76mm TT setup.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
In that case, find a reputuble builder. Take him the car, and get a custom single kit with like a Y2K-88 or something of that size. Get a built automatic with a Transbrake and the proper size stall, you are able to build full boost off the line and hold on, it will be WAY different than your current setup.

XRQTOR

Banned
Jdaniel said:
No real power level. I just want somthing that pleases me for the moment and I will probably change it for something bigger after I get bored with it. The KB is great at close to 700 rwhp... but it has grown on me and I need bigger. While im at it, I just wanted to full drag the car.
Twin 61's and twin 2oo shot's :rockon: .

snakebitten1975

Turbo'd Vert
Established Member
I would think think 6o's are plenty, 76's would take longer to spool up, but if its for just drag racing then it can't hurt go bigger, I would think that a big single 88 or 91 would make the most power. There is a big single 91mm turbo from pro turbo or the kit made 1200 rwhp, running 8.20s in 1/4 at the last fun ford here, competing in the renegade class. Its possible, but the car is an all out race car.

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Going auto will be a must once your done making your power. Most people at that horsepower range(race/drag car) have an auto. More consistent times and you wont have to be shifting like your Bruce Lee. Even with an auto; trapping over 140+ will still be fun like the 6 speed. I dont know of any people in Houston that do auto conversions for our cars that have done it many times. Regarding setup go "single". I think its much easier for both your tuner and you. With an TT setup your going to need to run an extra feed line and return line. Extra piping to the turbo and extra inlet at the intercooler etc. But call presision and find a fast spooling "big turbo" or turbo's and I am sure 1K hp will be an everyday thing for you. "Got Traction"

Regarding Turbo lag; your car will be a different car. You will have more power but the car will never be as responsive like the blower/supercharger. Your just going to have to accept that. But I dont see why it would matter because when racing occurs blower or turbo. We will be high reving the car anyway. But I know with a turbo, you better have the car facing straight or you will be all over the place. With a turbo or turbos you will have to learn how to work around the lag. Either way bro; Auto or 6 speed; Single turbo or twin turbo, you will be in a new world of fun! Just do your research and then share your turbo trivia's.

Last edited:

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Last edited:

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Thanks a lot, fellows. Keep the ideas coming! Im getting a feel for what I want. Im now thinking of a large single instead of twins. Like I said... I want something that wont give me much lag at all on the street. Im not sure about going auto... but things tend to change every second in my thought process, so we will see.

2003Slobra

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jdaniel said:
Thanks a lot, fellows. Keep the ideas coming! Im getting a feel for what I want. Im now thinking of a large single instead of twins. Like I said... I want something that wont give me much lag at all on the street. Im not sure about going auto... but things tend to change every second in my thought process, so we will see.

Best thing I can recommend, is just find a goal and something you want to accomplish and go from there. A 324ci with Twin 60's would be hawt and spool very nicely. You also have to remember, a car will come in a lot faster on the street than compared to the dyno. If this is going to be a weekend cruiser that you can drive when you want, take to the track and turn up and just plain and simple have fun, twin 60's with a 6 SPD might be the way to go. Figure majority of the time, your races will start from 40+. 40+ MPH your car is in PERFECT load for the turbos. Your car will already be in proper RPM range, and if your not. Just slide your foot over the brake, apply it with the right amount of gas. Bring boost to 10 PSI and left off brake and mash gas then hold on!!!

There is so many different options it isn't even funny. Just think about it for a good deal of time and go from there!! Goodluck!! :pepper: :banana:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
Jdaniel said:
Im going out of the country for a year or so and im looking for a good shop to install a nice setup while im out.

I also need to know if by chance I can keep the car streetable with this setup on low boost. I want something that will spool fast when under a nice throttle push, but something I can actually take to the streets and play and it not be all over the place.

Please fill me in on any and all you think I should know.

Thanks in advance.

I'm doing a custom Y2K, so is a friend of mine. The shop that is doing it currently has 7 turbo cars just done or due to be built in inventory. 1 SOHC, 6 DOHC. 5 are complete custom kits, 2 are HP re-do's.

They are as follows:

HP fix-it's:

Twin 57's SOHC GT (T-56)
Twin 57's DOHC terminator (T-56)

Custom kits done or in process at the shop:

Single 76 on B-heads 96 cobra (stock t-56, owner only wants 600 rwhp)
Twin 72's (stepping down to twin 67's, explained below) on a VT324 teskid (upgraded T-56)
Y2K single on a VT 324 teskid (G-Force 1200hp rated T-56)
Y2K single on Navigator overbore block w/terminator heads (winntech? auto)
91mm "04 cobra" body in white, engine specs yet to be determined but will be a Ford modular. (PA C4)

If you're interested in a high quality shop with a in-house dyno to build you a kit drop me a PM and I'll talk with you more in private.

Moving on:

FWIW, do not do twin 76's on a street car. You will never spool them all the way up. My cousins VT 324 with twin72's starts spooling at 5500+ RPM's. We don't know where it stops as he won't take it past 7500 RPM's on pump gas. He was waiting on a VP 109 octane retune but decided to dump the 72's in favor of 67's due to streetability. Although 76's seem tempting (on the 72's his car put down over 750 rwhp at 12 PSI/91 octane breaking it in), twin 67's should be enough to get 1600 flywheel? :shrug:

If you are intent on doing twin 76's, most likely you'll have to do a stock stroke/billet rod setup. Based on the 72's which had a stroker, you'll need to rev the damn engine to the moon (9000+ RPM's if I took a guess) to get the full potential from the setup.

If you are going to do a 324, I'd highly suggest a single setup. Y2K singles flow -plently-. Problem is deciding where you want to stuff that monster.

Anyways here is what twin 72's look like:

kyleTT.gif

Drop me a PM if you want some contact info for turbo folks out here in PHX.

Last edited:

captain4g63

Idiot
Established Member
I'd go single. Like 50 BMG said, you'll never spool the twin 76mm turbos. The four cyl guys can get away with it reving to 9k, making power from 6-9k or so. Look into the GT47R.

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
03SBSVT said:
do you really wnat to do this when you try to race someone??

Sounds great.

Don't think exactly that would happen when I race someone cause I'd use a 2 step. On the street, a 650+ TS car is probably a bigger hassel out of the hole than that 800+ TT car.

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
i personally have a 5.0 stroker and twin 61mm turbos... it spools quick and is more than capable to eclipse 1200rwhp. one of thp's cars made 1200rwhp at 27psi with the twin 60's and more boost possible... there really is no reason to go any bigger!!! 99% of people out there have no idea how much power that is. twin 76's are just rediculous for our cars... days to spool, and not needed to make HUGE power.

keep in mind that my car makes more than 750rwhp on its very safe and docile street tune (11/1 a/f, 10 degrees timing, pump). as mentioned earlier, once you get used to the car, you'll soon learn to brake boost and then you have a car that just flat out moves INSTANTLY! it hits as hard as a shot of nos and pulls like a frieght train. i've raced some high nine and low ten second cars and it wasn't even close.

as a side note, be prepared to break bread... i spend considerably more than $25k on my setup. turboing your cobra is not for the faint of heart:coolman:

NIELSTTCOBRA

Got Boost?
Established Member
03SBSVT said:
twin turbo 850rwhp on the street.......do you really wnat to do this when you try to race someone?? http://videos.streetfire.net/search/saved/0/1e9c0e64-e192-4956-8171-9866013f64f8.htm

not all us spin like that on the street. i'm running a solid rear end with 335 hoosier drs and even in lower gears my car hooks very hard. much of the reason some of these turbo cars spin so hard is because they aren't running a built enough suspension and an aggressive enough tire. my will hook even harder once i install my fully adjustable tokikos and softer coilover springs.

Jpjr

Established Member
if your going away to fight then i think its a great goal if you have the bread. it's something you can monitor online and keep you excited about something waiting back home. don't go auto, buy a GT 500 first and mod from there.

03SBSVT

Banned
NIELSTTCOBRA said:
i personally have a 5.0 stroker and twin 61mm turbos... it spools quick and is more than capable to eclipse 1200rwhp. one of thp's cars made 1200rwhp at 27psi with the twin 60's and more boost possible... there really is no reason to go any bigger!!! 99% of people out there have no idea how much power that is. twin 76's are just rediculous for our cars... days to spool, and not needed to make HUGE power.

keep in mind that my car makes more than 750rwhp on its very safe and docile street tune (11/1 a/f, 10 degrees timing, pump). as mentioned earlier, once you get used to the car, you'll soon learn to brake boost and then you have a car that just flat out moves INSTANTLY! it hits as hard as a shot of nos and pulls like a frieght train. i've raced some high nine and low ten second cars and it wasn't even close.

as a side note, be prepared to break bread... i spend considerably more than $25k on my setup. turboing your cobra is not for the faint of heart:coolman:
how much would you say you had in your car money wise, including tuning and all the parts.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
Jpjr said:
if your going away to fight then i think its a great goal if you have the bread. it's something you can monitor online and keep you excited about something waiting back home. don't go auto, buy a GT 500 first and mod from there.

If you are referring to going away to fight as though im going to Iraq as a soldier... then no. Ive been there and done that in the initial push through Iraq. Im going over now as a civilian contractor making a considerable amount more and doing less. :D Im ready to spend what it costs... Im just doing all my research first.

carolinacat

...LOST
Established Member
What size a/r are were on thoes twin 72's on the turbine side? On a push rod 347 with twin bb t76 .58 on the turbine side full spool by 4k. I would think a 320ish mod motor would spool them just as well.

wojowojo16

Established Member
awax_cobrastang said:
I would just sell you car, and get a stock one. You are not going to use any of the equipment you have on there now. With all the money you have ill give you 25000.

I doubt he'll fall for that. He could sell parts off his car and at least get a start on his mods.

Users who are viewing this thread