6.4 Powerstroke Teardown/Build thread

mrlrd1

Established Member
Thankfully the radiator problem has been figured out.

Since when? The cooling system design does not tolerate low coolant levels. Beyond the usual leaks, I've had several trucks come back with leaks from the updated hose ends.

DieselDr said:
Keep in mind this truck is modded. It is producing twice the torque it left the factory with on stock rods. U have to pay to play.

Valid point. But the repair expenses are numerous and extend far beyond the shortblock. What about all the stock trucks that require hundreds to thousands of dollars in repair per year just to keep them on the road?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Thankfully the radiator problem has been figured out.

Unfortuantely that is not the case. Top of the radiator mounts to the cab, bottom mounts to the frame. Until someone comes up with a better mounting solution that properly isolates the radiator from taking the brunt of any cab flex, these trucks will continue to eat radiators. My truck went through 3 Mishimoto radiators in 8 months, I have a brand new Ford OEM radiator waiting to go back in when it goes back together.

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
Looks like fun! I've had my 6.7 for almost a year now and love it. Tuned/deleted since 5k and runs great. So far they seem like very stout and reliable motors. Won't make quite the power as your truck just tuned/deleted but that might help them hold up much longer

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Unfortuantely that is not the case. Top of the radiator mounts to the cab, bottom mounts to the frame. Until someone comes up with a better mounting solution that properly isolates the radiator from taking the brunt of any cab flex, these trucks will continue to eat radiators. My truck went through 3 Mishimoto radiators in 8 months, I have a brand new Ford OEM radiator waiting to go back in when it goes back together.

Check out the new Kevlar cab mounts from Daystar. They prevent a lot of the flex that kills rads:

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1251

That's the fix I was speaking of. I'm not sure how some of these guys drive their trucks in order to pop as many radiators as they do.

Looks like fun! I've had my 6.7 for almost a year now and love it. Tuned/deleted since 5k and runs great. So far they seem like very stout and reliable motors. Won't make quite the power as your truck just tuned/deleted but that might help them hold up much longer

The 2015s make good power with the upgraded turbo.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Check out the new Kevlar cab mounts from Daystar. They prevent a lot of the flex that kills rads:

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1251

That's the fix I was speaking of. I'm not sure how some of these guys drive their trucks in order to pop as many radiators as they do.

The 2015s make good power with the upgraded turbo.

Lots of people have tried those mounts and they are garbage. Don't fit worth anything. Even trucks with brand new OEM mounts continue to eat radiators. The only true fix is to revise the mounting points. I'm going back to an OEM radiator because one lasted 125,000 miles in my truck until I had the bright idea to "upgrade" to the all aluminum one. That was a mistake.

As far as driving style goes, I live at the end of a mile long private drive that has seen better days. My truck certainly sees its fair share of cab flex everytime I drive it. I don't go flying down the road by any means but there's not much you can do to prevent flexing when the road is filled with dips and potholes.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

Nice. Being deleted so early will take care of 99% of problems you would have had with it. I've thought about selling mine for a 6.7 before, but the power potential of the 6.4 is too tempting for me. So far I've managed to hold off on going too crazy with it, I know once I talk myself into going with dual fuelers it will all be over. With the S366 on stock fuel system it's good for 600-650whp, that should be plenty for me for a while.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Lots of people have tried those mounts and they are garbage. Don't fit worth anything. Even trucks with brand new OEM mounts continue to eat radiators. The only true fix is to revise the mounting points. I'm going back to an OEM radiator because one lasted 125,000 miles in my truck until I had the bright idea to "upgrade" to the all aluminum one. That was a mistake.

As far as driving style goes, I live at the end of a mile long private drive that has seen better days. My truck certainly sees its fair share of cab flex everytime I drive it. I don't go flying down the road by any means but there's not much you can do to prevent flexing when the road is filled with dips and potholes.

I believe someone at SEMA said Daystar was updating their mounts, but who knows the time frame?

Nice. Being deleted so early will take care of 99% of problems you would have had with it. I've thought about selling mine for a 6.7 before, but the power potential of the 6.4 is too tempting for me. So far I've managed to hold off on going too crazy with it, I know once I talk myself into going with dual fuelers it will all be over. With the S366 on stock fuel system it's good for 600-650whp, that should be plenty for me for a while.

It seems like the 2015 6.7s are making much better power than the earlier ones.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
It seems like the 2015 6.7s are making much better power than the earlier ones.

I think the few people that have torn down the newer motors have said the turbo is he main difference. So it might be beneficial to get a 14 for cheaper and spend the leftover $ on a upgraded turbo swap and fuel.

As much as I want more power in my 14 250 I don't want to go any further. I know it's reliable now, pushing any more I might push that.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Shortblock pulled....

F0A49968-0B5B-41BD-AD03-BA76BF9875CE_zpsvptq3rmy.jpg

BacNBlak

WOODY
Established Member
Just read this thread....ugh. Every time I want to trade my 06 5.4 F150 I read something like this and change my mind. It might be a dog but its been reliable.

KUDOS to you for having the ambition and skill to pull this off yourself OP! Good luck and keep us posted.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah. Just need to find time to take it apart and find out exactly what is wrong and make sure the block is straight. It's going back together with coated International HD pistons, all new OEM bearings/seals/gaskets, new lifters, chromoly pushrods, and it already has ARP headstuds. Going to upgrade the manifolds and uppipes to ones from BD and also switching to a single turbo setup - most likely the one from H&S. Should be good for a reliable 650-700whp that is still useable for towing and plowing. My biggest problem is time and the weather, wife and I just had our first little one two months ago and we've been getting dumped on with snow so I haven't had much opportunity to work on it.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Yikes. Hang an injector with metal from the pump? Sorry about the luck man. She's going to be pricey

I'm starting to think the piston might be broken in the wrist pin area rather than the rod being bent, because the truck ran 100% normal other than the tick/knock. I'm sending the injectors out to MPD to get tested either way so we will see.

One thing you're always guaranteed when playing with diesels... It isn't going to be cheap.

Coxy

Established Member
No you got that right. If you can't flush 2 grand down the toilet without flinching, it's not the hobby to be in lol.
And really, even doing all the work yourself, 2 still won't get you very far.
Hope it's a relatively "simple" fix man, good luck.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No you got that right. If you can't flush 2 grand down the toilet without flinching, it's not the hobby to be in lol.
And really, even doing all the work yourself, 2 still won't get you very far.
Hope it's a relatively "simple" fix man, good luck.

Isn't that the truth, doing the headgaskets last year was a $2,500 job doing everything myself. Makes my head spin to see the builds out there and the money spent on them.... only thing I can figure is they must be single becuase my wife would have my head on a platter. :D

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
This is what's turned me off about tweaking my 6.4... It does exactly what I need it to do. I'd like some better MPG but other than that I don't really need 900hp in my diesel.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This is what's turned me off about tweaking my 6.4... It does exactly what I need it to do. I'd like some better MPG but other than that I don't really need 900hp in my diesel.

You need to at least delete the DPF.... You'll get a huge increase in fuel mileage, and that thing will kill your engine faster than anything else.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Mine makes enough power for me on the tow tune. All the mods on it have been added to make it work better and last longer.

Users who are viewing this thread