but i guess I get by.

battery2.jpg

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
Super clean install. Looks really nice.

thanks! oh i forgot to mention that the bolts can be removed so that the tailpipe mounts can stay in place. I'm gonna get some stainless allenhead bolts and washers for a bit more clearance. each muffler section can be removed very easily.

I'm hoping that this won't be too loud so I can keep from having to take the pipes out the side of the car.

Users who are viewing this thread