6.4 Powerstroke Teardown/Build thread

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I've noticed there are a few other Powerstroke owners on here... thought some of you might enjoy this

My 6.4 developed a nasty tick a couple weeks ago, so I am tearing it apart to find out why. I'm hoping that it is just a lifter and that it didn't take out the cam with it. I just did headgaskets and ARP studs on it last summer, so this is a lot sooner than I would like to be back in here.

This is what the 6.4 looks like when you open the hood (Picture taken before I did ARP studs last year.... notice all the dried coolant on the bottle)
10414530_10203777951677623_5942728145057484922_n_zpskcndzuct.jpg

After spending 10 or so hours removing everything in the way of getting the heads off, you are left with this
10999431_10205878354546382_5618142051342266314_n_zpsba7x5exa.jpg

10959682_10205878307745212_4128488474804427860_n_zps1uiv0vrs.jpg

I'm working on this in what little spare time I have, between having our son 6 weeks ago and it being about 10*F outside right now it's been slow going. Next step it to pop the heads off and pull the lifters to see if one of them is my problem.

Plans for it when it goes back together are OEM lifters, chromolly pushrods, RCD cold air pipe and intake elbow, No Limit intake, and a single turbo setup with a Borg Warner S366.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Holy shit, that's a lot of stuff in the way. Another reason I am glad I went with the V10.

Diesel definitely isn't for everyone. Expensive to maintain, more expenive to fix, and even more expensive yet if you have to pay someone to fix them. On the other hand this truck makes 600whp/1300wtq on a tune/deletes only, returns 20+ MPG on the highway, and tows anything without issue. I love the thing, even if it is a real pain sometimes.

Last edited:

Joewee500

Established Member
I love diesels. My 05 cummins took 8k to reliably run with a tune/delete 6.4. My '14 ram diesel is staying stock. Way too many $$$ to play with these new ones.

stroked mach

Established Member
love the power of my old 12v and as said the20plus mpg, good luck I hear they are fast as hell with a little work, or in your case a lot of work

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Diesel definitely isn't for everyone. Expensive to maintain, more expenive to fix, and even more expensive yet if you have to pay someone to fix them. On the other hand this truck makes 600whp/1300wtq on a tune/deletes only, returns 20+ MPG on the highway, and tows anything without issue. I love the thing, even if it is a real pain sometimes.

What do you have done to your truck to get 20+ mph?? I'm looking to get some better economy out of my 6.4

hotrodjcc

Established Member
Damn, I didn't think you could pull the heads without lifting the cab. I've been delaying in putting my EGR cooler delete kit on. How many miles on her? Good Luck!

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
What do you have done to your truck to get 20+ mph?? I'm looking to get some better economy out of my 6.4

Delete the DPF, run a hot tune, and keep your foot out of it.

Damn, I didn't think you could pull the heads without lifting the cab. I've been delaying in putting my EGR cooler delete kit on. How many miles on her? Good Luck!

Thank, truck has 145,xxx miles on it right now. Just did headgaskets and studs at 140,000.

The internet likes to spread that rumor, but the Ford service manual has instructions to do every single job on the truck cab off as well as cab on. The only part that is truly a pain with the cab on is getting to the uppipe bolts on the back of the turbos. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

EGR delete is one of the first things I did when I got my truck. It's a crap job if it's your first time doing it, just go into it expecting it to be a pain and take a while and you'll be fine.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member

Delete the DPF, run a hot tune, and keep your foot out of it.

Thanks, truck has 145,xxx miles on it right now.

The internet likes to spread that rumor, but the Ford service manual has instructions to do every single job on the truck cab off as well as cab on. The only part that is truly a pain with the cab on is getting to the uppipe bolts on the back of the turbos. Other than that it's pretty straight forward.

EGR delete is one of the first things I did when I got my truck. It's a crap job if it's your first time doing it, just go into it expecting it to be a pain and take a while and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
No they will come off without moving the cab. You have to wiggle them out just the right way but it's possible.

Bloody Wheels

Established Member
Another 6.4 owner here. Love my truck. Spartan tuned with lots of power and 20+ mpg. It is intimidating when opening the hood. Hope I don't have to do what your doing anytime soon.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Another 6.4 owner here. Love my truck. Spartan tuned with lots of power and 20+ mpg. It is intimidating when opening the hood. Hope I don't have to do what your doing anytime soon.

It'll happen sooner or later.... stock headbolts don't like any sort of increased cylinder pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread