2015 reviews are out

rrg9946

Established Member
I totally understand your point but it is not unreasonable to take an experts opinion into account. Would you take batting lessons from the local instructor or from Cal Ripken?

Its not based of some "famous" guy. And no one said it's in the league of the "fastest" cars. It really isn't that difficult to understand.
Because cars are subjective and drivers are like snowflakes. No one is gonna rank the fastest cars because famous guy X said one feels faster. The numbers will tell us.

svt 500

Established Member
My 09GT500 hopped like a mf'er doing a burnout. I had to replace upper and lowers to alleviate, not completely fix. My 04 cobra didn't seem to suffer from it, I know rare. My fear with IRS is breaking halfshafts.

I changed everything I could when I had my 04 Cobra. Breaking halfshafts was always my fear. It would do one of two things... spin or hop like a rabbit dodging a 12 ga. blast.

TommyJ

Established Member
I'm a mustang guy at heart, but I lost some interest in the 15 when the hp and weight numbers came out. I do think the 15 will be a big improvement as a daily driver, but the 2011 base gt I test drove didn't seem too bad. Trying to decide if I want to buy a 14 base gt or lease a 15 challenger scat pack...

old_goat

Established Member
But it's a sports car - the whole purpose is to make it a better car with each iteration. Ford is going to price themselves out of the market.

Makes you wonder - do I spend 45k on the mustang or do I spend 53 on a C7 and beat the mustang?

I took a test drive in a 2015 C7 Corvette couple with automatic and it's a wonderful car. As a past owner of a 2009 C6 coupe I can freely say this C7 is far better. This may be my next car. (No kids or grandkids, just me and the ole lady. Two seats are just fine)

You could also make the argument of a buying a base GT and spending the difference in mods and beat the C7.

With that said. I don't think the Mustang/Corvette are competitors, I think that's the Camaro's job. Could be wrong though.

Yes, you can buy a base Mustang GT and I can beat any bone stock C5-C6 Corvette coupe with the $2,500 I put in the car with my current mods. I don't think I can play with a new C7 unless I get him at the light.

I also agree it shouldn't be the Corvette vs. the Mustang GT, but I would say the Corvette vs. the Shelby GT 500 would be a better comparison.

My expectations were obviously too high but for a different reason than Fords statements. The bowtie crew have been on a tear lately. If you look at their last series of performance cars they are not playing around. Chevy bench marks against Chevy and not a 911 or M3. That means their level down will be shooting to come close to their current top dog. The 2015 Mustang GT PP will have trouble besting a 1LE because at this point we are only hoping it best a boss. What will the next SS be benchmarked against and what will the next 1LE be benchmarked against. We dont know what the Camaro will bring but with that logic the SS should easily trump the GT PP if they beat the 1LE.

The bowtie crew have all of the right tools to make this ugly (LT1/mag shocks/alpha chassis). Its up to GM to screw this up with the lack luster stats we have at this point. Ford should have been focusing on Chevy and not a version of Mustang that would never top a 911 and a M3 that didnt exist.

I've always hated GM and Camaro in particular. How can I drop down my hard earned money on a GT if the stats and performance are lackluster? If the Camaro goes for blood and fixes its MANY issues then Ford either has to go make serious changes (screw the 2015/2016 owners) or lose this generations war. In the end we will wait until Randy Pobst hits Willow Springs or the LS times are out to get the real story.

Yes, the bowtie crew has it going on, however let's not forget Dodge and the Challenger/Charger Hellcat for around $60,000 when all the 'market adjustment' pricing has played out.

I have nothing for the Camaro SS. Corvette and SS are both great cars, but I don't have much respect for the Camaro SS. I'm not a hater, but it's just a personal preference. I basically had a SS when I had my Pontiac G8 GXP. We came real close to buying a 2014 SS, however it looked like any Impala/Malibu. We chose the 2014 Charger Super Bee for multiple reasons. Ford didn't have an car that interested us, which was a 4 door performance car.

