2014 Coyote Rods

Krace

Established Member
I was told that the later 2014 5.0 GT, had the same rods as the Boss motor. Is there any truth to this? I have been looking for anything on this and I can't find any info on a tear down on a Coyote 2014 motor.

Krace

Established Member
I was told if you have the dg397ab stamp under the plug cover (driver side) it comes with forged rods just like the boss... But I can not find any facts to this. I do plan on getting a new 2014 in a few months, I may pop the oil pan off and take a look.

NickSezz

Established Member
The rods have always been "forged." Powdered metal forged that is. Yep, that's right, there are different kinds of forging processes. Both the GT and Boss rods are sinter-forged rods (forged from powder metal) and not die forged connecting rods (forged from solid steel and has a stronger crystalline structure) like we all wish.

When under stress, the powder rod will fracture before it bends making it more prone to failure than a die forged rod that has some give or flex before it bends or brakes to a point of engine failure.

The Boss rods are just a bit beefier and are paired with actual die forged pistons. That is the reason why the Boss motors are able to handle a bit more abuse than the regular Coyote.

Go to 5:00

Ford 5.0L Coyote Connecting Rod - YouTube

Last edited:

Krace

Established Member

BMR Tech

Same as GT and F150.

I was about to leave work and go buy a 2014.

Looks like a 2015 will be my next new car, dern.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
the rods have always been "forged." powdered metal forged that is. Yep, that's right, there are different kinds of forging processes. Both the gt and boss rods are sinter-forged rods (forged from powder metal) and not die forged connecting rods (forged from solid steel and has a stronger crystalline structure) like we all wish.

When under stress, the powder rod will fracture before it bends making it more prone to failure than a die forged rod that has some give or flex before it bends or brakes to a point of failure.

Go to 5:00

ford 5.0l coyote connecting rod - youtube

"hello!!!! And welcome to movie phone!!!"

mystickb1996

Established Member
wow this would be sweet that's for sure, only thing is i remember my 02 lightning ford call those connecting rods "forged" which they were far from. Someone needs to drop there oil pan! also has anyone noticed any blown 2014's yet? they have been out for awhile now, mines an earlier build

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
From what I remember the Boss rods look identical to standard GT, it's just a better material. So putting eyes on one or the other won't tell you much.

BMR Tech

wow this would be sweet that's for sure, only thing is i remember my 02 lightning ford call those connecting rods "forged" which they were far from. Someone needs to drop there oil pan! also has anyone noticed any blown 2014's yet? they have been out for awhile now, mines an earlier build

I guess you didn't read my posts. ;-)

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Back in November 2012 I ordered a set of Boss rods from Steve when he was at Tousley Ford and I'm pretty sure they were the only rods available because he only listed one part number. They were on back order then, took me 3 months to get them. Sooooo I wouldn't be surprised if the 13 and 14's had them. Not saying they do bit it's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread