1996 SVT Ford Mustang Cobra 4.6L & 1998 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 | Retro Review

Kiohtee

Established Member
Back when GM was absolutely wrecking Ford, regardless of what some of you heroes will say.

Also, sign me up for a Bright Red '02 Trans Am WS6 with chrome wheels. For nostalgic purposes. Lol

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Back when GM was absolutely wrecking Ford, regardless of what some of you heroes will say.

Also, sign me up for a Bright Red '02 Trans Am WS6 with chrome wheels. For nostalgic purposes. Lol

Say what you want, but that was the start of the new horse power battle. ADM was salty on those Cobras. I bought the Convertible SVT and took it from the dealer to get 4:10s exhaust and tune. That thing was a beast on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recon

Established Member
Formula LS1 WS6 for me. Buddy has a formula that’s going to be nasty when he’s done with it, already has a cammed longtube 5.3 currently.

Pick your poison.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Love me a trans am. I always wanted either an SOM Firehawk or 30th ann white with the blue wheels. Best looking pony car from those years IMO.
I’ve drove around one of those 30 ann’s. What an ugly color combo imo. Needs to be black!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
That takes me back. I love the WS6's and the old 96-98 Cobras. I just wished they put the "crab claw" spoiler that came on the 94/95 Cobras on the 96-98 Cobras too.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Say what you want, but that was the start of the new horse power battle. ADM was salty on those Cobras. I bought the Convertible SVT and took it from the dealer to get 4:10s exhaust and tune. That thing was a beast on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, it's not saying what I want by any means, I'm speaking factually. I've had both as well, a 1997 Cobra and a 1998 Z28. Hands down my Z28 was the faster car stock for stock and mod for mod. IMO the Cobra always looked and sounded better, but that's where it stopped. Without a gear, NA Cobras are dead in the water. And when you equal out the playing field and put a gear in the LS1 (3.73/4.10), it pretty much spaces the gap back out, all things equal. My '98 Z had an auto and 2.73 gear and still managed to run 8.8 (almost 8.7) with me @ 250lbs, stock.

But I do agree that it was the beginning of the horsepower wars and has a lot to do with the production of the 2003-2004 Cobras.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh, it's not saying what I want by any means, I'm speaking factually. I've had both as well, a 1997 Cobra and a 1998 Z28. Hands down my Z28 was the faster car stock for stock and mod for mod. IMO the Cobra always looked and sounded better, but that's where it stopped. Without a gear, NA Cobras are dead in the water. And when you equal out the playing field and put a gear in the LS1 (3.73/4.10), it pretty much spaces the gap back out, all things equal. My '98 Z had an auto and 2.73 gear and still managed to run 8.8 (almost 8.7) with me @ 250lbs, stock.

But I do agree that it was the beginning of the horsepower wars and has a lot to do with the production of the 2003-2004 Cobras.

Great article. Ah, memories.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member

I don't recall completely but didn't the Cobras come with 305HP and the Z28's have 285HP. I don't remember the TQ numbers or weight of each though.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Formula LS1 WS6 for me.

White Ram Air Formula best combo of any 4th gen. Would love to have one then and now.

No doubt the LS1 was faster especially MPH. But my 01 cobra in the summer of 02 went 13.3 @ 105 stock. And hurt the feelings of a lot of LS1 owners who thought they'd beat me no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread