20" vs 17"

CobRoush-00

Established Member
Because it will turn into a pissing match and will not do anyone any good.
Next we will have name calling and infractions issued.

I'd rather just save the headache.

But if they still want to discuss it all they need to do is google,

Big rims and rotational mass.

Yes, even a lighter 20 will under perform a heavier 17 99% of the time.

The further you move the weight away from the center the worse it gets.

Totally agree. Besides all the technicality, driving on 20s is very uncomfortable. The ride is crap even with the softest suspension. Don't even think about driving in my state (roads are horrible) with them 20s.....LOL. At the end of the day, it's a matter of choice. If you like to be different and seek attention, go for it. As far as performance and driveability are concerned, stick with 17 and 18. Again, that's my opinion. Good luck.

germeezy1

Established Member
Did the OP say that he wanted better ride quality or better handling? Is it possible that the OP is like a lot of Mustang owners, and is actually afraid of the corners? What possibly would be detrimental to a Mustang owner who mainly does shows, and rarely drives the car except on nice days to buy the rims that he wants?

If he had of said hey guys I am building my car to auto-x , and I need some advice I would have the same thoughts as many of you.

zPipes

Established Member
The op is looking for attention, not ride quality nor handling. Its all about show for him.

zPipes

Established Member
I'm looking to buy new wheels for my 01 cobra. It has stock 17s now but i'm thinking about going with a 20". Does anyone have 20s on your car that can post a pic so I can see how it looks?

Thanks

Well, well! I sit and read all these post and find myself laughing. Opinions make the world go around that's a fact. If everybody and everything were the same then there would only be one of everything. Every person would be the same, every car, and I think y'all get the pic. My opinion is this, I think that 20" on some cars look like crap and should be replaced with something different. I happen to think that all the pics that were posted are top notch cars and would make a great show piece. However, I want something different, something not EVERYBODY has. I appreciate your post and opinions and I have enjoyed reading them. I guess it's like this, it doesn't matter what color our cars are, or how much bling we put on them, it's like putting a solid gold saddle on a billy goat, everybody and their brother will stop and look at it but they want give you crap for it.

^

catip1022

Established Member
All these post are awesome depending on what each person likes and needs their car to do. I am not into drag racing and burnouts as that can break stuff. Your right, i'm all about showing. I would rather go any day of the week and twice on sunday to an all ford car show than the drags. I like shiny, super clean cars. I'll leave the racing to y'all and keep my car in the shows.

germeezy1

Established Member
All these post are awesome depending on what each person likes and needs their car to do. I am not into drag racing and burnouts as that can break stuff. Your right, i'm all about showing. I would rather go any day of the week and twice on sunday to an all ford car show than the drags. I like shiny, super clean cars. I'll leave the racing to y'all and keep my car in the shows.

With that being said you should look at a non factory style wheel in 19 or 20 inch sizes.

258489.jpg

Or you could do a larger factory style wheel in larger sizes like this.

donk.jpg

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Every picture posted in this thread has made me vomit. OP do what you want, but I think regardless of rim style just the proportioning alone with a 20" rim on a 99-04 body style will get you more Nays than Yays..

oxfordsnake

Established Member
yea those last pics on the black cobra is the only time i've half way liked how 20's look on a new edge. Tho I still would not do that to a cobra I think the only reason that car pulls it off is becuase of the more boxy/more modern lines on the 03/04 cobra help them fit in a little better. any other new edge or 99/01 cobra I bet the look would be different. Any who, thats the best I've ever seen a set of 20's fit on a new edge. Still not my cup of tea. Good luck to the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread