6.4 Powerstroke Teardown/Build thread

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Mine makes enough power for me on the tow tune. All the mods on it have been added to make it work better and last longer.

That's what I want but...

My skepticism is two fold,

I'm concerned I won't be able to just use the tow tune...

And I'm concerned I'll like it too much...

What all do you have done?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That's what I want but...

My skepticism is two fold,

I'm concerned I won't be able to just use the tow tune...

And I'm concerned I'll like it too much...

What all do you have done?

The typical longevity cocktail plus dif and tranny pans. Coolant filter, synthetic fluids, ELC coolant, Motorcraft filters, etc.

Tezz500

Established Member
The typical longevity cocktail plus dif and tranny pans. Coolant filter, synthetic fluids, ELC coolant, Motorcraft filters, etc.

I'm not real keen on where to buy and how much I should be spending...

Do you have an actual break down on what you got installed? How well did your mpg go up?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
You can get a DPF delete pipe and a tuner (H&S MiniMaxx is going to be the best one) for under $2,000. You will see a significant increase in fuel mileage even on the stock power tune and your engine will thank you for removing the DPF. It does nothing but load heat into the engine and send it to an early death.

Tezz500

Established Member
You can get a DPF delete pipe and a tuner (H&S MiniMaxx is going to be the best one) for under $2,000. You will see a significant increase in fuel mileage even on the stock power tune and your engine will thank you for removing the DPF. It does nothing but load heat into the engine and send it to an early death.

Ok can you point me to a decent vendor?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

Here you go

http://www.rudysdiesel.com/_e/Chips...-109003/H_S_Mini_Maxx_Race_Tuner_Ford_6_4.htm

They're right at $2,000 for the programmer, but a delete pipe is only another $139. I see packages come up cheaper but lately there's been a couple people selling Bully Dog programmers with H&S software loaded and they try and pass them off as a real MiniMaxx. Rudy's is a reputable vendor, you can call them with any questions and they'll get you where you want to be.

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member

I get all my stuff from The Diesel Cartel, Josh is a great guy with very competitive prices. You can also check out No Limit Fabrication, he makes and sells his own intakes and intercooler piping as well as everything else. Very knowledgeable guy. Can't go wrong with either

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
$2,000 is crazy expensive for a tuner. I'd just buy an X4 from IDP.

Many more options for tuning with MCC, and the MiniMaxx acts as a monitor as well. Much more versatile than an SCT.

Tezz500

Established Member
$2,000 is crazy expensive for a tuner. I'd just buy an X4 from IDP.

Yea... I'm not gonna spend 2k on a tuner...

I'm thinking
EGR delete
DPF delete
Tuner

Shouldn't cost me any more that 12-1500 installed... And even that seems high to me... But that's what I'm willing to budget.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I really don't need all that for fuel mileage do I?

If you're strictly looking for fuel mileage (Forgot that you were.... sorry), you can just get a DPF-R device for a couple hundred bucks and that will let you delete the DPF. I wouldn't worry about the EGR unless you're having problems with it. It is a real pain in the ass to delete it if that's the only thing you're doing. If it isn't giving you problems, I'd wait until a bigger job comes along such as headgaskets and just have it done then.

You can get SCT tunes from many tuners and the X4 can act as a monitor as well.

I know a few people write tunes for SCT but MCC seems much more prominent. I did not know that the X4 has monitoring capabilities, good to know.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
One of the EGR coolers on my 6.4 started to leak at less than 30,000 miles. Caught it with oil analysis and confirmed it when I pulled the cooler.

Tezz500

Established Member
If you're strictly looking for fuel mileage (Forgot that you were.... sorry), you can just get a DPF-R device for a couple hundred bucks and that will let you delete the DPF. I wouldn't worry about the EGR unless you're having problems with it. It is a real pain in the ass to delete it if that's the only thing you're doing. If it isn't giving you problems, I'd wait until a bigger job comes along such as headgaskets and just have it done then.

I know a few people write tunes for SCT but MCC seems much more prominent. I did not know that the X4 has monitoring capabilities, good to know.

Ok cool ty.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Got it tore apart today. #1 rod is bent as suspected. Just enough to make the bottom of the piston come in contact with the counter weight of the crank. Can't even tell it's bent by eyeballing it.

8C7A97F9-7B28-4226-8487-1663BD6CE799_zpsnqh9lprk.jpg

24C46C2A-2E1D-40BB-8637-D0A5410B62D9_zpskla5izps.jpg

Where the counter weight was hitting
85127D80-3D20-4150-9B5F-3B3E76B8D0C3_zpspvkht6gt.jpg

RichM1983

Established Member
Looks like a lot of work!

What is the advantage of splitting the rod so the cap bolts on in that manner rather than the traditional way?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like a lot of work!

What is the advantage of splitting the rod so the cap bolts on in that manner rather than the traditional way?

It's for clearance reasons, the bolt heads would hit the bedplate if the caps were on the bottom like normal.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You planning on going aftermarket on the rods (insane money), reusing/rebuilding the stock ones, or going with new stock ones? It would be nice to have actual wristpin bushings in the stock rods.

Users who are viewing this thread