10.8@127mph - 4200lbs race weight

Zemedici

Established Member
Have an 04 terminator. Serious question here. I thought rods were the weak spot in these motors, limiting you to somewhere in the 600whp range? What did I miss? I know I’m not imagining things here. Lol

no sir.

Those cars can run 6-700whp EASILY. Know a few buddies running close to 4 figures on stock bottom ends.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have an 04 terminator. Serious question here. I thought rods were the weak spot in these motors, limiting you to somewhere in the 600whp range? What did I miss? I know I’m not imagining things here. Lol

These guys have pretty much explained the difference.

Powdered forged vs how manly forged (I believe drop but the data escapes my mind) is a huge difference, as is Chinese metal vs American metal.

China allows dirty metal and also literally makes employees crawl sometimes down the street if they miss sales goals. This isn’t a steel company, it’s a cosmetics company, but ya this is ridiculous.

53E4FED1-CDC2-47F8-BFB1-874EA5982211.jpeg

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Haha I've owned and worked on a bunch of terminators. They're beasts and will always be the standard which everything else is measured by although 1100+ whp from a stock terminator long lock isn't exactly common place.

I was teasing you because I know that you have seen more terminators than almost anyone save an assembly line production tech haha

I actually really like the hellcats and demons, I think in ethos they are the evolution of the terminator.

Curt@injected

I was teasing you because I know that you have seen more terminators than almost anyone save an assembly line production tech haha

I actually really like the hellcats and demons, I think in ethos they are the evolution of the terminator.

Lol. Ya I figured as much and yes I agree. Honestly I wish they were a ford product because they are exactly what I wish ford was building or what should have been the natural evolution of the terminator. Hopefully the new gt500 will change all of that.

Curt@injected

Serious question...was testing at Dodge so hurried that they somehow overlooked these impending failures or deemed any they saw as insignificant and not a true and accurate sampling of what happens when tracked hard?

Who knows. Maybe it wasn't in the budget to re-engineer the entire subframe. They had to have experienced diff failures while chasing that "hero" run.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My point exactly. The failures seen at this point show a weak link in the chain or a Factor of Safety that was deemed acceptable within certain constraints.

csc427

Established Member
no sir.

Those cars can run 6-700whp EASILY. Know a few buddies running close to 4 figures on stock bottom ends.
Also, why do I see so many cars with upgraded bottom ends that are only in the 800whp range? What would be the point if they’re good for 1000whp?

Curt@injected

My point exactly. The failures seen at this point show a weak link in the chain or a Factor of Safety that was deemed acceptable within certain constraints.

No doubt. It is still a dodge but there's no denying that there are som true car guys at FCA. Tim K being one of them. Ford needs a Tim K.

Let's not pretend that any of the ford offerings come with 0 issues from the factory either though.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Also, why do I see so many cars with upgraded bottom ends that are only in the 800whp range? What would be the point if they’re good for 1000whp?

-because everyone thinks they're a tuner, when they're not
-because people do dumb shit when installing things
-because people do dumb shit while driving the cars
-because people put in wrong fuel

etc etc

know personally of a car making 800-850whp that my man above me ^^^ tuned

Curt what's that car make for torque? 2 billion? lolol

ANGREY

Established Member
How many 90's production cars were capable of 1100 whp on a stock longblock and blower? Or were capable of 9.1's with simple bolt ons? You may want to do a little research.

Fact is the hellcat/demon engines are far more capable from the factory than anything ford has produced to date including the 13/14 gt500.

Why do Dodge fanboys always have to use this word "stock?" it reminds me of Big10 fans who insist on pointing out that their school has superior academics. No one cares if it's stock or not.

My point is that volumetric efficiency and specific output, 840 crank hp out of a blown 6.2L engine is OLD technology and frankly an OLD (very old benchmark). Guys were making 800 ponies from an engine that size 3 decades ago.

My secondary point is, I don't expect Dodge to field a 2.3L with a zillion psi of boost that revs to the moon to get it done, however, it's OBVIOUS that they haven't spent a DIME in any sort of tech r/d for better valvetrain and higher revving or weight savings, or wringing out what a 6.2L motor is capable of producing. The fact that they tuned the motor to require RACE FUEL to get 800 HP out of a 380 cubic inch motor is pretty weak and pathetic. There are guys making those numbers out of motors (on race fuel) at 1/3 of the size.

I could set all that aside if the car wasn't a pig. The HC/Demon would be a special offering if it didn't weigh 2 and a half tons. There's absolutely NO reason why a 2 door car should weigh 4400 lbs.

Dodge could have made 800hp on pump gas with a much lighter power plant and saved a couple hundred lbs alone there. Sure, with less torque, but every lb you shave off lessens how much torque you need to move the car. Then, they could have spent some money on lightweight components and shaved a few hundred lbs more. At the end of the day, an 800 hp demon at 3500 lbs would be a special car. It's also an iterative process whereby that 1000 extra lbs doesn't demand such beefy and heavy components. Furthermore, every lb you shave off improves the handling and braking characteristics of the car (not that those things are important to Mopar heads, but hey, as long as you've got wheels, doesn't hurt to turn and stop).

It's evident, dodge didn't spend a dime on anything new or innovative on their challenger/charger lines. My point is, there's virtually NOTHING in the Demon/Hellcat line beyond the electronics package that wasn't available or achievable in the mid 90's.

My94GT

Established Member
Why do Dodge fanboys always have to use this word "stock?" it reminds me of Big10 fans who insist on pointing out that their school has superior academics. No one cares if it's stock or not.

My point is that volumetric efficiency and specific output, 840 crank hp out of a blown 6.2L engine is OLD technology and frankly an OLD (very old benchmark). Guys were making 800 ponies from an engine that size 3 decades ago.

My secondary point is, I don't expect Dodge to field a 2.3L with a zillion psi of boost that revs to the moon to get it done, however, it's OBVIOUS that they haven't spent a DIME in any sort of tech r/d for better valvetrain and higher revving or weight savings, or wringing out what a 6.2L motor is capable of producing. The fact that they tuned the motor to require RACE FUEL to get 800 HP out of a 380 cubic inch motor is pretty weak and pathetic. There are guys making those numbers out of motors (on race fuel) at 1/3 of the size.

I could set all that aside if the car wasn't a pig. The HC/Demon would be a special offering if it didn't weigh 2 and a half tons. There's absolutely NO reason why a 2 door car should weigh 4400 lbs.

Dodge could have made 800hp on pump gas with a much lighter power plant and saved a couple hundred lbs alone there. Sure, with less torque, but every lb you shave off lessens how much torque you need to move the car. Then, they could have spent some money on lightweight components and shaved a few hundred lbs more. At the end of the day, an 800 hp demon at 3500 lbs would be a special car. It's also an iterative process whereby that 1000 extra lbs doesn't demand such beefy and heavy components. Furthermore, every lb you shave off improves the handling and braking characteristics of the car (not that those things are important to Mopar heads, but hey, as long as you've got wheels, doesn't hurt to turn and stop).

It's evident, dodge didn't spend a dime on anything new or innovative on their challenger/charger lines. My point is, there's virtually NOTHING in the Demon/Hellcat line beyond the electronics package that wasn't available or achievable in the mid 90's.

Maybe just maybe dodge was accounting for conservative tunes with their power figures so they could safely warranty the car. What manufacturer doesn’t do that? If that weren’t the case we wouldn’t see people immediately bragging about a new tune or pulley swap making more power.

As far as the weight, and cornering, that doesn’t seem to have been their goal with the car at this time frame and it has yet to impact the sales or their fan base. Now moving forward with the 2020 revamp it has already been stated that hybrid tech will be utilized as well as a smaller cube motor, and newer tech to lighten the car along with a new chassis.

Are they behind the times a bit on it, sure, but they also kept pumping out fun cars for their fan base. Remember it’s relatively a small niche of people like yourself and others here on forums that are drilling down further into what we expect out of sports car offerings. The majority of buyers are just looking for something to have fun and brag about numbers, they are lucky to hit a drag strip ever and next to none will hit a road course let alone much sprinted back road driving.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
-because everyone thinks they're a tuner, when they're not
-because people do dumb shit when installing things
-because people do dumb shit while driving the cars
-because people put in wrong fuel
LMFAO
I love watching Youtube videos and reading threads like those!!!! They get me a good chuckle.

Users who are viewing this thread