20" vs 17"

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
20s look good to me.... go for it

7466321_2.jpg

7466321_1.jpg

I never would a thunk it... but those look pretty good on that New Edge. About the best look IMHO is 18" 5-point star wheels (03' Cobra, 2000 Cobra R's or Saleens) on the New Edge. I think those 20's look OK because they have a lot of open space between the "spokes". Older cars look real weird when you get the massive wagon-wheel effect or just too much wheel. Your call.

Oh yeah...how much $$$ do you want to spend on tires for your wheels? 17's = $$ 18's =$$$ 19's = $$$$...my guess is 20's = $$$$$$.

Last edited:

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the weight of a 20" wheel vs the typical 18". Remember more rotational mass equals less power delivered to the ground and more distance required to stop. Which leads to a safety factor while driving in traffic, but it's your ass on the line. Also, 20" on a 99-04 stang :xpl:

GoingHaam

Established Member
I agree that the right set up with any size wheels will be awesome. I just hate paying $25+ to get in at a car show and in one line you 25-30 new edge mustangs that look pretty much the same. You have the staggered bullits, blacked out windows, and the interior is most always painted to match the exterior. I have only been to one all ford car show and seen one mustang that made me stop and look twice.

Thats my issue... if want to stand out in the world of mustangs you will need to step out of the traditionally wheel like the cobra, bullits, saleens, etc... no matter the size

I never would a thunk it... but those look pretty good on that New Edge. About the best look IMHO is 18" 5-point star wheels (03' Cobra, 2000 Cobra R's or Saleens) on the New Edge. I think those 20's look OK because they have a lot of open space between the "spokes".
like any rims and any car there are exception, and i agree there are usually more ugly ones than good ones... that is one of the best on 20s ive seen.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the weight of a 20" wheel vs the typical 18". Remember more rotational mass equals less power delivered to the ground and more distance required to stop. Which leads to a safety factor while driving in traffic, but it's your ass on the line. Also, 20" on a 99-04 stang :xpl:

gears usually will makes sure u never feel the difference and wheel size as far as power concerned. and a break upgrade will help stopping... mustangs are sports cars, even with out an upgrade the car will stop better than the average car on the road.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
Now you're just being ridiculous. Gears might be a band aid for your ass meter but power is still hurt. Yes a brake upgrade will fix the stopping issue. But the mustang being a sports car so it will still stop better, LOL.

BTW a big brake kit is around 1.5K and up. I paid 1.4K for mine and that was on sale, normal price is 2.3K. This is going to be very expensive for just a set of wheels......

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
You could also get 1 off 17s or18s made for less than 20s + tires + brakes, etc....
And be different than everyone else.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I think I mentioned this story before but this may be a good place and it's been a while. I was getting the oil changed in the Burb about 10 yr ago at tire shop (good special on the oil change). A guy waiting in the room was called up. He said that he needed to find a leak in the tire on his car. Can't remember what kind of car, but it had 20" wheels. After a short period the guy was called out to one of the bays. When he got back, he looked like he saw a ghost. After he left I asked what happened. It turns out that his leak wasn't from his tire -- he cracked a rim. The tire guy said he makes a lot more money selling 20"+ rims since they are very sensitive to tire pressure. The forces on the rim if the electrical tape tires aren't the right pressure are huge. One bad bump and he sells another rim or two.

If a larger than life rim is your thing, that's your thing. Just make sure you check your tire pressure really often.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The 20's might be able to look decent with the right rim, but the car is going to ride like crap IMO. My buddy has 19's on his GT with full Maximum front suspension and H&R springs in the rear. Damn thing will take out your kidneys if it's a long trip. Guess I'm getting old since I like a little comfort on my long trips.

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
20" rims look great on a mustang if its a v6 auto with a autozone hood scoop suds that take up the whole trunk maybe one of those fart can exhaust for hondas. Then get yourself some skinny jeans a way to tight polo pop the collar of coarse some big white sunglasses and a backwards visor. Then go join a fraternity Bro

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I think I mentioned this story before but this may be a good place and it's been a while. I was getting the oil changed in the Burb about 10 yr ago at tire shop (good special on the oil change). A guy waiting in the room was called up. He said that he needed to find a leak in the tire on his car. Can't remember what kind of car, but it had 20" wheels. After a short period the guy was called out to one of the bays. When he got back, he looked like he saw a ghost. After he left I asked what happened. It turns out that his leak wasn't from his tire -- he cracked a rim. The tire guy said he makes a lot more money selling 20"+ rims since they are very sensitive to tire pressure. The forces on the rim if the electrical tape tires aren't the right pressure are huge. One bad bump and he sells another rim or two.

If a larger than life rim is your thing, that's your thing. Just make sure you check your tire pressure really often.
That's what happens when you run a tire with the sidewall width of a fingernail!:nonono:

clbailey

Established Member
The first and second pics are decent... but I would never sacrifice performance for a simple aesthetic change as 2 inches on the rim. The last car is horrid and I'm sure we all know who drives it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

MIAdragon

Have you seen my stapler?
Established Member
The first and second pics are decent... but I would never sacrifice performance for a simple aesthetic change as 2 inches on the rim. The last car is horrid and I'm sure we all know who drives it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Why would a 2" change to the wheel sacrifice performance, seems like a rather gratuitous assumption.

TO the OP, many people find it hard to venture outside the "norm". It MUCH easier being a member of the herd and be told what does and does not look good. IMO the new edge wheel well is setup for a 19" or 20" wheel. Its YOUR car roll on what ever you wish.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
2" makes a huge difference on acceleration, braking, cornering and just general wear and tear.
It is not a "rather gratuitous assumption", it is a fact.

It kills performance.

it would be 3" for me as 17s perform best.

pbeechner

Established Member
OVERALL 275/45/17 = 26.74" , 285/30/20 =26.73".... That arugment has no leg to stand on

With the larger rotational mass of the much heavier wheels, the performance is compromised. This has nothing to do with the actual diameter of the wheel/tire combo. This argument has several legs to stand on.

Also, the extra unprung mass will negatively affect handling.

Last edited:

germeezy1

Established Member
With the larger rotational mass of the much heavier wheels, the performance is compromised. This has nothing to do with the actual diameter of the wheel/tire combo. This argument has several legs to stand on.

Also, the extra unprung mass will negatively affect handling.

Do you have any idea how much a 17 or 18 inch 03/04 Cobra Chrome replica wheel weighs in relation to a spun forged or forged 20 inch wheel? Do you honestly think that factory style wheels are always going to be lighter than higher quality aftermarket wheels?

clbailey

Established Member
Do you have any idea how much a 17 or 18 inch 03/04 Cobra Chrome replica wheel weighs in relation to a spun forged or forged 20 inch wheel? Do you honestly think that factory style wheels are always going to be lighter than higher quality aftermarket wheels?

He never said anything about factory style wheels, just 17 and 18 inch diameter.

20's can look good on some cars, but leave it for sema or the boring retired mans car show. Not a Cobra that should be driven hard.

Users who are viewing this thread