$39,090

1hot281

Established Member
My 2004 S281's MSRP was $43,688. I think $39k is a bargain for what you're getting. especially in like 12 to 24 months when you can get a certified used one for like $24k... 11 second ET's with bolt-on's? sign me up!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
I picked up a 2009.5 G8 gT last jume it had a Msrp of $35,165 and I drove it out for under $25k.

I don't want to sell it with the prices of the new cars.

yes a discountinued car from a defunk brand you can do that

Thats just crazy!!! I paid 42.5k for my 09 GT500 with MSRP of over 48k. Same moptions is 55-58k on a new 2011.

So much for being affordable. I guess we are out of a depression/recession. :shrug:

with the new 2010s coming, new body, the old models needed to be cleared

Your $20,000 back in 1990 has the same buying power as $34,000 today...looks like the prices of Mustangs are on par with the times to me. :??:

Love me some inflation and funny money!

not only inflation, but how about the difference in features?
In 1990:
ABS ?
Airbags (front/side/pass)?
Brakes ?
6sp gear box?
Gas Mileage?
Power seats/window/doors?
Key Fobs?

Etc.................

you get more car for that money today then you did then.....

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
as much as I have been thinking about getting this new GT, the price is just hard to stomach... I thought for sure I would get one but at this point, I will stick with the Cobra.

tistan

Established Member
yes a discountinued car from a defunk brand you can do that

with the new 2010s coming, new body, the old models needed to be cleared

In 1990:
ABS ?
Brakes ?
6sp gear box?
Gas Mileage?
Key Fobs?

Etc.................

No, today you get more crap that you don't need.

metaman

Established Member
I had always wanted a brand new sports car. So back in 2003 I bought a brand new 2003 Cobra. I ended up getting it for invoice + options. When it was all said and done after tax, tag, title, moderate extended warrantry and etc., the grand total was 36,xxx.

My payment when financed over 60 months was 630.00 / month. Now don't get me wrong, I still drive the cobra every day and have for over 6 years. It has been reliable and the performance was more than I expected it to be (still runs like new). On the other hand, now that I am older and wiser I would never bury myself underneath a car payment like that ever again.

I would rather drive a 6 year old car that is paid off and have money to have fun and have a life, then have the latest and greatest thing out. I figure that if the world does not end in 2012, by around 2013 the 2011 mustangs with relatively low miles will be in the low 20k range.

Honestly, the next car I will buy will probably be a used 4 banger civic so that I can park the Cobra and just play with it like the toy it was meant to be.

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
Sticker on my 2009 GT Vert was $38,500 and it's the biggest piece of sh*t I have ever owned...

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
I priced out f150s last year, and decided to keep my lightning. The crew cab I wanted with leather, 4x4, and sunroof was $48k. My bosses 08 f250 diesel 4x4 with all the options had the same sticker price as the 10 f150, and diesel motor is something like an $8k option. I was reading motor trend the other day and they had a maxed out option king ranch f250 diesel verses a maxed out dodge ram Laramie 2500 diesel, the king ranch had a $64k sticker and the dodge had a $52k sticker.

That's the thing, it's not just the nustang, or Fords for that matter. It's every new car. It's not like the Mustang isn't competive at it's price point. It is comparable in price with superior performance. Cars get more expensive. Fact of life. The good news is they also getter better tech, make more power, and offer better gas mileage.
Also, the car is more expensive to buy, so it will be more expensive when it is used.
I'm just glad our 08 GT was leased, otherwise we would surely be eating a turd sandwich getting rid of it. Probably not a huge demand for a GT that gets outpaced by a 6 cyl, lol.
For the one I would want though, I would almost rather have a used gt500 ;)

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
**** all that, I'd rather get a Fully Built Cobra for that price.

That's up to you and to each his/her own.. But the fact of the matter is alot of us in here like me have a family and if for some reason the 03/04 Termi was to take a sh!t on me/us, we would be screwd.. Imagine having to make payments on a 20k dollar lawn ornament.. And I just couldn't bring myself to drop 20K cash on a vehicle thats close to 10 years old.. Just my opinion..

Last edited:

Erick

Established Member
I feel that the 2003 Cobra MSRP of $35K-ish is more rediculous for 7-8yrs ago.
At least we have optional Brembo's, tunable EPAS, optional HID's, 6-spd trans, optional NAV, improved MPG, and a chassis that's not based on a '79 Fairmont.

According to Ford's site, a 5.0 is available at $30.5K

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
In 1990:
ABS ?
Brakes ?
6sp gear box?
Gas Mileage?
Key Fobs?

Etc.................

I'm not in disagreement that you get more for your money, but there are some contentions to note:
1990- no ABS on Mustang, but it was a normal option already on several vehicles(standard rear ABS on all pick ups), though not on many Fords or Chevies, the two most popular brands at the time, and with time, this shouldn't be an expensive item anymore.

It did come with a standard DSAirbag(SRS), which was one point that nearly killed the Mustang off, but Ford opted to just go with a non-adjustable column instead. Sad thing is, airbags weren't required till 1992, which means Ford could've used the time to make it work with an adjustable column. No other airbags had been "invented" yet, or so it seems. Today you can get one on a motorcycle...

Brakes:... Yep, they had brakes. I'm sure of it because I bought one and it had brakes... :lol1:

No 6spd, but I'm not sure which car got one back then.

Gas mileage... about 25mpg hwy on the 5.0L The 4banger could get in EXCESS of 35mpg, as hard as that is to believe. Thank our government.

The 90 Mustang typically got power windows and door locks, but only GT got power seats, and I think only on the driver side. It may also have only been a 'vert. option.

Key fobs were part of an alarm package, aftermarket of course. Today they just add a couple hundred to the price, without an alarm.

Point is, while there are several "standard features" available today, they're not all that much more than in 1990. ABS is standard, as are some airbags, on most vehicles. Keyfobs aren't often standard, though available. Power seats, windows, door locks... about the same as 1990.

So you will get some features not available then, including the 6spd and ABS, which you'll pay for in standard pricing. The rest you pay for as options.

I saw a small pic of the window sticker from a 90GT 'vert... rather pricy. When I traded my 90 LX for my 91LX 5.0, the sticker was under 18K out the door. It was no 2011 GT, but any means, but it did come with an automatic transmission and the "upgrade" 225/55/ZR16's and averaged 25mpg hwy for me.... I just went and pulled the original window sticker... I'm not gonna copy it(it looks terrible for some reason :eek: ) but for the sake of pricing.. Total window sticker... $16,394.00 ... Standard vehicle price was $14,055.00

Today, a "standard" GT cost more than twice as much. It's a better car, to be sure. That price better bring a better car.

If anyone for some reason wonders why I still have that sticker... I still own that car. Well, what's left of it. :rollseyes

Last edited:

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Its insane, pony cars have moved into a new class price wise. The sticker on my car was $22xxx, no options except for a 460 and 17" wheels.

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
I am obviously a Mustang guy but there are MANY other cars I would buy for $39k instead of a Mustang.

and what would those cars be? interesting to see what you would select that has the performance, options, build quality etc.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'm definitely a Mustang guy. Had more than I care to count, but I'll give a small synopsis through the years.

Highschool 1985 Mustang GT 12,xxx. AM/FM, 5sp, cruise control, pw,pl
later on....1995 Sapphire Blue GT $24,xxx leather, mach 460, 5spd, 17"trispokes

1997 Rio red Cobra...same options as the 95 GT....$27,xxx

2001 Zinc Yellow GT Premium....pretty much same stuff as the 95-97 cars except an indash 6 disc, instead of a radio/cassette and a cd player. $27K

2004 Redfire Cobra...$35K, same setup as the '01, except much better seats, and a shitload more power...etc...

2009 GT500, $46K, mach 500, HID, and ambient.. that's it.

These were sticker prices. Got about $3K off the '01 and 0% for 60 months. Got Xplan on the cobra so about $3300 off and 0% for 72 months. Got $4K off the Shelby but 4.9%.

So.....you can still get a base 2011 GT for about the same price as a 2001 premium GT or a 97 Cobra. Granted you don't get leather, but everything else is there, except you get a far superior automobile. Quit bitching and forgo all the BS options....sync, nav, etc.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I'm not in disagreement that you get more for your money, but there are some contentions to note:
1990- no ABS on Mustang, but it was a normal option already on several vehicles(standard rear ABS on all pick ups), though not on many Fords or Chevies, the two most popular brands at the time, and with time, this shouldn't be an expensive item anymore.

It did come with a standard DSAirbag(SRS), which was one point that nearly killed the Mustang off, but Ford opted to just go with a non-adjustable column instead. Sad thing is, airbags weren't required till 1992, which means Ford could've used the time to make it work with an adjustable column. No other airbags had been "invented" yet, or so it seems. Today you can get one on a motorcycle...

Brakes:... Yep, they had brakes. I'm sure of it because I bought one and it had brakes... :lol1:

No 6spd, but I'm not sure which car got one back then.

Gas mileage... about 25mpg hwy on the 5.0L The 4banger could get in EXCESS of 35mpg, as hard as that is to believe. Thank our government.

The 90 Mustang typically got power windows and door locks, but only GT got power seats, and I think only on the driver side. It may also have only been a 'vert. option.

Key fobs were part of an alarm package, aftermarket of course. Today they just add a couple hundred to the price, without an alarm.

Point is, while there are several "standard features" available today, they're not all that much more than in 1990. ABS is standard, as are some airbags, on most vehicles. Keyfobs aren't often standard, though available. Power seats, windows, door locks... about the same as 1990.

So you will get some features not available then, including the 6spd and ABS, which you'll pay for in standard pricing. The rest you pay for as options.

I saw a small pic of the window sticker from a 90GT 'vert... rather pricy. When I traded my 90 LX for my 91LX 5.0, the sticker was under 18K out the door. It was no 2011 GT, but any means, but it did come with an automatic transmission and the "upgrade" 225/55/ZR16's and averaged 25mpg hwy for me.... I just went and pulled the original window sticker... I'm not gonna copy it(it looks terrible for some reason :eek: ) but for the sake of pricing.. Total window sticker... $16,394.00 ... Standard vehicle price was $14,055.00

Today, a "standard" GT cost more than twice as much. It's a better car, to be sure. That price better bring a better car.

If anyone for some reason wonders why I still have that sticker... I still own that car. Well, what's left of it. :rollseyes

And there is much more car than the old foxes. Brakes were a joke on the 5.0's, small front discs and drums on the rear. Radio's were the first things to be yanked. Airbags, ABS, ESP, etc... all add to additional costs. I guess the owners of 64-66's would laugh at you as they only paid $2500-3500 for their cars new. It's all relative.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Its insane, pony cars have moved into a new class price wise. The sticker on my car was $22xxx, no options except for a 460 and 17" wheels.

And a no option 2011 GT is $29K. So $7K more over 12 years and that's unreasonable? It has almost double the horsepower, a 6speed gear box, better brakes, better suspension, and better interior. To get the hp from your new 99 would require a supercharger. Those run $5K so you're at $27K, but still left with a new edge gt.:beer:

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
do you like/want the car? if so, just simply buy it and start enjoying your car. the price
should never be the absolute criteria...unless, like some people, who can't afford a new
car. if you can afford it...start smiling and enjoy life.

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
And there is much more car than the old foxes. Brakes were a joke on the 5.0's, small front discs and drums on the rear. Radio's were the first things to be yanked. Airbags, ABS, ESP, etc... all add to additional costs. I guess the owners of 64-66's would laugh at you as they only paid $2500-3500 for their cars new. It's all relative.
I said the same basic thing you did in the post above the one I'm quoting... The point I was making is that there aren't that many changes to the standard appointments since then. The drive train is where most changes are, and that does drive up cost more than options.

Users who are viewing this thread