20" vs 17"

pbeechner

Established Member
Do you have any idea how much a 17 or 18 inch 03/04 Cobra Chrome replica wheel weighs in relation to a spun forged or forged 20 inch wheel? Do you honestly think that factory style wheels are always going to be lighter than higher quality aftermarket wheels?

Yes I do. Usually between 20 and 30 pounds. Now do not insult me, I made no mention of 20 inch forged wheels versus factory wheels. There is a reason that people are always looking for lighter wheels. I was also comparing to the standard 20" wheel you see out there, that are more expensive than 17" wheels and therefore fewer people pay even the extra cost to get the high quality, lightweight forged wheels. I was commenting on the typical 20" wheels. It makes more financial and practical sense to pay the money for a lightweight forged 17" wheel that you would spend on on a normal 20" wheel. Please, read my post carefully next time you decide to refute my argument.

oxfordsnake

Established Member
To the OP, my personal opinion is that 18 inch wheels in GENERAL look best on the new edge mustang. I run 17's because thats what looks best to me on my car and what came in the wheel that I personally like on my car.. Like you said about opinions we all have different ones. But my honest opinion is that I have seen 20 inch wheels on a new edge in person several times at a car show, and to me it just didn't look quite right. But hey if they like it its their car so what. So i would just do plenty of research and really make sure you get the wheel you want because its not cheep. Especially getting 20'' wheels those will be quite a bit more expensive than 17 or 18. I would hate for you to spend a chunk of change on 20's and then realized they aren't for you. So my opinion is that they just don't look good. But get what looks good according to your taste.

03 Deep Dish Black Machined Face Nitto Staggered Wheel and Tire Package
I got these wheel on my car because they ARE different. I love them and go well with my white and black cobra. Some people tell me they don't like them because they are different. All that matters is that I love them and it is my car after all.

pbeechner

Established Member
url=http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=03DDBLK%2FMACHNITTOPKG]03 Deep Dish Black Machined Face Nitto Staggered Wheel and Tire Package[/url]
I got these wheel on my car because they ARE different. I love them and go well with my white and black cobra. Some people tell me they don't like them because they are different. All that matters is that I love them and it is my car after all.

DEF love those wheels :rockon:

germeezy1

Established Member
He never said anything about factory style wheels, just 17 and 18 inch diameter.

20's can look good on some cars, but leave it for sema or the boring retired mans car show. Not a Cobra that should be driven hard.

The OP has factory 17's, and is debating getting 20 inch aftermarket wheels.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
I had a good time reading this post!
I also like the bigger tire look but the biggest that should go on these cars is a 19'' in the back and 18'' in the front..... they just were not built for it.
my 18's just fit with 3mm left before they rub and i have 255's on the front

The pictures look good on the computer but when you see them in person its a different story. I had a 19 put on the back to see what it looked like and it looked okay.... but not much better than 18's especially for the price increase.

If you do end up going with 20's make sure they are as light a possible and read why the shelby guys go DOWN to 18's i have seen a post or two about that recently
and post pics if you end up going with it BECAUSE IT WILL BE DIFFERENT.
Good luck

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
OVERALL 275/45/17 = 26.74" , 285/30/20 =26.73".... That arugment has no leg to stand on

Three words: side wall flex. Your "argument" is similar to saying that a bias ply tire and a radial tire will be the same if they're the same diameter. Side wall flex plays a lot into the performance of a tire.

catip1022

Established Member
Wow! What a conversation. I have really gotten a kick out of these post. It's pretty cool to see how each person is different in their own way. I personally think that a 315 or 335 in the back with 275s or smaller in the front look funny but that's me. I like the same all the way around so I can get the most out of my tires by rotating them. I appreciate all the comments and opinions.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
OVERALL 275/45/17 = 26.74" , 285/30/20 =26.73".... That arugment has no leg to stand on

Do you have any idea how much a 17 or 18 inch 03/04 Cobra Chrome replica wheel weighs in relation to a spun forged or forged 20 inch wheel? Do you honestly think that factory style wheels are always going to be lighter than higher quality aftermarket wheels?

Now you guys are letting your opinion skew your thought process.

Quit getting upset that most don't like big wheels on these cars.

Why the hell do people not run light weight 20s on the road course or drag strip?

Rotational mass, traction, etc.......
Why do the really fast cars run 15" wheels?

Now stop grasping at straws or I will close this as it is no longer any kind of tech discussion.

GoingHaam

Established Member
Three words: side wall flex. Your "argument" is similar to saying that a bias ply tire and a radial tire will be the same if they're the same diameter. Side wall flex plays a lot into the performance of a tire.
So let's be "hypothetical" take wheels that have the same over all diameter, and weigh roughly about the same on equally as good rubber, are u saying just because the inner rim is larger, performance will be destoyed? Now if u talk ride quality that different.

Available fitment and rubber selection... when you are talking about cars of tha caliber typically looks took a backseat to performance a long time ago

germeezy1

Established Member

Quit getting upset that most don't like big wheels on these cars.

Why the hell do people not run light weight 20s on the road course or drag strip?

Rotational mass, traction, etc.......

Now stop grasping at straws or I will close this as it is no longer any kind of tech discussion.

It isn't opinion that many 20 inch forged or spun forged wheels weigh less than factory style 17 or 18 inch wheels that most New Edge owners put on their cars. The OP's original post said that he has factory 17 inch wheels now and was considering 20 inch wheels which would obviously be aftermarket. It isn't as simple as saying 20 inch wheels affect all of the things that many of you say they do.

A major thrust of this thread was pure opinion about what looks good. Now tech is important? Funny.

Isn't that quite ironic that many Mustang owners think its their job to tell other Mustang owners what to do with their own cars?

So let's be "hypothetical" take wheels that have the same over all diameter, and weigh roughly about the same on equally as good rubber, are u saying just because the inner rim is larger, performance will be destoyed? Now if u talk ride quality that different.

Available fitment and rubber selection... when you are talking about cars of tha caliber typically looks took a backseat to performance a long time ago

I agree with all of this, and the bottom line is that the OP did not ask about the cars handling or ride quality. Sometimes things are done with cars simply to be different, and that is the main point I am trying to make.

fangs99

Established Member
If you want a mustang and 20" wheels get a s197.... Those are the pretty boy cars.... 99-04 cars 18's max.... They give you enough show but still alow you to still drive the car like it was designed.... And I get more complements and questions about my car because of how wide my tires are over my buddys 07 GT with 20 in wheels....

71catruck

Established Member
If you have a 17-18" rim and a 20" rim that after tires are the same height and same weight the 20 will have more rotating mass because the weight of the hoop of the rim it further away from the center of the rim. That's how it will effect performance.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
So why arbitrarily close it?

Because it will turn into a pissing match and will not do anyone any good.
Next we will have name calling and infractions issued.

I'd rather just save the headache.

But if they still want to discuss it all they need to do is google,

Big rims and rotational mass.

Yes, even a lighter 20 will under perform a heavier 17 99% of the time.

The further you move the weight away from the center the worse it gets.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
lol @ thinking 20s are so huge.... when alot of performance cars are coming OEM with them...

I respect the car spectrum all the way from lowriders on the 13s to the cars on 32s... and believe all of them have pros and cons...

people rag on the rim size and how it hurt performance, but that usually comes from people that have never experienced them. Everything a Full tank of gas to air conditioning hurt performance. and not many people i know of are taking there cars on tracks or road courses... i am all for riding a car of unnecessary wheel gap...and to me it give the car curb appeal

Ignorance, wow. No it comes from people who have experienced them. Unsprung weight is paramount when it comes to the weight hierarchy. Drive ur new edge back to back with some light 17's and heavy ass 20's then say there is little performance difference. Have fun stopping that big rig hoopty.

Users who are viewing this thread