13in or 14in brake kit

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
When I put the 14" Brembo Gran Turismo kit on my R I tried a 17" CCW wheel and it fit, but barely. The stick on wheel weights were hitting so they needed to be moved. After I moved the weights I was VERY uncomfortable with the clearance. It was only an eigth of an inch or less from the wheel to the caliper. I felt the rotor needed a little more room to 'breathe' in there. This scenario would No Doubt warm the wheel up with that hot air coming out of the rotor.

So then I just decided to sell off the 12 17" CCW wheels I had and go with 18's. I don't regret it. The 14" brakes were one of the best mods I did to my car. The kit paid for itself in one year just in pad and rotor usage. I no longer have to stand on my brakes. I simply put my foot on the pedal and modulate to suit. It sure makes heel/toe work a hell of a lot easier not having to jam so much pressure on the brakes any more! :coolman:

YMMV

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
When I put the 14" Brembo Gran Turismo kit on my R I tried a 17" CCW wheel and it fit, but barely. The stick on wheel weights were hitting so they needed to be moved. After I moved the weights I was VERY uncomfortable with the clearance. It was only an eigth of an inch or less from the wheel to the caliper. I felt the rotor needed a little more room to 'breathe' in there. This scenario would No Doubt warm the wheel up with that hot air coming out of the rotor.

So then I just decided to sell off the 12 17" CCW wheels I had and go with 18's. I don't regret it. The 14" brakes were one of the best mods I did to my car. The kit paid for itself in one year just in pad and rotor usage. I no longer have to stand on my brakes. I simply put my foot on the pedal and modulate to suit. It sure makes heel/toe work a hell of a lot easier not having to jam so much pressure on the brakes any more! :coolman:

YMMV

Great knowledge.
We need more people like Bruce Large Orange Font and some other helpful folks here.
Thank you.
Jeff

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Do they fit over 4 piston 14" caliper GT's?
If so, I got yanked.
Jeff

I heard NO. and I believe it. I've seen how much room there is on a Y2K-R with factory 18s running the 14" Gran Tourismo kit. I can't imagine a cast, factory, 17x9 Cobra rim even coming close to clearing them.
If I'm wrong ...I'm wrong. I will tell you I have NEVER seen that combo anywhere. Not at the track and not on the Internet.

2004mmmach1

On The Road Course
Established Member
Well maybe i should wait a little and not buy the brembos for a couple of month. To get more seat time. But i still don't know which one to get 13in or 14in brakes? Either way i still have to change my wheels for them to fit. If i can decide now i can buy some used rims+tires for trake use only. I also will need tires soon, so maybe i should buy rims to fit the 17in for 13in brembos or 18in for 14in brembos. I would want to choose so i dont buy tire now and then sell my bullets.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Here is a photo of my 14" Brembo kit under a 17" CCW:

17ccw14brembo2ll5.jpg

As you can see, it's a might tight package. That rotor needs to breathe better than that IMHO.

YMMV,

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
They are in the range of $2,300.00 a set. IIRC the 18's were very similarly priced to the 17's.

FWIW

Ipaid more then 3k for mine with SS lines.
The wheels were fairly cheap.
The tires..
$400.00 a piece when I ran PS2's on the stock rims.
555' are ~$180.00
Jeff

g_dogg

Established Member
I wanna know if the 13inch brembo big brake kit will
fit 17x9 10th anniversary wheels ( 7 spoke).
anyone have exprerience with this setup or seen it on the net?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I wanna know if the 13inch brembo big brake kit will
fit 17x9 10th anniversary wheels ( 7 spoke).
anyone have exprerience with this setup or seen it on the net?

To clear this up.

ALL 17"x9" OEM COBRA wheels will clear the 4 piston Brembo caliper on the stock 13" Brembo rotor.

The other 17x9 Ford wheels may or may not. IE: Bullits = NO, Mach 1 = ????

I don't even know which other Ford wheels are 9" wide.

The 98 Cobra 17x8 clear also, These are the ones that look just like the 95 R wheels.

Some replica COBRA 17x9s will clear, unless converted to a deep dish design. Nearly all the 03/04 knock offs should reliably work due to the spokes being out near the outer face.

The 95R and the 10th anniversary are lighter and there for more desirable than some of the other Cobra wheels.

Last edited:

g_dogg

Established Member
thanks for the info.
Im gonna try it out.
I heard that caliper clearence has to do with spoke design
and not with offset or rim width. is this correct?

Users who are viewing this thread