02 SS vs. Roush Mustang

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Nice Camaro...there's something about the Camaro that seems to make me want to get one..but NO...I rather get the incredible the very thoight 03/04 Cobra...(tight...trying to sound like Goldmember):beer: :rockon:

tommyhil4_6

Buh Bye
Not all Gt's are stock when they rev at ya :) Good kill on a roush... Did it have a whine at all? The stage 1's aren't V6's for those wondering. They have a different front bumper, and the body kit w. the rims, suspension and some other junk but they are v8's.. You can get v6's don't know why you would but you can....

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by tommyhil4_6
Not all Gt's are stock when they rev at ya :) Good kill on a roush... Did it have a whine at all? The stage 1's aren't V6's for those wondering. They have a different front bumper, and the body kit w. the rims, suspension and some other junk but they are v8's.. You can get v6's don't know why you would but you can....

To be honest, I really couldn't hear the Rosh behind me. My exhaust is to loud at high rpms. If you want to hear what a chambered exhaust sounds like, go to gmmginc.net then click on the chambered exhaust link. They have some sound files.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
380SS, IMHO the interior needed to be refined, but its exterior was great. I hope they don't change it a lot.

I concur. The plastic throughout just doesn't do the car justice. Part of the reason for declining sales during it’s last seven years. But Camaro's goal was to make an affordable car to compete with the mustang. If we were to have the same fit and finish as in, say, the Mach I (aluminum trim option) then we probably would NOT have the LS1 engine, with aluminum drive shafts. In my opinion that trade off doesn’t cut it, I’d rather have the LS1 over some shining stuff in my interior any day. The Mach I is a nice car with good looks, but that engine doesn’t belong.

As the Camaro rolled on through the years, Camaro buyers stopped comparing it to the mustang and started comparing it to the Vette. The separation there is the surprise. Camaro went on a vacation; look for it to be back. Lets be honest with each other, if ford doesn't start doing something with the engine on the GT soon and take advantage of this opportunity to compete with out a competitor, Camaro will come back to reclaim it's place as the #1 car in performance and value.

We Camaro owners should be thankful to Ford. If it wasn’t for the mustang, then it’s possible that Camaro may not have come about.

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
Camaro will come back to reclaim it's place as the #1 car in performance and value.

The Z06 is hands down even at MSRP. If you tried to get a Mustang or LS1 on the all around performance level of the Z06 it would cost more.

EDIT: one too many "you"s.

Last edited:
When a GT owner revs at a SS hes sayin' F U...When a GT owner revs at a Cobra hes sayin' W U....You may be tired of GT owners who rev...but how do you think us modded cobra owners feel when a ricer revs..(I mean Farts) at us...as if any amount of money would make them fast enough!

Paul Vincent

Established Member
380SS, I don't know if I'm right about thias or not, but I almost wonder if GM thought it was too much (performance) for Chevy to have both the Vette and the Camaro. I hope I'm wrong (or if that was the thinking a few years ago that it is not the thinking now), and that GM and Chevy really deliver on the new Camaro. Fact is, competition (Ford &Chevy) is what makes things better for all of us. Also, I understand what you wrote about the Camaro and cost restraints, and I agree with you.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
Very nice LS1. Based on the mods you listed, it's 380hp at the crank...not rwhp. Whatever the case, it's a beatiful car.

Are you a member of LS1Tech.com? You should be if not.

Your Camaro is absofrigginlutely awesome!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Damn I love Camaros!!!! I think I need therapy, I just can't get over my obsession with'em.

vipergts281

Established Member
Nice car buddy. :beer:

If the Roush was a Stage 1 or 2, they aren't that fast. Just a GT with a CAI. The Stage 3's are the fast ones.

Either way, nice job.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by shanker
The Z06 is hands down even at MSRP. If you tried to get a Mustang or LS1 on the all around performance level of the Z06 it would cost more.

EDIT: one too many "you"s.

Different category, but I understand what you’re saying and agree. Chevrolet puts a lot of R&D into the total package. IMHO anybody can make a 500+hp monster, but can you apply that power to the ground. The Z06 trap speeds are faster than the viper. How can this be when the viper has more ponies than the vette. In total car performance, the Vette will win everyday.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by 03soniccobra01
When a GT owner revs at a SS hes sayin' F U...When a GT owner revs at a Cobra hes sayin' W U....You may be tired of GT owners who rev...but how do you think us modded cobra owners feel when a ricer revs..(I mean Farts) at us...as if any amount of money would make them fast enough!

Still doesn't add up in my opinion. A GT, stock, is giving up close to 100hp to a stock LS1. I think it weights a couple hundred pounds more too. Apparently he just needs his
A$$ dusted a few times by an LS1 before he wakes up. I must admit getting rev'd at by a ricer has to be a total insult, never been farted-on by a ricer. However, I will submit that there are some rice'd out cars that can and will compete. Few, but they do exist.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
380SS, I don't know if I'm right about thias or not, but I almost wonder if GM thought it was too much (performance) for Chevy to have both the Vette and the Camaro. I hope I'm wrong (or if that was the thinking a few years ago that it is not the thinking now), and that GM and Chevy really deliver on the new Camaro. Fact is, competition (Ford &Chevy) is what makes things better for all of us. Also, I understand what you wrote about the Camaro and cost restraints, and I agree with you.

I do know that Chevy, when it brought the LS1 on-board, that it worded the HP and TQ so that it was not brought online with the Vette. The Vette is the flag ship and cannot be outshined by a car producing the same HP and TQ and still be $20K cheaper.

When they produced a few of these performance enhanced camaro's for the last production year. The Phase II actually exceeded the HP and TQ of the Vette, and was still under the Vettes MSRP by some $5K. But in order for Chevrolet to back/support this Camaro with a full factory warranty it had to be underrated in the HP and TQ department in print. While in fact it was much higher. This is no secret, Chevrolet has done this in the past and will continue. I'am specifically talking about the Phase II Camaro's. When they sold, they were selling with a rated HP/TQ combo of 410 and 415 respectively. The same car with the same mods was actually 435 rwhp.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by unit213
Very nice LS1. Based on the mods you listed, it's 380hp at the crank...not rwhp. Whatever the case, it's a beatiful car.

Are you a member of LS1Tech.com? You should be if not.

You are correct. That is crank HP. Dyno rwhp should be around 325-330. They did everything except crack the heads. The head, cam and header package (phase II) they offer can exceed 490 at the crank.

Right now I'm still enjoying (believe it or not) the 380. I do have plans on sending it back to GMMG for the phase II build-up in the future.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by tommyhil4_6
The stage 1's aren't V6's for those wondering. They have a different front bumper, and the body kit w. the rims, suspension and some other junk but they are v8's.. You can get v6's don't know why you would but you can....
You can get a V6 Stage 1.

380SS

Established Member
But this one had the cobra hood so I'm guessing it was a II, or III. Not sure if it was charged. Glad I didn't talk about killing a V6

Users who are viewing this thread