2018 Expedition

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Although not announced the pictures suggest hands off trailer backup assist, hands off parking assist and an E-locker. 300 lbs lighter with +20hp/50tq. Strides in the right direction....

Backup assist was confirmed by the spokesman at the event. May not be on Ford's website but the expedition will have it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Last edited:

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
SUVs in this segment have become very expensive.

If you want a moderately equipped 4x4 Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition, you're looking at an MSRP of damn near $60K.

Breitling

Established Member
Just purchased the wife a 16 Limited 4x4 with darn near all options. Great vehicle thus far. Love the 3.5TT. Sounds like the 2018 will be even better. Nice!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Those complaining about the EcoBoost and no V8 option really need to drive 5.0 and 3.5EB F-150s back-to-back. The EB is a superior performer everywhere. Even the 2.7EB shames most truck V8s.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
yup...I expect the new expedition will probably start at 50K for just the base.
They said in the article they expect it to be similar to current pricing.

The aluminum F150 was about $400 more base price, it's just the 40 new available extras that get pricey.

kaz109

Established Member
SUVs in this segment have become very expensive.

If you want a moderately equipped 4x4 Yukon/Tahoe/Expedition, you're looking at an MSRP of damn near $60K.

Tell me about it, my wife's Denali had a msrp of 76k and her GL550 before that was 94k ..but if you take into consideration that the average price of a car is now 34k (iirc) then it seems to make sense why the larger SUV's are so much money.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
They said in the article they expect it to be similar to current pricing.

The aluminum F150 was about $400 more base price, it's just the 40 new available extras that get pricey.

It's the options that gets you. I can go out and buy a base F-150 for less than $20k.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Those complaining about the EcoBoost and no V8 option really need to drive 5.0 and 3.5EB F-150s back-to-back. The EB is a superior performer everywhere. Even the 2.7EB shames most truck V8s.

Any rumors of the 3.0 diesel ending up in the expedition? I feel like that would be an inexpensive powertrain option for Ford to add as they could use the exact same components out of the F-150, essentially.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Any rumors of the 3.0 diesel ending up in the expedition? I feel like that would be an inexpensive powertrain option for Ford to add as they could use the exact same components out of the F-150, essentially.

It'll all depend on how it does in the F-150 and how things go with the EPA. Oil prices will also play a large factor. I don't see small diesels being super popular with sub-$2/gallon gas available.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It'll all depend on how it does in the F-150 and how things go with the EPA. Oil prices will also play a large factor. I don't see small diesels being super popular with sub-$2/gallon gas available.

I wish I had sub $2 gas available. lol. Diesel is reasonably close to gas out here, typically. Sometimes its even cheaper than gas. But I could see how if it was a large difference elsewhere it wouldn't make any sense unless it provided a huge advantage while towing, and you towed a lot.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I drive a lot of F150s with both options. 9 times out of 10 the EB is the better performer, but I have been in a few 5.0s that feel like they have had a tune thrown in them. The last one I drove really surprised me how fast it was but it was also only a 2wd truck when most of the others are 4wd optioned.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Sound = Subjective
Simplicity - For the 2018 model year the only substantial difference will be turbos (which I don't consider complicated).
Fuel Economy - EB gets better fuel economy than the 5.0
Fuel Economy Towing - EB gets better fuel economy than the 5.0

Where the EB falls short in fuel economy to the 5.0 is when you use the superior power of the EB. Can't get around thermodynamics, it takes fuel to make power.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Did you read the articles? Each articles' real world tests conducted disagrees with your opinion.

There is not a soul on earth who would argue that the 3.5 sounds better than the 5.0. It sounds terrible. At best you'll find someone so disinterested that they won't care.

The two equivalent trucks are trapping the same speed in the 1/4. 5.0 vs 3.5 power is marginal at best. I've spent enough time in one to say I believe the the 3.5 is interesting and different, nothing more.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Did you read the articles? Each articles' real world tests conducted disagrees with your opinion.

There is not a soul on earth who would argue that the 3.5 sounds better than the 5.0. It sounds terrible. At best you'll find someone so disinterested that they won't care.

The two equivalent trucks are trapping the same speed in the 1/4. 5.0 vs 3.5 power is marginal at best. I've spent enough time in one to say I believe the the 3.5 is interesting and different, nothing more.

In regards to sound, Sid is correct that it's subjective. There are people out there that LOVE the sound of a V6 and would prefer it over a V8. It doesn't make them any less of a car person, it's just their personal taste.

As far as MPG, it comes down to how you drive. I drive my MKS harder than I do my wife's Milan because I love the instant low-end torque the 3.5TT provides (mine is also tuned by LMS).

Users who are viewing this thread