1st Track Record

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I ran with NASA Central this weekend at Heartland Park Raceway in Topeka, KS. Saturday was a bust, it rained all day. It wasn't enough water for rain slicks, but was way too much for regular slicks. I ran a couple of sessions and decided it wasn't worth running 25 seconds off pace.

Sunday we went back out and they changed the configuration from the full course Grand Prix to their Modified Nascar A configuration. Basically got rid of two corners and replaced with a fairly high speed corner. I was a little nervous going this route as I had never ran it before, but felt confident by the end of the day. First session out I ran a 1:31, then bit 2-3 seconds a session off the rest of the day. In the 4th session I ran a 1:22.466 official time, a half second faster than the record set by a Radical SR3 (1:22.945). It was incredibly humid (63%) so I'm sure there was some power lost.

The lap after, I was pacing 1.83 seconds faster through turn 7. I went in too hot at turn 10 and ended up in the grass, destroying my front splitter and a few other parts. Going to get it on the lift today to see what parts I need to order. Fingers crossed they're in stock.

June is a busy family month for me, with almost 20 days of vacation time, so I won't be back to the track until July. I'm joining NASA Central at Kansas Speedway to run their Roval course.

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Wow man that's awesome. Congrats! That's got to be a great feeling.

Any chance you have a dragy screen grab so we can validate the record?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow man that's awesome. Congrats! That's got to be a great feeling.

Any chance you have a dragy screen grab so we can validate the record?

upload_2021-5-24_11-15-59.png

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice!

Id there an overlay/computer issue? Never saw the throttle indicator go to 100%.

For whatever reason my Tilton pedals don't mesh well with the OBDII port. Max throttle reads at 76%. I'm not sure how to re-learn or fix that issue.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hoping you didnt miss my sarcasm..

Very cool though... Im sure youre stoked!!

Haha no you're good.

I was, until I tore up my car.

The downside of driving a 20 year old racecar is how hard it is to find parts...

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s awesome Nick congrats! Hope the viper is at work with you when the new truck comes in

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I ran with NASA Central this weekend at Heartland Park Raceway in Topeka, KS. Saturday was a bust, it rained all day. It wasn't enough water for rain slicks, but was way too much for regular slicks. I ran a couple of sessions and decided it wasn't worth running 25 seconds off pace.

Sunday we went back out and they changed the configuration from the full course Grand Prix to their Modified Nascar A configuration. Basically got rid of two corners and replaced with a fairly high speed corner. I was a little nervous going this route as I had never ran it before, but felt confident by the end of the day. First session out I ran a 1:31, then bit 2-3 seconds a session off the rest of the day. In the 4th session I ran a 1:22.466 official time, a half second faster than the record set by a Radical SR3 (1:22.945). It was incredibly humid (63%) so I'm sure there was some power lost.

The lap after, I was pacing 1.83 seconds faster through turn 7. I went in too hot at turn 10 and ended up in the grass, destroying my front splitter and a few other parts. Going to get it on the lift today to see what parts I need to order. Fingers crossed they're in stock.

June is a busy family month for me, with almost 20 days of vacation time, so I won't be back to the track until July. I'm joining NASA Central at Kansas Speedway to run their Roval course.

Awesome! Congrats on the record, and hopefully the damage is easily repaired.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congratulations, Nick. Nice run and nice video! Those skies did look a bit ominous.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Carbon fiber.

0 chance. Completely thrashed haha

Figured that was likely the case, but was thinking it might be a good idea to have a new one but then fix the damaged one if possible and use that for track days and the new bumper for when/if you are showing the car.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Figured that was likely the case, but was thinking it might be a good idea to have a new one but then fix the damaged one if possible and use that for track days and the new bumper for when/if you are showing the car.

Battle tested is a way better look on racecars ;)

Users who are viewing this thread