03-04 Reman engine info.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I don't think I'll will lose any sleep over it but I am curious as to what is in there. Thankfully I'm not a cat so my curiosity won't kill me :rolling:

I'm actually pretty pumped now that I've found out my car has a reman motor vs the original early production one it left the factory with. It only took me five years to find out.

People have asked me if I have even done a compression or leak down test.
I never have. The car runs to good and there is no reason to do so.
Ignorance is bliss!

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
People have asked me if I have even done a compression or leak down test.
I never have. The car runs to good and there is no reason to do so.
Ignorance is bliss!

Agreed! I sometimes have a tendency of fixing things until they're broke...

mach1033

Established Member
The bottom line is don't worry about it.
The remans have to meet or exceed Ford requirements.
I haven't heard of any failures except a turbo guy running 1000+
Mine has been in since 2005. It has seen more dyno time that 20 cars on here combined.
The motor has been auto crossed, road raced and has made a lot of 1/4 mile passes.
If you want a custom motor pay to have one built. Expect $5000+ easy.
Just my $.02 which is probably worth $.01

Mine failed for a lean condition :bash:

TVSCobra

Established Member
Did some digging myself today but not sure how accurate the info is I received. I emailed AER and asked the same questions. I was told the reman engines have all stock components except the pistons. David, the person i spoke to, said he thinks the pistons are Federal Mogul and the PTW clearance is the same as stock. So it seems like there are conflicting stories coming from AER. I guess it just depends on what person you speak to :shrug:

I talked to him and then another guy who told me Mahle.

dpancer

Established Member
I talked to him and then another guy who told me Mahle.

as did I, they are forged Mahles. I was also told that they are built to ford's original OEM spec which means the PTW clearance will be the same. However, I cannot confirm this.

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
as did I, they are forged Mahles. I was also told that they are built to ford's original OEM spec which means the PTW clearance will be the same. However, I cannot confirm this.

Same clearance as OEM. But the reman. motor's pistons dont swell like the original stockers:beer:

BMR Tech

Same clearance as OEM. But the reman. motor's pistons dont swell like the original stockers:beer:

They are likely spec'd the same as the OEM pieces. (design of piston)

They are also the same 4032 Alloy, which is the least swelling piston material. (no way a factory Ford piston would ever be 2618 Alloy)

The tolerances of an OEM engine with Mahle, or comparable pistons, is tight simply because a 4032 Alloy piston is designed to use a tight PTW.....because it does not swell/expand much under extreme heat conditions.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
New dude reman went tits up and spun a bearing. First iv heard of reman failing

New dude reman went tits up and spun a bearing. First iv heard of reman failing

Anymore info on this?

Was he using the same tune that failed on his previous build?

What break in oil was used?

using the Ford OEM oil pump or aftermarket?

Failed after how many miles?

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Anymore info on this?

Was he using the same tune that failed on his previous build?

What break in oil was used?

using the Ford OEM oil pump or aftermarket?

Failed after how many miles?

Honestly don't know the details but maybe it did have something to do with the break in period. Last I heard from him...he was exhausted with his ride and sold it with a damaged motor. He sold it cheap too

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Honestly don't know the details but maybe it did have something to do with the break in period. Last I heard from him...he was exhausted with his ride and sold it with a damaged motor. He sold it cheap too

I think the warranty was denied because they claimed the intake was not cleaned out and debris entered the motor. No idea if that is true or not...that was at least the official word from ford. But he wasn't the only one posting in his for sale thread complaining of a reman knocking with very little mileage...someone else posted a similar story, that also included 2 bosses for motor mounts helicoiled and a cut oil cooler o-ring.

Be careful when you buy these, keep them surgically clean and give it a damn thorough inspection before you install it. Sounds like once it's installed...your chance of warranty coverage just left town.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I think the warranty was denied because they claimed the intake was not cleaned out and debris entered the motor. No idea if that is true or not...that was at least the official word from ford. But he wasn't the only one posting in his for sale thread complaining of a reman knocking with very little mileage...someone else posted a similar story, that also included 2 bosses for motor mounts helicoiled and a cut oil cooler o-ring.

Be careful when you buy these, keep them surgically clean and give it a damn thorough inspection before you install it. Sounds like once it's installed...your chance of warranty coverage just left town.

That's bad news and typical of trying to get anything warrantied or return for DOA these days. :nonono:

Sajin

Established Member
Just purchased one of these engines. Mike R was great to deal with. Shop put the motor in, timing chain broke on first start-up, cylinders have no compression. :fm:

Last edited:

cobra-k

Established Member
Just purchased one of these engines. Mike R was great to deal with. Shop put the motor in, timing chain broke on first start-up, cylinders have no compression. :fm:

Why did it happen? Was it installed properly? Warranty covering it? Lets hear some details.

Sajin

Established Member
Why did it happen? Was it installed properly? Warranty covering it? Lets hear some details.

No idea yet. I'll give the details once I get some updates. The engine was installed at an independent installer that performs work on mustangs all the time. The guy who installed the engine works on only 03 cobras so installing the engine properly shouldn't have been an issue.

Found another failure on this site... http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...04-new-hurt-remanufactured-motor-details.html

dpancer

Established Member
I just finished swapping all my components to my new reman a few hours ago. I'm not enjoying hearing these horror stories at this point....there goes my sleep tonight. Please keep us update, I will as well.

I do have a question for everyone one else with one. Did it come with the freeze plug installed on the passenger side head? mine did, I found that a bit wierd. I also just learned that my old motor apparently had an LDC cooling mod installed on it as well....after I purchased and installed the even flow cooling mod. I wonder if I just stick to the LDC and pop both freeze plugs out or use the even flow as well. You think there are any added benefits from combining both cooling mods?

Nolimit

Established Member
I just finished swapping all my components to my new reman a few hours ago. I'm not enjoying hearing these horror stories at this point....there goes my sleep tonight. Please keep us update, I will as well.

I do have a question for everyone one else with one. Did it come with the freeze plug installed on the passenger side head? mine did, I found that a bit wierd. I also just learned that my old motor apparently had an LDC cooling mod installed on it as well....after I purchased and installed the even flow cooling mod. I wonder if I just stick to the LDC and pop both freeze plugs out or use the even flow as well. You think there are any added benefits from combining both cooling mods?

Let us know how it goes maybe start a new thread. How much did you pay?

Users who are viewing this thread