2020 Supra Revealed

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I personally like this car. Times have changed, Japanese companies are not following the american sports car philosophy. They are not caught up in the horsepower games, they don't care about having the most power.

The new Supra is not a Japanese car. It's a German car, made in Austria, designed in Germany around German design priciples. This is a 90's GM redabge. You know, like how thr Trans Am and Camaro are two totally different cars.

Toyota has clearly lost its way.

This new supra to me looks good, has a proven engine and a good trans. It's not designed to be a quarter mile dragster.. .
Fair, but if it's not a dragster, why is it Automatic only?

it's designed to be a great Grand Tourer. You can bet it will be refined, have a great powerband and be comfortable for a long day of driving in traffic or a day through the twisties on your favorite mountain pass..

This car is not a Grand Touring Car. It lacks. The rear seats and large truck. It's small and cramped and based on a Z4 which is a Roadster / Sports Car.

How can I go canyon carving and enjoy the feeling of being connected to the road with a 8spd automatic? Connected sporting cars that trade power for fun have manuals - see GT350, Miata, GT86, etc

There is no need for this car to have tons of power since it was built to have good balance. I think this car will sell very well, and there will be an aftermarket. .

It will have a huge aftermarket. Tuners are desperate as I've mentioned. Im unsure what Toyota will define as "sells well".

I was into the Japanese real wheel drive 90's sports cars for a long time. The previous supra with the 2JZ was not all that everyone cracked it up to be. It was heavy, could not handle for shit, and even with big power struggled to get down the 1/4 mile. It was just the Fast and Furious movie that put that car on the map, so many of the 2jz supras were simply dyno queens.

Obvious you where not a fan of Japanese cars in the 90's.

If you had been, you'd recall the Supra waxed the floor with all the completion and cars costing 3x as much. Power, braking, handling, the car was a gem and clearly a "Supra Sports Car".

The reason the Supra appeared in FNF in the first place was because it had already been cemented as a tuning Legend. Only thr GTR rivals it, and the US never got Godzilla. Build quality, reliability, durability, style, performance... It's all there.

51QARpjLiiL._SX258_BO1%2C204%2C203%2C200_.jpeg
6-cd3-93.jpeg
MotorTrend-Mar-93-4.jpeg

13 second 1/4, 70-0 braking in 160ft with no fade, nearly a G on the skid pad!??? And 23mpg!! Shit wsd unreal in 1993.

"Light, nimble, responsive and chock full of Dan Gurney's influence"

As for 1000whp Dyno Queens.

Considering the ET Street Radial didn't come out until 2004 and, what the first DOT Drag Radial was 1995? You didn't have shit for tire selection back then and no one was about to cut and tub their brand new $50k Super Car to fit drag radials.

Fastest Supra is 6.05 @ 240mph

Fastest street legal, street driven Supra is in thr 7's with 1800whp.

toyota-supra-1800hp.jpeg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
First I've heard of that and I don't see the resemblence at all.

Now the Ferrari F550 looks like a Supra... But thr Supra was out 4 years before that as well.

View attachment 1546529View attachment 1546530View attachment 1546531

It looks like an F40 that melted in the dishwasher. Were you around when it came out? The rip off f40 wing was a hot topic. Can you name another car with an F40 wing from that era? It was the signature styling cue of the F40 so it was especially blatant that Supra chose to slap one on the back of the MkIV. Not to mention the headlights and rear fascia.

Here is from an archive Car & Driver article from the era:

“Which is apt, actually, because the 1993 Supra Turbo definitely cooks, and it steals more than a few F40 styling cues—the shape of its grille, its trapezoidal head¬lamp lenses, and its colossal brake scoops. Not to mention the plagiarized rear wing, which appears to have been unfastened from something manufactured by Aerospatiale but is, praise the Pharaohs, only an option. (As Joseph Campbell once said, "Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.")”

Toyota Supra Turbo – Instrumented Test – Car and Driver

Kevinbonds

Established Member
I can dig up an article about the 300ZX, showing it as the preeminent sports car of the 90's including besting corvette, porsche and ferarri. The 90's japanese sports car wars were awesome, but the new supra would destroy the old Supra, so my point was despite the new one not having the legacy of the old one and a 2JZ, it's an all around better car.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It looks like an F40 that melted in the dishwasher. Were you around when it came out? The rip off f40 wing was a hot topic. Can you name another car with an F40 wing from that era? It was the signature styling cue of the F40 so it was especially blatant that Supra chose to slap one on the back of the MkIV. Not to mention the headlights and rear fascia.

Here is from an archive Car & Driver article from the era:

“Which is apt, actually, because the 1993 Supra Turbo definitely cooks, and it steals more than a few F40 styling cues—the shape of its grille, its trapezoidal head¬lamp lenses, and its colossal brake scoops. Not to mention the plagiarized rear wing, which appears to have been unfastened from something manufactured by Aerospatiale but is, praise the Pharaohs, only an option. (As Joseph Campbell once said, "Not one shred of evidence exists that life is serious.")”

Toyota Supra Turbo – Instrumented Test – Car and Driver
And clearly thr F40 is a blaytent ripp off of thr Daytona Super Bird.

Same pointed front, pop-up headlights, trapazoid rear quarter windows, huge wing and racing inspired interior.....

orig.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I can dig up an article about the 300ZX, showing it as the preeminent sports car of the 90's including besting corvette, porsche and ferarri. The 90's japanese sports car wars were awesome, but the new supra would destroy the old Supra, so my point was despite the new one not having the legacy of the old one and a 2JZ, it's an all around better car.
30 year old cars not as fast as new ones... This and more on Capitan Obvious at 11pm!

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Blkblk13car

Established Member
109 1/4 mi trap speed in 1993 was very very fast.

The 2jz Supra will always be legendary and for damn good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I just don’t get that special feeling on the 2020 knowing it’s a bmw motor. I’m coming out of a M235 right now into a 13’ shelby and I LOVE that inline 6 but it’s not a 1000hp ready platform. The old one was just over engineered in the best ways possible.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The new Supra is not a Japanese car. It's a German car, made in Austria, designed in Germany around German design priciples. This is a 90's GM redabge. You know, like how thr Trans Am and Camaro are two totally different cars.

Toyota has clearly lost its way.

Fair, but if it's not a dragster, why is it Automatic only?

This car is not a Grand Touring Car. It lacks. The rear seats and large truck. It's small and cramped and based on a Z4 which is a Roadster / Sports Car.

How can I go canyon carving and enjoy the feeling of being connected to the road with a 8spd automatic? Connected sporting cars that trade power for fun have manuals - see GT350, Miata, GT86, etc

It will have a huge aftermarket. Tuners are desperate as I've mentioned. Im unsure what Toyota will define as "sells well".

Obvious you where not a fan of Japanese cars in the 90's.

If you had been, you'd recall the Supra waxed the floor with all the completion and cars costing 3x as much. Power, braking, handling, the car was a gem and clearly a "Supra Sports Car".

The reason the Supra appeared in FNF in the first place was because it had already been cemented as a tuning Legend. Only thr GTR rivals it, and the US never got Godzilla. Build quality, reliability, durability, style, performance... It's all there.

View attachment 1546546View attachment 1546547View attachment 1546548

13 second 1/4, 70-0 braking in 160ft with no fade, nearly a G on the skid pad!??? And 23mpg!! Shit wsd unreal in 1993.

"Light, nimble, responsive and chock full of Dan Gurney's influence"

As for 1000whp Dyno Queens.

Considering the ET Street Radial didn't come out until 2004 and, what the first DOT Drag Radial was 1995? You didn't have shit for tire selection back then and no one was about to cut and tub their brand new $50k Super Car to fit drag radials.

Fastest Supra is 6.05 @ 240mph

Fastest street legal, street driven Supra is in thr 7's with 1800whp.

View attachment 1546567

They have gone faster than that. The Ekanoo Supra broke into the 5s iirc.

None of these cars look anything like eachother.

F40-supra????? Wuuut?

Seriously! The F40 was squared off and the Supra is very round. I see no similarities whatsoever. Just because it has a highrise spoiler like the F40 means it ripped it off? Ok lol. The TRD spoiler may share the height but other than that the shape is completely different; same goes for the headlights. Oh wow, they both have front mounted lamps! Lol

BYEPOLR

Established Member
with today's landscape if it's not capable of 4 digit numbers with relative ease I'm not interested.

also, it's ugly.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Iirc the 90s supras were also incredibly aerodynamic, drag coefficients better than supercars of that era

I prefer that bottom rendering to the actual car. New one is ugly besides being a BMW

...and Maximus said to Commodus, "the time for honoring yourself will soon come to an end."

Users who are viewing this thread