10.8@127mph - 4200lbs race weight

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Jesus dude, Just say you hate the car and move on. Demanding all these specific configurations to run in is madness and childish. You are the biggest Ford homer sometimes.

This is as close to a streetable Cobra Jet/Chally Drag Pack/Copo Camaro as you’re gonna get with a license plate. Did FCA get a little over zealous on it’s real-world capabilities? Probably. Still doesn’t take away from the fact it’s still fast a ****

The new GT500 is a completely different car. Definitely won’t run with a Demon in the 1/4, but will be a MUCH better rounded car and still retarded fast.

This thread has gotten almost as stupid as the Ford GT vs. Demon thread.

What I was trying to say is that I would not want to drive the cobra jet or demon with the skinnies up front and dr/et/slicks on the highway. Yes my language was too emotional. That’s my fault.

My94GT

Established Member
I think the GT500 will still be a solid performer and with likely very light mods have no problems still being an adequate quarter horse.

The demon is purpose built, a better comparison for the GT500 would likely be the Redeye which still is more drag oriented anyway. I see one just ran 10.6 on a nitto drag radial on stock wheels. Not too shabby and I’d likely expect similar from the GT500 on a tire.

Curt@injected

I think the GT500 will still be a solid performer and with likely very light mods have no problems still being an adequate quarter horse.

The demon is purpose built, a better comparison for the GT500 would likely be the Redeye which still is more drag oriented anyway. I see one just ran 10.6 on a nitto drag radial on stock wheels. Not too shabby and I’d likely expect similar from the GT500 on a tire.

I want to say a redeye just went 10.3 on a tire at this same event. Can't remember the source,

I hope they make a gt500 drag pack. A direct demon competitor from ford would be sick. I'm also not holding my breath on that one.

csc427

Established Member

Agreed. No doubt the gt500 will be a great performer and with mods, most everything is fast. Lol. I think the GT500 will run even or maybe even slightly faster than re stock for stock straight line. And of course a ton faster on the twisties.

csc427

Established Member
I want to say a redeye just went 10.3 on a tire at this same event. Can't remember the source,

I hope they make a gt500 drag pack. A direct demon competitor from ford would be sick. I'm also not holding my breath on that one.
Oh...not sure about the GT500 being even or slightly faster if that the case. Lol. Hope so though. Was this with a drag radial?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wonder what people would say if the gt500 ended up being close or toe to toe with the demon when both have the same fuel and tires.

Stock vs modded is obviously a valid point. I’m not detesting that.

My point is who separate of the fanboy thought police, and internet political correctness squad cares? To the people defending track prep as stock, you aren’t wrong, but your point has 1% validity at a drag strip.

People will track prep a car they are racing. I’m excited at the possibility that the gt500 is likely in the 9’s when prepped for the strip. Of the cars that will hit the strip, I predict less than 1% will be 100% stock down to the factory supplied air pressure, plastic protection wraps, and window stickers. Once you pull that off and drop pressure, you become the known red headed stepchild bastard of the car god and you will face the wrath of idle furry! Stricken will be you with the plagues of Egypt ravished. Swarmed you will be by all the demons of Sunder. The fate of Lazarus will befall your waking thoughts as you forever know you have dephiled your manufactures sacred sled of utopian perfection.

Get the **** real guys. It’s race gas and tires.

PIPO

Established Member
Mid 10s on a tire and I’m a happy camper. Based on what we know, I’m buying one. Already found a source below MSRP. Hopefully the price is south of $90k.

Curt@injected

I wonder what people would say if the gt500 ended up being close or toe to toe with the demon when both have the same fuel and tires.

My point is who separate of the fanboy thought police, and internet political correctness squad cares? To the people defending track prep as stock, you aren’t wrong, but your point has 1% validity at a drag strip.

People will track prep a car they are racing. I’m excited at the possibility that the gt500 is likely in the 9’s when prepped for the strip. Of the cars that will hit the strip, I predict less than 1% will be 100% stock down to the factory supplied air pressure, plastic protection wraps, and window stickers. Once you pull that off and drop pressure, you become the known red headed stepchild bastard of the car god and you will face the wrath of idle furry! Stricken will be you with the plagues of Egypt ravished. Swarmed you will be by all the demons of Sunder. The fate of Lazarus will befall your waking thoughts as you forever know you have dephiled your manufactures sacred sled of utopian perfection.

I'd say that's pretty badass although tbh I kinda doubt it will. The demon's stock suspension works really well. If you don't break the diff, a pullied car can easily go 1.3-1.35 60's on stock springs, shocks etc at full weight. That's why I'm hoping for a drag pack gt500.

PIPO

Established Member
I get the feeling the final product will NOT disappoint at all.

I also get the feeling Dodge has something in the works for the new challenger platform, which if I'm not mistaken is due for 2021.

ANGREY

Established Member
My personal opinion is that Dodge knows what's at stake with their two big marketing gimmicks. Highest crank hp number and advertised "stock" 1/4 mile times.

