13in or 14in brake kit

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I agree Bruce that better brakes are better brakes.
But if it's a matter of allocating resources, I think they could be better spent on track time...at least in the beginning.
And this is a Mach, a little better balanced (and slower) car than a termy.
But that's what this forum is for. To get ideas, and run with them.
Juan, I say stick with Miller. :beer:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I agree Bruce that better brakes are better brakes.
But if it's a matter of allocating resources, I think they could be better spent on track time...at least in the beginning.
And this is a Mach, a little better balanced (and slower) car than a termy.
But that's what this forum is for. To get ideas, and run with them.
Juan, I say stick with Miller. :beer:

Well, that changes my suggestion only slightly. I actually missed the description of the car and 'assumed' it was a Term?! :shrug:

I agree that few things are more important than seat time and exposure to a diversity of different instructors. :thumbsup:

I'm going with the Miller as well! :beer:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Guys, He has a Mach 1 and already has the PBR front calipers and 13 in rotors.

If you really want to spend money on brakes get the 13in 2000R Brembo kit, or Focus RS calipers. The 14 in kit is overkill for just starting out.

I hated the stock calipers, and the Brembos were the first mod to my car. In fairness, I never ran the PBR stock calipers with better pads and SS lines.

Good SS lines and better pads with the cooling ducts you already have should be a great start, and would be all you need for awhile. The Mach 1 is a bit lighter car, so I can imagine the stock PBR calipers will be more effective.

Last edited:

David Hester

Established Member
Um.
We've been using those "marginal" PBR calipers for years in A/Sedan (GM and Ford). We stop our 3300-3500 lbs cars just fine, thank you. ;-)
SCCA%20Road%20Atlanta%20Ju%2310008.jpg

Yeah, some of the National guys say they have problems with them "clam shelling" or spreading. I guess I'm not that fast, because I've never had a problem. :^(
They did change rules last year to allow any 4 piston caliper with 12.2" rotors.
I have a set of Wilwood's I'll put on when I use up all my PBR parts and pads, but I'm probably good for next couple of seasons.

Last edited:

2004mmmach1

On The Road Course
Established Member
If i were to have brembo calipers would it be a good idea to use spacers because i have DD Bullet wheels. Or should i have wheels that clear the brakes without spacers. Will 03 cobra replica wheels clear the brakes.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I want to upgrade my brake but want to know what wverybody recommend. If I get the 00cobraR brake i can have cheaper tires and rims because i just need a 17in rim. But with the 14in gt500 kit i will need 18in wheels and the tire will cost more. Is it a big diferencein the two, is it worth it.

You'll need 18's to fit 14's
Thirteen's are more than enough for the street.
Do you think this set-up will take 17"s?
dsc1522hi6.jpg

Jeff

Last edited:

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
If i were to have brembo calipers would it be a good idea to use spacers because i have DD Bullet wheels. Or should i have wheels that clear the brakes without spacers. Will 03 cobra replica wheels clear the brakes.

Why mess with the geometry?
Doesn't make sense.
Jeff

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Juan, in the Ford parts bin, three 17" wheels will clear Brembo calipers (I still don't think you need to change them to start with, just get good pads).

'98 Cobra wheels (only 8")
'95 Cobra R (and replicas)
'03 10th Anniv wheels

Happy shopping. But you can run with your stock wheels and good tires until you see if this is for you.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Juan, in the Ford parts bin, three 17" wheels will clear Brembo calipers (I still don't think you need to change them to start with, just get good pads).

'98 Cobra wheels (only 8")
'95 Cobra R (and replicas)
'03 10th Anniv wheels

Happy shopping. But you can run with your stock wheels and good tires until you see if this is for you.

ANY factory Ford 17X9 wheel will fit over the brembos. the only 17X8 that will fit is the 98 cobra.

Bullitt factory and 17X9 replicas will NOT fit.

LargeOrangeFont

Established Member
Thanks but it's a little late now.
Do you know which wheels would fit?
I really love the stock chrome Cobra 17x9's
Thanks
Jeff

I would start with japanese tuner type wheels. Something definately without a lip There are EVOs that run large calipers like that on similar width wheels.

Do you have more than 1/2 inch clearance between the top of the caliper where the pads drop in and the rim?

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
I would start with japanese tuner type wheels. Something definately without a lip There are EVOs that run large calipers like that on similar width wheels.

Do you have more than 1/2 inch clearance between the top of the caliper where the pads drop in and the rim?

Not sure. I'd have to go look and measure.
Thanks man.
Jeff

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
ANY factory Ford 17X9 wheel will fit over the brembos. the only 17X8 that will fit is the 98 cobra.

Bullitt factory and 17X9 replicas will NOT fit.

Does the stock '03/04 17x9 fit over Brembo's? I thought I saw some guys on cc.com getting the 10th anniv to replace their stock wheels.

Users who are viewing this thread