2015 reviews are out

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes they are, and I know it's largely for good reason (IRS, stiffer body, etc.).

I recall when my new 85 GT was 3,180 lbs. On the other hand, it had exactly 1/2 the hp as well. lol

Lol, an 85 GT is essentially a tin can. I don't miss the days of sub-frames being an essential early mod.

Branhammer

Established Member
Lol, an 85 GT is essentially a tin can. I don't miss the days of sub-frames being an essential early mod.

^This. Sometimes I forget to mention my SFC's when I list off my mods because the damn things shouldn't even have been necessary.

Branhammer

Established Member
For sure! I am looking forward to getting my VIN for my fully loaded Ingot Silver GT Fastback PP :)

As much as I want the PP, mine will probably be a DD...in Utah. We get rough winters sometimes and I'm worried that the base setup might be better for me than the PP. Makes me sad though :(

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member

Yes, but ...

I've owned 9 Stangs in my life (used 69 S Code Mach 1 and brand new 82 GT, 83 GT, 85 GT, 93 LX 5.0, 95 Cobra, 11 V6, 12 GT, 13GT) and I have to say the 85 was just as fun a car to drive as any. If I had extra $$ to throw around, I'd have a 85 GT sitting next to my 13 GT. No doubt about it ...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
It depends on where the weight is at. Sounds like they have it better distributed than before and lower, which would actually be advantageous.

Looking at weight alone is like looking strictly at peak HP numbers.

And what are we talking about again, 100lbs over the '14s when comparing GT to GT?

Yes, about 100 lbs (or slightly less (than the 2014). However, it was already porky IMO, so it keeps adding up. Everybody probably has a point at which weight becomes an issue. Maybe its 3500 lbs, maybe its 3800 lbs, maybe its 4000, or 4500 who knows. Mine has been reached. Again, to each their own.

As for distribution....I believe it is better, which is a good thing - especially for the corner-carvers. I'm a knuckle-dragging drag racer, so not nearly as big of a deal for me - I'd rather lose it than add and move around.

svt1111

Established Member
Sub frame connectors don't bother me at all I it means I am starting off with a 3,000 lb platform in which to house a 500+ rwhp engine package.

I guess for guys like me, who won't daily drive a brand new Mustang, it isn't a great choice for us who will only use it on weekends and at the track. Too heavy. And too refined too, which makes it an improvement naturally, but also takes some of the character away from the car. I test drove a new M4 and while it was a quick, nice car, it was simply too smooth and isolated you from the sensation of speed. The last 3 S197's I had also isolated you way too much from the feeling of performance, although they all performed at extremely high levels. This S550 more closely mimics a higher end sports coupe, which is a step up in class for Mustang, but just the wrong direction for what I had hoped for which is a 33-3,400 lb package with 475 HP.

Troponin

Established Member
They are the second company advertising good gains from doing a cat-back exhaust. It seems the new exhaust on the GT is really restrictive.

or, like any other business, they are playing with numbers just to get sales.

As I mentioned earlier, we will see once these hit the tracks. I dont doubt they will have slightly better performance numbers because of a better suspension and possibly better balancing, but I still don't see anything significant happening. I got my 2014 Premium GT with track pack for $29k ($31k OTD), and I just cant imagine spending $45k to get a car that is only slightly better.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
Sub frame connectors don't bother me at all I it means I am starting off with a 3,000 lb platform in which to house a 500+ rwhp engine package.

Haha, agreed!

This S550 more closely mimics a higher end sports coupe, which is a step up in class for Mustang, but just the wrong direction for what I had hoped for which is a 33-3,400 lb package with 475 HP.

That's exactly the direction I thought Ford was going as well.

I got my 2014 Premium GT with track pack for $29k ($31k OTD), and I just cant imagine spending $45k to get a car that is only slightly better.

My 13 GT stickered for 35k, got it for 32K OTD with rebates. I don't see myself trading it in either ...

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't think I'll be trading in the Boss anytime soon. I would like a raw, evil, white knuckle beast for the new Mustang, but that would only sell like 2,000 units and would doom the Mustang line. The wife would like a GT premium package with every wiz-bang option. She still doesn't understand why I paid more for fewer creature comforts. Might sneak a EB into the garage when she's not looking.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
or, like any other business, they are playing with numbers just to get sales.

As I mentioned earlier, we will see once these hit the tracks. I dont doubt they will have slightly better performance numbers because of a better suspension and possibly better balancing, but I still don't see anything significant happening. I got my 2014 Premium GT with track pack for $29k ($31k OTD), and I just cant imagine spending $45k to get a car that is only slightly better.

45k is fully loaded or close to that. My '15 GT is loaded and is 46k k but with x-plan it is 42,900. I think a '15GT premium with PP would be 38k and x-plan would knock it down to 36k. Apples to apples.

darreng505

Established Member
I totally understand your point but it is not unreasonable to take an experts opinion into account. Would you take batting lessons from the local instructor or from Cal Ripken?

Its not based of some "famous" guy. And no one said it's in the league of the "fastest" cars. It really isn't that difficult to understand.

Yeah it was. The review in the article by the "famous guy" only said it "felt" faster than a boss. Which maybe it is. It better be. But for me, I need the numbers. Feeling faster isn't admissable.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
Yes, it seems people are quoting the price of fully loaded GT's as if that was the base price. As I stated in an earlier post, a new 15 GT equipped the same as my 13 GT would cost $1,800 more. Normally, that would be considered a big jump. But considering engineering changes such as IRS and the like ... I think entirely justified.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yeah it was. The review in the article by the "famous guy" only said it "felt" faster than a boss. Which maybe it is. It better be. But for me, I need the numbers. Feeling faster isn't admissable.

I actually expect the 2015 to "feel" slower than a Boss, but to actually be faster around some tracks. The more refined you make a car the slower it often feels.

Troponin

Established Member
45k is fully loaded or close to that. My '15 GT is loaded and is 46k k but with x-plan it is 42,900. I think a '15GT premium with PP would be 38k and x-plan would knock it down to 36k. Apples to apples.

Mine was just shy of fully loaded. The 2014s were being amazingly discounted. The sticker price on mine was $41k. So, it is apples to apples. You're never going to see those discounts on a 2015. I realize there is a lot of improvements with suspension etc, but my point is, the cost of the discounted 2014s is a hell of a deal and a 2015 is just pushed way out of my budget for a project car and cannot justify the difference in cost.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I think I'm gonna talk to our parts dealer about taking my Tremor back and getting a deal on a new GT. I love the truck but I'm really liking the new Mustangs.

svt1111

Established Member
slow is smooth, smooth is fast ...

Actually, slow really is slow and smooth is just boring. Lol.

Take a ride in an Ariel Atom and tell me it's not fast because it's so raucous!

I'm just teasing- no harm no foul. The S550 is a nice looking car, just too refined for an exclusively to-be-used-only as a toy-car, if that makes sense. Guys who use it as their only car won't be disappointed from what I can tell.

13 RaceRed 5.0

Established Member
Haven't seen one in person yet, but for me, the 15's front end is still not doing it for me.

Just for comparo:

• 85 had medium eyes, small mouth
  • 05 had big eyes, big mouth
  • 13 had smaller eyes, big mouth
  • 15 has slit eyes, huge mouth

Attachments

• ee.jpg
    ee.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 181

Users who are viewing this thread