I think Ford obviously opted not to get into that game. Could they make 900hp from a 5.2 liter blown motor on 93. Absolutely, all day long and twice on Sunday and not even break a sweat doing it. Would it be practical, insurable, etc? I think Ford realized that they're chasing a different segment of the market.

Let Dodge be the bench press champion of the gym. I think Ford is more interested in a well rounded workout. Having said that, again, my PERSONAL opinion is that it's pretty pathetic that a car that's not even designed to be a drag car is going to compete with a self proclaimed drag car right out of the box, have WAY more upside and potential for quick 1/4 times for those bold enough to modify AND destroy the boat cars in every other automotive aspect.

So yeah, who cares if the new 500 is a half second behind the Demon in "stock" trim. As I've said before, within 6 months there's going to be guys who pulley swap and retune and smoke the one hit wonder in a straight line (as we've seen with the 18+GTs). Will it be stock? Nope. Will anyone but Mopar heads care? Nope.

A 4500 lb car is NOT a great starting platform for a drag car. In other shocking news, the pope is Catholic and water is wet.

If one were to decide they're NEVER going to touch the car and whatever performance it leaves the factory is good for them, MAYBE the Demon/Hellcat is a car to have (I still question the value and pricing of such, but whatevs).

IF I were to want to have a car that goes in a straight line as fast as possible (as I did when I was younger) I wouldn't buy a Demon. I'd by a Camaro or a Mustang GT and mod it and run 8's (and have $30k sitting in the bank leftover in case something breaks). The fact that an all around MMA fighter is even in the same conversation as a singular focused pig of a car in straight line performance, is more of a sad indictment against the Demon/Hellcat.

csc427

Established Member

If I’m not mistaken, some of those 9 second demon passes are 93 octane and a tire correct? If a stock GT500 with tire can match that, I’d be pumped as hell. Although I can’t see that happening, unfortunately. And race gas in the GT500 would require a tune, hence voided the warranty. I’m all about modding cars, don’t get me wrong. But if this car can dip into the 9’s with only a tire, then I’m fine with it being just that.

My94GT

Established Member
If the GT500 were to run with a demon by all means I’m down with that. I doubt it’ll happen with out a tune and tire at the very least. At that point light mods to the demon would again net better results. Apples to oranges.

Also if someone really wants to do it they could buy a wide body hellcat and do suspension work and have a very capable road course car.

That’s the joy of this segment, so many options and if one is wanting to mod, any of them can be tailored to better fit them.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Also if someone really wants to do it they could buy a wide body hellcat and do suspension work and have a very capable road course car. ...

56-EDEA60-483-D-404-A-A80-D-560-B6-B7-A069-A.gif

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
You could make a front runner that fits over the front brakes. I don't see how it's impossible to think they could make a street legal gt500 package that was designed for drag racers.
Yeah,....but those rotors though.
You'd have to swap out rotors too, no?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
They could do a lot of things. I don't see production engineers emasculating the braking system or performance in order to offer a drag-style option. Ford seems to be happy to leave that to the CJ offered through Ford Racing which sadly, isn't street legal.

LostM

Established Member
If I’m not mistaken, some of those 9 second demon passes are 93 octane and a tire correct? If a stock GT500 with tire can match that, I’d be pumped as hell. Although I can’t see that happening, unfortunately. And race gas in the GT500 would require a tune, hence voided the warranty. I’m all about modding cars, don’t get me wrong. But if this car can dip into the 9’s with only a tire, then I’m fine with it being just that.
race gas does not void a warranty, nor always require a tune. Throw some MS109 in there, watch it hit peak timing targets and add 30rwhp.

the gt500 will absolutely need a tire to hit low 10's or less.

My biggest grin, is coming from knowing whats going to happen in the real world though. from a roll, where at least 50% races happen now, the "stock" demons are going to get romped from stock 500's.

and then basic bolt ons and its going to get worse. the strip ETs will then be close. pulley, tune, tire, exhaust, E85 500 Vs Demons. But those same basic bolt on 500's are going to be trapping well above demons, and as much if not more than the modded ones, in the mid 140's. and again, from a roll, its going to be a massacre.

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
My biggest grin, is coming from knowing whats going to happen in the real world though. from a roll, where at least 50% races happen now, the "stock" demons are going to get romped from stock 500's.
[/QUOTE]

Put the PIPE down my friend. I will bet you $500 right now that from a ROLL race with the Demon running 100 Octane it will walk a GT500. Demons are going to get ROMPED? Let's see the Demon has 760 at the wheels, weighs roughly the same as a GT500 and it's 8-speed tranny is incredible. You really need to drive a Demon to understand.

You also sound like a totally child when you start proclaiming how it's going to get worst once you start modding a GT500. Wait, so only the FORD guy can mod? Go look at the trap speed on a modded demon. 144mph. There's a reason ford is saying BELOW 11 seconds and DODGE can say, BELOW 10 Seconds. So go mod that statement and put your money where your mouth is. A DEMON will WALK a GT500 from a dig AND from a roll. Power is power is power.

Users who are viewing this thread