76mm TT setup.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Im going out of the country for a year or so and im looking for a good shop to install a nice setup while im out.

I know a lot of people here go with the 57mm or 60mm turbo setup, but I wanna go a little bigger. Im looking into a VT built 324 stroker and possibly get the turbo setup from THP. Does anyone know the credibility of this shop? I want the TT's to be up top where you can see and not get any oil drain-back. Who ever gets the car will be doing full drag suspension, roll cage, engine, turbo kit, heads, cams, tranny, rearend, etc, etc, etc.

I also need to know if by chance I can keep the car streetable with this setup on low boost. I want something that will spool fast when under a nice throttle push, but something I can actually take to the streets and play and it not be all over the place.

Please fill me in on any and all you think I should know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mobius

CDM 2009
Established Member
well i think twin 76mm is way to big to fast spool on the street. you may want to go slightly smaller perhaps 61-66mm. still very large and more than enough for 1200 rwhp

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Even out of a stroket motor? The car will be trailored to most events and just driven locally. Any other suggestions?

04svtdriver

I need another sports car
Established Member
MMM I agree with 76 You'll get huge TOP END but those babies will take awhile to spool. I guess if it's mostly a drag car then yeah, and that thing would be a highway queen. But Stoplight - Stoplight.... HMMM Maybe it would be too large of a turbo setup. What LITER will that give you like a 5.2 -5.3 ish or so? Is that pushrod or modular? I thought the biggest they could go with MOD was 5.1 or so. I think I'm gonna subscribe to this post this sounds like one mother of a project. Good luck!!

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Its gonna stay a mod motor. I think a 324 stroker s gonna be about a 5.3L. But the thing is that I want to do something different but I still want it to perform nicely on the streets. Anyone have any ideas? Money wont be an issue. I realy to throw $25,000+ into it.

Duran

Matador
Established Member
There are plenty of 4 bangers out there with a bigger turbo than than a T76. Sounds crazy but its true. Their displacement is 2.0 liter motor with a turbo almost the same size.Lol. Us guy's here have not made enough research on turbo's to know there are big A$$ turbos with a ball bearing exhaust wheel turbine's that would spool up fast. Its all about combination. You can buy a turbo with a huge compressor wheel (Cold Side) and an efficient yet small exhaust side wheel(hot side) that would spool up fast. If they can get a small motor like a 2.0L motor spool a turbo that size why cant we? The turbo to me should be bought seperate from the kit. I have not seen one kit out their that offers a badass turbo with their kit. Finding a proper turbo for your combination is very important in making good power. The turbo it self is going to cost you close to 2500.00 but you will be happy with the results. Go single turbo and make it easier on your self. Do a search under a Supra forums or even Honda-tech and you will see turbos making some crazy power with a small displacement motor. Supras are only 3.0L also. We have more displacement stock! Let me do some research on this and I will post a link.

Last edited:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Thanks for the links, DSG. I was told not to go single because a TT woud spool faster. Thats why I wanted to go twin and big. Is this true? I really want a street legal drag car basically.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Ive got 67's now and we're going to do our best to max them out...when we do, i'll probably switch to 72's for more power, just depends and that wont be til next spring at the earliest...

TRBO VNM

Jdaniel said:
Thanks for the links, DSG. I was told not to go single because a TT woud spool faster. Thats why I wanted to go twin and big. Is this true? I really want a street legal drag car basically.

so instead of going 1 big single you want to go with 2 big turbo's? The largest single kit available that I know of right now is a 76mm single from hellion. think about it, use 8 cylinders to drive one 76 or 4 cylinders per 76? you tell me which will spool faster.

if you went small twins, they have the potential of spooling faster than a large single. but there are a lot of other variables.

point is, change your thought process. twin large turbos aren't going to be better than a large single in regards to spool time.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
DSGTerminator said:
There are plenty of 4 bangers out there with a bigger turbo than than a T76. Sounds crazy but its true. Their displacement is 2.0 liter motor with a turbo almost the same size.Lol. Us guy's here have not made enough research on turbo's to know there are big A$$ turbos with a ball bearing exhaust wheel turbine's that would spool up fast. Its all about combination. You can buy a turbo with a huge compressor wheel (Cold Side) and an efficient yet small exhaust side wheel(hot side) that would spool up fast. If they can get a small motor like a 2.0L motor spool a turbo that size why cant we? The turbo to me should be bought seperate from the kit. I have not seen one kit out their that offers a badass turbo with their kit. Finding a proper turbo for your combination is very important in making good power. The turbo it self is going to cost you close to 2500.00 but you will be happy with the results. Go single turbo and make it easier on your self. Do a search under a Supra forums or even Honda-tech and you will see turbos making some crazy power with a small displacement motor. Supras are only 3.0L also. We have more displacement stock! Let me do some research on this and I will post a link.

The only big part of the problem is they actually use the power band. Majority of the people who are building up these cars, will not put the correct rod in the car. Yeah, we have forged H Beams from the factory, but we cannot rev our cars high, period. Throw a set of Billet I Beams in there or something with necessary hardware and you will be able to rev past 7K.

All of the Supras with the I-6 Rev the car to 9-10,000, which will give them time to actually use the power. Throw a big single on our car, we wont make peak power until 5K, and then we have to shift at 6,500. The turbo isn't even coming on in that range. Supras respond so well because they can use the power from 5,500-10,000.

If you want a street car, go with the 324 with 67's and maybe a small shot to spool them a little quicker. Traction is going to be key on that part though. If you want a fast track car, get a custom built single kit and throw a Automatic w/ a Transbrake in the car.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jdaniel said:
Its gonna stay a mod motor. I think a 324 stroker s gonna be about a 5.3L. But the thing is that I want to do something different but I still want it to perform nicely on the streets. Anyone have any ideas? Money wont be an issue. I realy to throw $25,000+ into it.

I think you should set a goal for youself. What do you actually want to accomplish? To perform nicely on the street, you could use a stock 4.6L with a budget single or twin kit and dip into the 10's @ over 135 easily.

If you want 324ci, thats all fine as well. Motor, Tranny, Turbo Kit, Fuel Kit and Suspension will be around the 25K mark.

By all means, I am not trying to talk you out of anything, but I think you are a bit on the overkill side. :D

Also, just think. 1100-1200 HP with some weight reduction, given track and driver, the car will be easily capable of 150+ Traps. Now you need a Parachute to even race!! :rockon:

TRBO VNM

yup, agree with Matt. And I think 135 mph you are suppose to have a full cage, not just an 8 point. gotta determine what your goals are and suffer the "consquences" of those goals if they force you to run all the proper safety equipment. then there is Buster running 9.5x's at 144mph and no cage with his single hellion. All depends on the tracks and how risky you want to be with your life. But first determine your goals.

SpookSVT

Established Member
First off what are your power goals? Twin 67's alone are good for over 1200rwhp+ and I believe 61's should be good for 1100rwhp. A 324 w/ twin 67's would be a bad streetcar. Unless your going for some silly 1400rwhp+ street car, I'd stay away from twin 76's.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Thats why i posted here. Im just trying to get an idea for what all I want to do. I have a start point... that being the 324 stroker. I HAVE to build the motor right (IE: I beam rods, hgh rev vale train, maybe a teksid block, ETC) so I may as well do the stroker while im at it or just throw a built 5.4 in it. Im guessing 61's or 67's is gonna be the limit. Do you guys know of any that dont sit down in the bumper? I would like a set that sits up high. As for the tranny, im gonna keep it a six speed for fun and build it to the heap. I have the stick axle going in as we speak.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
THP and HPP are the only turbo kit manufactuers that maintain the turbos in the engine bay. THP uses the Sullivan Lower/Upper Intake and HPP uses the Sullivan lower to a custom made sheetmetal I believe.

Do you have a power level or E/T you are trying to acheive?

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
No real power level. I just want somthing that pleases me for the moment and I will probably change it for something bigger after I get bored with it. The KB is great at close to 700 rwhp... but it has grown on me and I need bigger. While im at it, I just wanted to full drag the car.

Users who are viewing this thread