$39,090

oilwell1415

Established Member
This isn't just the Mustang, this is all vehicles. I paid $28.5 brand new for my Lightning that stickered $32460. We were driving through a lot a while back and a basic V8 F-150 is $40k now. My wife's Camaro SS vert was about $30k and now a V6 model is $35k.

Thank the unions is all I have to say about that. I read a story a while back that said UAW companies spend about $80/hr on labor for every car they build, while non-UAW companies are only spending about $35/hr. This only gets worse as people are laid off, retire, and get raises they don't deserve just because they put in some time. In order to offset the cost of labor they have to cut corners elsewhere to remain cost competititive.

RGrossman

Established Member
Used for me from now on I guess. I make decent money but my salary has been stuck for the last 2 years and a 600+ car payment is absurd.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
If you really want a half way decent stang, buying used is another option. I found several very nice 08-09 GTs locally with 25k-50k miles on them for $18-20K. Two of them were nothing more than daily drivers that have never been modded or abused at the track. Throw a couple of grand into mods and you got yourself a 12 second ride.

Give it some time, another year or so, there will be a used market for the new 5.0s. I suspect in 2-4 years you could pic up a nice used 5.0 for $20-25$ depending on the condition.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
It is pretty hard to stomach the fact that a base gt will cost you a $500 a month payment and a base gt vert will be over $600 a month. I read somewhere that a vert is a $5000 option. In 04 a vert was somewhere in the $2-3k range. Then you have to add another $200 a month for insurrance. Buying a new mustang gt is in the same payment range as a buying a home or condo in the low $100s range.

not a real big problem with that payment, i was paying $530/mo on my 03 Cobra when i financed $25k.

Plus remember, youre still talking about financing straight up MSRP with no down and no negotiating skills. You need to find invoice and work up from that, till you get to a number where both parties are comfortable on. Even if they sold the car at invoice theyll still make money. Hard part, is they really DONT need your sale at this point, that car is gonna move regardless if you buy it or not.

Homes in the $100k range will have a $600 mortgage but after insurance and whatnot, youre still looking at a $900 house payment.

oilwell1415

Established Member
not a real big problem with that payment, i was paying $530/mo on my 03 Cobra when i financed $25k.

Plus remember, youre still talking about financing straight up MSRP with no down and no negotiating skills. You need to find invoice and work up from that, till you get to a number where both parties are comfortable on. Even if they sold the car at invoice theyll still make money. Hard part, is they really DONT need your sale at this point, that car is gonna move regardless if you buy it or not.

Homes in the $100k range will have a $600 mortgage but after insurance and whatnot, youre still looking at a $900 house payment.

+1 and I'll add that cash talks. I bought my L from one of the corporate dealers that "didn't negotiate prices". When I ordered it they wanted $500 over sticker for it and wouldn't budge. I offered $28,500 which was actually below invoice by a little bit. They were still making around $800 on it at that point, which is plenty to type stuff into a computer and wait. I got up to leave and the guy said to call back when I was ready to buy. When I told him I would write him a check right then he gave me the price I wanted.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
My wife's Camaro SS vert was about $30k and now a V6 model is $35k.

Where, and with what options? :dw: The 2SS is less than that...

To compare, our 99 SS with cloth, no options, and base stereo stickered at $32k. 11 years later, our 2010 SS with leather, nice stereo, HIDs, heated seats, steering wheel stereo controls, Brembos, etc etc stickered at 36k. 4 grand for all those options seems great to me :shrug:

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
its getting ridiculous. no one believes me that the 03/04 Cobras stickered at mid to high 30s.

Yeah I remember this because we were looking at those and the machs back in 04. Wound up going with the mach cause we talked them down to 27k with 14 miles on her:pepper:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah i dont get it either.

prices of everything is increasing, yet costs of manufactured goods are dropping to keep selling to distributors, employee wages are all on a freeze, even in companies that are still posting profit gains (and sometimes even record ones) and not letting that trickle down to middle america.

I think soon the standard of living in america is going to take a big step backwards, as families are struggling with ever increasing taxation, increased costs, and no increase in pay (and most cases, decreases due to layoffs), not to mention employee morale is at an insane all time low, its almost slavery, people doing the jobs of 5 positions that have been let go, still asked to do each 100%, and absolutely no bump in pay for the increased responsibilities. I know a few that are blindly working themselves right into either the looney bin or a grave, justified by "well, i still got a job".

This can be said for everything, even crappy cars are too much. But according to inflation calculators it's pretty much the same it's been for the past 20 years.

there is no question that the prices of goods and services are/were increasing at levels that were not being matched by salaries

but personally i noticed these distinct changes happening around 2000 or so, not so much 1990.

between 1990 and 2000 gas and housing seemed pretty steady along with salaries, but then around 2000 to present it seemed like gas and housing essentially doubled very rapidly, while salaries did not keep up

as far as a new mustang, i could barely afford my terminator when i bought it new. i was like an indentured servant for the life of the loan lol. but i love my car so it was worth it. i can't understand how folks can afford these 40k car notes each month either!!

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I just looked a a 2010 GT coupe YESTERDAY and it was stickered for that much with the glass roof. I really feel for the local dealer trying to sell it with the 11's coming out. Ouch.

OBTW. My 1990 GT coupe was $16,400.00 brand new. She'll be celebrating her 20th birthday in August 2010 and she looks as good and runs better than when she was new. Someone say antique license plates soon.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
39K is a drop in the bucket for the vast majority of this website!

SpectorV

Established Member
ah inflation, my 03 cobra vert was 39k new, just how it goes.... just because a mustang was 16k back in the 80's-90's doesnt mean it should cost the same now... the lower is losing ground slowly :(

Blackness03

Established Member
screw that.. i'll buy a used gt500. NEVER will i bend over at a dealership on a new car. and i am 22. the way i see is, if i cant drive it for alittle while and sell it for the same or profit. i dont want it.

Guy Fawkes

Established Member
If you really want a half way decent stang, buying used is another option. I found several very nice 08-09 GTs locally with 25k-50k miles on them for $18-20K. Two of them were nothing more than daily drivers that have never been modded or abused at the track. Throw a couple of grand into mods and you got yourself a 12 second ride.

Give it some time, another year or so, there will be a used market for the new 5.0s. I suspect in 2-4 years you could pic up a nice used 5.0 for $20-25$ depending on the condition.

Yeah I plan on getting a used 07-09 GT500 in about 6 months. They are about 38k around here for about 20k miles on them.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
Where, and with what options? :dw: The 2SS is less than that...

Speedway Chevrolet in Broken Arrow, OK (just outside Tulsa). I don't remember what options it had and the car is long gone. The only thing I remember is that it was yellow with black stripes and in addition to the sticker the dealer wanted $5k for their trouble, so roughly $40k for a V6 Camaro. That's the way all the new Camaros are here even though most dealers have 5 or 6 of them on the lot.

To compare, our 99 SS with cloth, no options, and base stereo stickered at $32k. 11 years later, our 2010 SS with leather, nice stereo, HIDs, heated seats, steering wheel stereo controls, Brembos, etc etc stickered at 36k. 4 grand for all those options seems great to me :shrug:

Wow, our 00 SS vert has all the options, including the SLP floormats, key chains, car cover, and it seems like one other item and we paid about $30k for it. I don't remember what the sticker was on it, but my wife could probably tell you. I want to say around $37k. Price is why she bought it in Texas. All the dealers here think they're made of gold. There was a pewter 99 T-top SS here at Riverside Chevy here for three years with a $39k sticker. That included $2500 for the Auburn diff (actual cost $800), $3000 for the SLP suspension (actual cost $1200), $1500 for the SLP engine option (which doesn't even exist), and several smaller items that they marked up about 300%. I don't know how they finally sold it or for how much.

Users who are viewing this thread