1996 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6L & 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 | Retro Review

Kiohtee

Established Member
I don't recall completely but didn't the Cobras come with 305HP and the Z28's have 285HP. I don't remember the TQ numbers or weight of each though.

305HP for '96-98 Cobras, 320 for '99-01 (sans whatever intake manifold debacle Ford had going on at the time). Between 305 and 335HP on the '98-02 Camaro/Trans Am cars, depending on year and trim. For instance, late '01 and all '02 SS and WS6 cars made good power, but a stock '98 Z like mine would have made 305HP. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Gearing was really the difference maker with these cars.

White Ram Air Formula best combo of any 4th gen. Would love to have one then and now.

No doubt the LS1 was faster especially MPH. But my 01 cobra in the summer of 02 went 13.3 @ 105 stock. And hurt the feelings of a lot of LS1 owners who thought they'd beat me no problem.

While that seems to be on the upper end of stock Cobra times if memory serves me right, plenty of LS1 cars were making those times. Either way, stock for stock and mod for mod, it would be hard to bet against an LS1 versus an NA Cobra.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Eddie! Ha, so good to see this compilation, Sid. The good old days. Simple bolt-ons. Good music. Lunar A-pillar pod gauges. Billet idlers. Short throw shifter.

RSbeast

Established Member
I was poor when those both dropped. I was IN LOVE with the WS6.

Ended up waging my street fights in my 1g DSMs, which handled the fresh LS cars and stockish terminators without much issue. Was fun to smoke a new Vette in a pile of crap.

Eventually I owned a 94 GT. Took thousands just to run with the cheapo DSM lol. Eventually was h/c/i Vortech and pretty nasty.

Owned a 95 m6 t/a which was a great underdog. Would get my brothers 99 z28 until @45mph. Ran low 14s @ 97.

I snuck a 13.5 @ 104 out of the stock z28 at our slow track

Had a 97 cobra vert with 3:73s out back. Was a little chunky with a max grip setup. Went 13.5 @ 105 on a tire

My 06 GT with factory 3:55s went 13.9 @ 102 stock, but I couldn’t bring it out on the stock perellis without wheel hopping to death. It put up a great fight from a low roll and would win every now and then vs my brothers lid/catback 00 SS Camaro. Took out a handful of 4v cobras with it. Never quite got the bad name aspect of them. Early VCT was great.

First mod was a vortech soooo lol.

Finally got a low mile m6 black on black 02 WS6.

It ran ok. By then the 4th gens felt rather dated; esp after an s197.

Sold it and grabbed a late model c5. It’s been my favorite from the era and still in my garage. Fights off the c5z, Cobra’s and coyote cars still. But it’s going to need a boost soon.

Still I miss the aura of a terminator on the street. ‘First to 500’ was a hard car to hang with. Needed a nasty LS to hang and it’s not like they were cheap and every where like now.

NAPERCOBRA

Established Member
Back when GM was absolutely wrecking Ford, regardless of what some of you heroes will say.

Also, sign me up for a Bright Red '02 Trans Am WS6 with chrome wheels. For nostalgic purposes. Lol

I went from a 01 cobra with mods which I sold and wanted a 02 red ws6 with polished wheels, but ended up with a 02 firehawk and couldn't resist the iroc wing and slick lines. Which I still own

4d5ea74cd471c906599cd7ae0c11dd2b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I will, without hesitation trade my 02 GT convertible for a bone stock 98-02 WS6. I love my Mustang, but...

I remember beating Vipers on the street way back when with that Trans Am. An SN95 or Fox Cobra was an appetizer.

When my wife could no longer drive the car due to her being pregnant, we sold it for a loss. Irony; we named our first born "Shelby".

I will say that an unconfirmed Panoz AIV Roadster would beat on my WS6 without straining. Danny Panoz wasn't driving, but he would be proud out there in Brazelton, GA.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Blades, is that the dude who ended up in a police chase and got nailed by the cops after dipping into a neighborhood?

Never_Enough

Established Member
305HP for '96-98 Cobras, 320 for '99-01 (sans whatever intake manifold debacle Ford had going on at the time). Between 305 and 335HP on the '98-02 Camaro/Trans Am cars, depending on year and trim. For instance, late '01 and all '02 SS and WS6 cars made good power, but a stock '98 Z like mine would have made 305HP. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Gearing was really the difference maker with these cars.

While that seems to be on the upper end of stock Cobra times if memory serves me right, plenty of LS1 cars were making those times. Either way, stock for stock and mod for mod, it would be hard to bet against an LS1 versus an NA Cobra.
Even my old LT1 95 Z28 put a hurting on 96-98 Cobras on the street. :D

Having owned all 3, LT1, LS1 & 96-98 Cobras, I would buy another 96-98 Cobra 1st. Unless a 98-02 WS6 came up stupid cheap. Then screw the Cobra :D:D

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

Oh yeah that's right. I was thinking of the LT4 engine which actually came with 275HP, until 1995, instead of the 285HP. I loved the sound of those with an exhaust. They switched out the engines in the later '96 and up Camaros.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Blades, is that the dude who ended up in a police chase and got nailed by the cops after dipping into a neighborhood?
Yep, I believe so. Blades loved to street race. He was originally from my neck of the woods in CT. We hung out a few times. Then he moved to Florida. Great guy!

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Brings back so many memories... strange to think about entry level pony car trims now having the same or more hp than these bad boys.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Eventually I owned a 94 GT. Took thousands just to run with the cheapo DSM lol. Eventually was h/c/i Vortech and pretty nasty.

Oh man that doesn't surprise me one bit. The 94/95 GT's had only 215HP and more weight than a Fox, so they were really slow. I had a 94 GT for my first car. I put 3.73's in it though and it really woke up.

RX1Cobra

Established Member

No doubt. I agree overall the LS cars were faster but it was usually close enough that I could beat the driver. I had the record for a long time on the Corral for a stock 01. Not sure if anyone ever beat it?

I don't know if mine was a freak or I was a great driver. It was my first time ever at a strip and only got 4 passes on an 80 degree day. That was with a 2.2 60 so it could have gone quicker. I still own the car and have been to the track like 3 times in 17 years lol.

I went from a 01 cobra with mods which I sold and wanted a 02 red ws6 with polished wheels, but ended up with a 02 firehawk and couldn't resist the iroc wing and slick lines. Which I still own

View attachment 1478766

Great looking Hawk. I still break my neck every time I see a WS6 or Hawk. Not so much for the SS though.

Kiohtee

Established Member

That thing is absolutely beautiful!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member

I ran a 13.4 at 104 stock in my 01 Cobra with just straight pipes welded in place of the mufflers. I also got drug by a black ram air WS6 in Mexico. I don’t know what all was done but the owner was cool and it sounded good.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Oh yeah that's right. I was thinking of the LT4 engine which actually came with 275HP, until 1995, instead of the 285HP. I loved the sound of those with an exhaust. They switched out the engines in the later '96 and up Camaros.
The LT4 was rated at 330hp. The LT1 in the 93-95 4th gen F-bodies was rated at 275hp. 96 & 97 LT1 were 285.

Users who are viewing this thread