By the way, I'm still awaiting test results to show me where the Mustang GT's extra 15 horsepower went to, unless it was nullified by the extra weight of the 2015. Also, I'm not seeing much love for the Mustang V-6 in this thread. Actually that's one hell of a car.

It may seem I'm not a fan of the 2015, but that's not right. I'm just cautiously optimistic. I can say that I saw the 2015 deep impact blue Mustang GT at the Houston car show and didn't feel as excited as I thought I would feel. So, I'm in a wait and see mode.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
This question goes out to every member that is on this thread. How many of you realistically will not modify this car?

If I had one, I would absolutely modify it. I wouldn't go nuts, but do the same things I've always done...gear, exhaust, intake, weight reduction, etc (ie...'bolt-ons').

How many of you have not modified your previous Mustangs?

Never had one that I didn't modify. My 88 Coupe was 'bolt-ons' only for many years, but I went a bit nuts after a while. My 99 Cobra had a live-axle swap before I had owned it a month. It stayed bolt-on for 3 years, till I got serious with F/S racing. My 04 Cobra stayed stock for a bit longer....perhaps 4-5 months, before it got a live axle, some weight reduction, and a KB. Modifying is absolutely part of the game, for me.

For those of you who intend to or have in the past, do you really think that this is not one of the best if not the best platform to work from?

Right now....right this second...if I had to buy a 2015, it would be a Mustang. If it had to just be 'new', I'd get a left-over 14 (should have KILLER deals on them in a few months). I really, really hate to say this, but when the new alpha-based Camaro comes out......it may be tempting - IF the persistent rumors of significant (and I do mean significant) weight reduction turn out to be true. I'm not holding my breath....at all. And I'd still have to come to grips with buying another rattle trap (ie.....another Chevy). Love the 'low tech' LS engines though. By far, that is the best part of any GM performance car, IMHO.

Last edited:

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Car and Driver updated their review with more performance info. Look at the MPH in the 1/4!!

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.4 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 17.8 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 4.9 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.6 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 9.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 113 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 164 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 149 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.95 g

BMR Tech

Love the 'low tech' LS engines though. By far, that is the best part of any GM performance car, IMHO.

You got that right!

"Low Tech"....cubes....and good overall engineering - great engines, especially for the gearhead.

Imagine what kinda power you could get from the LS engine, doing a F/S style build with any of the available LS engine components. Doh!

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
I keep getting roped into their marketing LOL.

Ecoboost manual
light weight wheels
single 3" exhaust with no muffler
aluminum driveshaft
carbon fiber hood
Light weight battery

basically replace heavy parts with lighter parts then hit it with a tune then start upgrading the turbo.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member
"The old Boss 302 was indeed known for being faster than its contemporary BMW M3, but that got me thinking about how this new Performance Package GT stacks up. Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak told me that, yes, this new car is faster than the Boss. Indeed, it's 1.5 seconds around Michigan's Grattan Raceway - a circuit where I've won some races - and I can tell you that's a real accomplishment."

Last edited:

Branhammer

Established Member
My issue with the Camaro is that it doesn't have the heritage imo. The Mustang has always spoken to me..."I pioneered an entirely new category of fun cars for the working class." The Camaro says to me..."I watched what that other car did for a year or so and then copied it with a different engine and a bowtie."

rrg9946

Established Member

Voltwings

Established Member
The fact that he actively refuses to believe Ford tested the new car against its outgoing model is what really shocks me lol

bexamous

Established Member
So I'm a bit unimpressed. I just can't get over the weight. For a new platform such a small step forward is disappointing. My hopes are now on being able to get a Camaro on alpha platform, maybe slightly detuned LT1, with optional mag shocks. I'd spend up to 40k for that. Otherwise I'll stick with my 11 GT for another year or two and then wait for 0% financing on a C7... or go for cheap fun with Fiesta ST. I just don't see trading in a 11 GT for a 15 GT. :((

Users who are viewing this thread