02 SS vs. Roush Mustang

380SS

Established Member
I was approaching a stop light to turn left onto an "On Ramp" when I spotted a Roush in the left hand lane, also making the turn". We sort of eyeballed each other and both new what was to happen next. I do not like launching into a left hand turn from a standing position; I tend to lose the rear end all the time. Anyhow light turns green, we take off, not sure what he was doing, maybe he was afraid of loosing it in the bend also, but it was enough for me to get a pretty good jump on him so much so he never caught up to me. As we entered the high way, traffic was to thick so I backed it down. He blows by me as if trying to get some redemption. In his heart, he knows he lost to a SS Camaro. Granted mine is not your typical SS but it was developed by Chevrolet and carries the full factory warranty. Thought I would share that with you all.

One more thing, I don't mind playing with Cobra's and or Roush's, but those stock GT guys need to stop acting like they have something under the hood. Just the other day I was driving on post (military) going one way while the GT guy was heading towards me. As we pass each other he decides to race his engine. I just smiled.

03cobra76

11 second club
Established Member
if you dont mind me asking...what is a tom henry SS camaro, is that like a saleen mustang?

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by 03cobra76
if you dont mind me asking...what is a tom henry SS camaro, is that like a saleen mustang?

Do not mind at all. It's a performance enhanced Camaro. Chevrolet, along with GMMG (www.GMMGinc.net) built a few hundred of these cars for the last model year, from the 380hp phase I (my car) to the 600hp ZL1.

It's sort of what Jack Roush does. The only thing I don't know is whether or not Ford will back a Roush for warranty purposes.

Phase I is 380hp/400lbft of Torque. 3.73 gears, 1.5" drop plus other exterior enhancements

Phase II gets a 435hp (rwhp) 4.10's, SFC's (sub frame connectors) You lose the warranty here, due to emissions.

Phase III, or commonly referred as the ZL1. $95K 427 C5R (corvette race engine) 600hp, Z06 brakes/tires, 4.56 gears, roll bar, etc. Plus a bunch of signatures.

Paul Vincent

Established Member
380SS, Thanks for posting your encounter, but if you don't mind, would you please (if you haven't already) write GM/Chevy and let them in on the fun you had? Make sure to tell them that even Ford men want to see the ressurection of the Camaro (which is far more important than the Firebird IMHO) sooner rather than later. Thanks.

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
One more thing, I don't mind playing with Cobra's and or Roush's, but those stock GT guys need to stop acting like they have something under the hood. Just the other day I was driving on post (military) going one way while the GT guy was heading towards me. As we pass each other he decides to race his engine. I just smiled.

:rolleyes:

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
380SS, Thanks for posting your encounter, but if you don't mind, would you please (if you haven't already) write GM/Chevy and let them in on the fun you had? Make sure to tell them that even Ford men want to see the ressurection of the Camaro (which is far more important than the Firebird IMHO) sooner rather than later. Thanks.

There are many people that feel that way. I do believe the Camaro will be back. It's just on an extended vacation. Only question remains is what it will look like and what platform it will follow. The Camaro needed this break. In my opinion, we didn't have the fit and finish our competition had. There's more than one reason Chevrolet ended the Camaro's run. And when it does come back, you can bet it will have the Ford Mustang back in its sights.

joegt38

Established Member
myfault
I thought the Roush stage 1 is only a GT w/ intake and side xhaust w/ a body kit. The stage 3 are the supercharged ones.

Ryan00TJ

Established Member
380SS, Awesome looking SS! What are the actual power mods done to the Phase I GMMG cars? I know they have a lid @ GMMG catback but is there anything else?

myfault

Banned
Originally posted by joegt38
myfault
I thought the Roush stage 1 is only a GT w/ intake and side xhaust w/ a body kit. The stage 3 are the supercharged ones.

i was just messin man :thumbsup:
the stage 1 is the 6 cylinder with the side exhaust and body kit.
stage 2 the v8 with side exhaust, body kit, and rated at a few more ponies. intake/exhaust maybe?:shrug:

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by Ryan00TJ
380SS, Awesome looking SS! What are the actual power mods done to the Phase I GMMG cars? I know they have a lid @ GMMG catback but is there anything else?

Thanks for the comments by all. GMMG did the following.

LS6 intake, underdrive pulley's, MAF, ported exhaust, high flow lid, made the hurst shifter though shorter, and added the 3.73 gears. Aside from the awesome chambered exhaust, that's about it for the engine and drive. One of the cool things I can do is op for the phase II. For $5k I'll get 4.10s, head and cam package, some SFC's and up the crank HP to 500. But I lose the warranty and may not pass emissions. In CO, that could be a problem.

Chevrolet built about 130 of these phase cars. Only two of them were painted in my color. The other is a ZL1. So out of 42K produced, this might be a deal down the road. Think Yenko Camaro's. ;-)

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
myfault

This one had the cobra "looking" hood so it was either a Stage II, or III. Not sure.

I'm a big fan of the Roush Mustangs, and Cobra's.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
When I had my 98 Cobra with exhaust and intake, I would always get slaughtered by WS6's and SS's... It was horrible... When I got my 3.73's it was almost neck and neck, but I will say a typical flowmaster sporting GT doesn't really have a chance against the ls1's.... That's actually why instead of dumping $$$ into my 98 I got a new one. Glad I did. I hated getting beat. I will say those SS's and WS6's sure run strong.

380SS

Established Member
Originally posted by Camaroguy22
Awsome SS, how much money did that set you back?

To some this will seem excessive; to a collector and muscle car enthusiast it was cheap.

I paid, out the door, $40K. No incentives, no rebates, no tire kicking. This car was priced to eliminate any negotiations. I had no options. It was the last car left (left over from 02, I bought in 03). I did manage to squeeze free shipping from PA to CO, so I guess you could say I got a deal there.

The carrier that delivered my car had Dale Jr's #8, and a couple old vettes and a GTX to be delivered to Australia. You could say my car had good company on its way to CO from PA.

The phase II's were going for around $55k and the ZL1's went for $95K. Right now I see the phase II's selling for $75K. Not aware of any ZL1's selling yet.

Just last week I saw a Tom Henry phase I selling on ebay for exactly $40K, so he's not looking for a profit nor will he lose $$.

Users who are viewing this thread