7th-generation (2023) Chevrolet Camaro reportedly canceled, nameplate to die (again).

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I hope this is not the case. The Mustang could use some help, looking forward, to not become some AOC-inspired soy machine. I'd prefer competition over outright elimination in this case.
I know where you're coming from, brother, but there are some jaw dropping electric hyper-cars coming, along with what we already have. Like.....

The Rimac C_Two. 1,914hp. 0-60 in 1.85 seconds!! 9.1 1/4 mile estimate. 400 mile range. And then there's the upcoming Tesla Roadster with 0-60 in 1.9 seconds.
c_two_studio_front34_01.0.jpg

I'm not a big fan of electric power, but the performance numbers do catch my attention. Imagine an electric GT-500 or Corvette making 1,500hp or more from the factory. That excites me a bit, but the silence of the power-train seems boring as hell. My brother just bought a Tesla Model 3 (Performance) with 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. He paid pretty much the same price I paid for my G70 3.3T. He loves it, and the silence in the interior he said is overcome by the performance of the car. I'm honestly not a fan, but I have to give electric power credit on the performance end. The future of performance should be interesting. Maybe as these high cost hyper-cars start to become accepted by the automotive fans, we'll be more accepting of electric powered hi-performance cars that right now we frown upon. I'm not there yet, for sure. But maybe my mindset will change in favor of electric power one day. Maybe.

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I may not be a fan of GM, but I certainly want their competition. We Ford fans got lucky there were legit gearheads in charge at SVT and had the ear of the Ford family from 2003-2009. Should Camaro disappear and the Challenger/Charger go on unchanged for probably 15 years (lol) then I think Ford would get lazy. Its a different time unfortunately.

Also

**** Jim Hackett.

As much as Im a GM guy, Im a diehard Mustang guy and love that they make each other stay on top of their game

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
They are now just delaying.......

The bottom line is the ZL1 kicks the shit out of a GT350R on the road course. GT500 is going to be interesting, but sure isn't going to do it for under $65k. Unfortunately, most folks are interested in "living their life one 1/4 mile at a time."

Hopefully the LT5 will make it into a 2021+ Camaro.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
They are now just delaying.......

The bottom line is the ZL1 kicks the shit out of a GT350R on the road course. GT500 is going to be interesting, but sure isn't going to do it for under $65k. Unfortunately, most folks are interested in "living their life one 1/4 mile at a time."

Hopefully the LT5 will make it into a 2021+ Camaro.

I think ZL1 1LE vs GT500 is going to be very interesting. It basically comes down to DCT vs M6 vs A10. Also, what is the over/under that ford gets cooling wrong on the first run and they heat soak like a bitch?

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
As I mentioned else where - GM Learned NOTHING

The Gen6 suffers the same issue the Gen4 did - while technically better than the competition, it gave up to much in terms of practicality, comfort, looks and price point.

A Gen4 V6 was the price of a SN95 GT.

This is why Dodge numbers remain strong, because at the end of the day, it's a big comfortable good looking car.

Ultimately, I'm in total price shock anymore for what these cars cost and I'm sure that's what will do them in.

nickf2005

Established Member
How could they afford a Camaro when tuition and homes have skyrocketed?

Why point fingers when the banks are the ones profiting off everyone's work?
Point is, they don't want to spend the money on Camaros and the like.

This list isn't exactly the cheapest cars on the market. Who knows how reliable of a source this is.

Top 10 Most Popular Cars for Millennials » AutoGuide.com News

And... "Let's not point fingers, it's the banks' fault"??? They're a business. They exist to make money and pay their employees/investors who also work.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I know where you're coming from, brother, but there are some jaw dropping electric hyper-cars coming, along with what we already have. Like.....

The Rimac C_Two. 1,914hp. 0-60 in 1.85 seconds!! 9.1 1/4 mile estimate. 400 mile range. And then there's the upcoming Tesla Roadster with 0-60 in 1.9 seconds.
View attachment 1582116

I'm not a big fan of electric power, but the performance numbers do catch my attention. Imagine an electric GT-500 or Corvette making 1,500hp or more from the factory. That excites me a bit, but the silence of the power-train seems boring as hell. My brother just bought a Tesla Model 3 (Performance) with 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. He paid pretty much the same price I paid for my G70 3.3T. He loves it, and the silence in the interior he said is overcome by the performance of the car. I'm honestly not a fan, but I have to give electric power credit on the performance end. The future of performance should be interesting. Maybe as these high cost hyper-cars start to become accepted by the automotive fans, we'll be more accepting of electric powered hi-performance cars that right now we frown upon. I'm not there yet, for sure. But maybe my mindset will change in favor of electric power one day. Maybe.
I would drive the shit out of a Hybrid GT500. That would be obscene and still sound amazing

Kiohtee

Established Member
I wouldn't exactly blame millennials either. Businesses fail because of their own doing, they don't get the pass of blaming people for not liking their product. It's not a 'build it and they will come' kind of thing.

I don't discredit the Camaro's performance. It is indeed a well-performing car. However, it looks offensive to a lot of people (especially the '19+), the interior leaves a lot to be desired in terms of cabin space and blind spots, and for those looking for all out straight line killers, the Coyote is still king of the streets. Like someone else mentioned, just look at all of the heavy hitting YouTube-famous/TX2K cars. Plus the Mustang is a cheaper platform all around.

It sounds more like a GM/Chevrolet problem than a millennial problem. And I'm technically a millennial that tries not to make excuses for my generation's idiotic-ness.

jshen

Established Member
GM management incompetent!!! Camaro should have been modernized and made safe years ago....but all R&D goes to the losing Cadillac brand...
Same can be said for Ford mgt!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We need to re-visit this thread in, say, 3 years to see how badly things might have changed for the auto industry. Just sayin! o_O

1635563105290246~c5_100x100.jpg

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
No one forced a person to take out a loan and live beyond their means. Be fiscally responsible and quit blaming the banks and corporations.

Be fiscally responsible
Avoids overpriced pony car
::Shocked::

Fact is when you price out a Camaro to a Mustang it just doesn't pencil. Seems like they're almost 10k more.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
GM management incompetent!!! Camaro should have been modernized and made safe years ago....but all R&D goes to the losing Cadillac brand...
Same can be said for Ford mgt!!!!

Things have gotten so bad that all of FOMOCOs R&D budget is going to Cadillac?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The bottom line is the ZL1 kicks the shit out of a GT350R on the road course.

Only on the straight bits. Times and cornering data show the ZL1 doesn't quite corner as well as the GT350R. If you watch the videos on the 'Tube of owners tracking their cars, you'll see the ZL1 just doesn't have it in the corners and barely pulls away in the straights. So, "kicks the shit out of a GT350R" is quite the exaggeration. Equal drivers on a technical course, the ZL1 will never get away from the GT350R.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Only on the straight bits. Times and cornering data show the ZL1 doesn't quite corner as well as the GT350R. If you watch the videos on the 'Tube of owners tracking their cars, you'll see the ZL1 just doesn't have it in the corners and barely pulls away in the straights. So, "kicks the shit out of a GT350R" is quite the exaggeration. Equal drivers on a technical course, the ZL1 will never get away from the GT350R.

Isn't it all tire though? I read somewhere that the entirety of difference in times b/w 350 and R is due to the sport cups. Maybe this is true for Zl1 too?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Isn't it all tire though? I read somewhere that the entirety of difference in times b/w 350 and R is due to the sport cups. Maybe this is true for Zl1 too?

Nope. Somebody (can't remember who) did a test where they put some Cup 2s on a GT350 Track Pack, and the TP car was still 2 seconds slower than the R. The GT PP2 runs the same Cup 2s, but it's still +/-4 seconds behind the R. Don't discount the aero and suspension tuning. People forget about (or choose to ignore) that all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread