zo6 vs. ss w/nitrous & pullied cobra

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Nuke61 said:
His consistency makes him... consistent. It doesn't mean he's fast. It doesn't mean he's slow, it just means he's consistent.

Look at it this way:
Forget E.T. -- these were roll-on runs.
Fastest stock Z06s runs have been very low 118 mph
Fastest 2.8 pulley, other bolt-ons, tuned '03 Cobras run 123 mph.
That's a 5 mph difference.

A 5 mph difference in the 1/4 mile generally exists between:
Base C5 and Z06
Mach I and Cobra (could be a bit more)

I still say good runs, but I don't think it's a typical outcome of a stock Z06 vs. a 2.8 pullied plus goodies '03/04 Cobra.

And, for the third time on this post, I will say to all you Cobra owners, GO GET A CLUE!!! His Eaton was heatsoaked!!! Try and run a pullied CObra 5 times in a row with the same result...will not happen. It will drop off in ET as well as trap speed. This is why the Z hung so well...you guys crack me up by not even thinking about your superchargers heating up...Broke traps 99 in the 1/8th, I trap 93...we raced and he won by less than a car...now why do you suppose that is? BECAUSE IS SUPERCHARGER WAS HEATSOAKED!!!! Do the math, if he is trapping 6 MPH better in the eighth, why did I hang so well...you guys are too funny!!!

Cobrastruk04

WDW MKR said:
2-3mph is a huge difference at the track, and on the street. That's more than enough to decide the outcome of a race. Trapping 118 in a 2.8-pullied Cobra is 4-5 mph slower than the fastest pullied times, and a couple mph slower than a good pullied time. It doesn't make the Cobra a dog of a car.. it just shows there is something being left on the table in the tune or driving.

I agree with 2-3 MPH making a big difference and yes im not happy with my 12.2 @ 117 it should have been 12.0 or even 11.9 @ 119 or so but yes driver tune AND weather make up the run
My launch could have been better 1.96 60ft
Weather was shit im looking at the slip and it says that it was 97 out at the time i raced
Track was not preped before races
and also i had just drove 80+ miles to the track because that is the closest one to my house (heatsoaked)

Im not trying to make excuses or have another war but just it wasnt my day at the track when i went and ill get another chance to change my best slip this febuary

was a good run Steve but lets just end this war now :beer:

joegt38

Established Member
Lol, this is some funny sh!t.

My buddys basic pullied Cobra ran a 11.8 @ 118mph. Another friend just got rid of an 01 Z06, Bone Stock it ran 12.4 @ 114mph (he is one of the best driver I know). the time for the 01z was the best I ever seen for an 01z myself. 4 MPH in a trap is a big differece from a roll.

BTW nice run.

WDW MKR

Established Member
BayareaCob04 said:
I agree with 2-3 MPH making a big difference and yes im not happy with my 12.2 @ 117 it should have been 12.0 or even 11.9 @ 119 or so but yes driver tune AND weather make up the run
My launch could have been better 1.96 60ft
Weather was shit im looking at the slip and it says that it was 97 out at the time i raced
Track was not preped before races
and also i had just drove 80+ miles to the track because that is the closest one to my house (heatsoaked)

Im not trying to make excuses or have another war but just it wasnt my day at the track when i went and ill get another chance to change my best slip this febuary

was a good run Steve but lets just end this war now :beer:

Sounds good. I was in no way trying to belittle your car. Weather definitely makes a huge difference. It takes good weather and a lot of practice to get these cars down the track. :beer:

Y2K Roadster said:
And, for the third time on this post, I will say to all you Cobra owners, GO GET A CLUE!!! His Eaton was heatsoaked!!! Try and run a pullied CObra 5 times in a row with the same result...will not happen. It will drop off in ET as well as trap speed. This is why the Z hung so well...you guys crack me up by not even thinking about your superchargers heating up...Broke traps 99 in the 1/8th, I trap 93...we raced and he won by less than a car...now why do you suppose that is? BECAUSE IS SUPERCHARGER WAS HEATSOAKED!!!! Do the math, if he is trapping 6 MPH better in the eighth, why did I hang so well...you guys are too funny!!!

The latter argument was about the capability of a pullied-Cobra... not the outcome of this race. Not exactly sure why it became an argument. Either way, I certainly agree with your heatsoak remark. That's why a larger HE and coolant reservoir will be going on my car this spring!

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Well thank you WDWMKR!! At least someone is realizing why Cobra's don't always pull on cars like they should. That day I raced broke7(I guess that is his name on here) He had just got through racing a 600RWHP/650RWTQ supercharged Viper and hung with him almost to 100MPH!! He would have crushed my Vette if I had been his first race! This whole arguement is funny because you know as well as I do that that pullied Coba probably went WOT following the first race between the ZO6 and the other car...not to mention the drive to wherever they were going...all that adds up to a heatsoaked Cobra!! Enough said!

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
BTW, do they have a water injection kit for your cars yet...I haven't heard anything so I would assume no. But that is what you guys need bigtime!!!

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
I'm right your wrong..

I like how the people that were actually at the race were wrong..

funny shit..

I just want to add that look at where the best times for each car are ran at. I'm willing to bet 95% are somewhere in texas.. (houston raceway) and NJ (englishtown). Location is a huge huge factor. Everyone is throwing numbers. But state by state the max and the norm WILL be different.

Equal drivers, Equal everything yes 2.8 pullied bolt on cobra will put 4 or more cars on a exhaust 01 Z06...

BUT.. does equality ever happen.. NO.. not even close..

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
Y2K Roadster said:
BTW, do they have a water injection kit for your cars yet...I haven't heard anything so I would assume no. But that is what you guys need bigtime!!!

Water/alky injection is currently available, but several people are waiting for a plate system to inject after the blower. There have been issues with alky deteriorating the teflon coating on the blower rotors. Injecting only water may alleviate the corrosion issue, but would see diminished performance after being compressed. It has shown good results for those who have injected pre-blower, but I'd rather spray downstream. I'm not sure how hot the water would get when compressed in the blower, but there may be concern of flashing. I ran alky with great success on my GN, so I certainly hope to do the same with the Cobra.

Sorry about the off topic...

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
BayouVette said:
Equal drivers, Equal everything yes 2.8 pullied bolt on cobra will put 4 or more cars on a exhaust 01 Z06...

And that's exactly what the "naysayers" have been saying; that it's not typical for stock Z06 vs pullied Cobra, he *should* have put more cars on you, Cobra was heatsoaked, etc.

Yes, I think we're all aware that anything can and does happen on the street. But someone in a stock Z06 should not *expect* to be able to hang within a car or two of a 2.8 pullied Cobra just because s98mustang did.

To put it another way, if someone came on this board and asked:

"I've got a stock '01 Z06 and I'm going to run a 2.8 pullied, other bolt-ons, tuned '03 Cobra. How do you think I'm going to do?"

Would the answer be you lose? By how much? 1 car, 2 cars, 3 cars, 4 cars?

Last edited:

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Nuke61 said:
And that's exactly what the "naysayers" have been saying; that it's not typical for stock Z06 vs pullied Cobra, he *should* have put more cars on you, Cobra was heatsoaked, etc.

Yes, I think we're all aware that anything can and does happen on the street. But someone in a stock Z06 should not *expect* to be able to hang within a car or two of a 2.8 pullied Cobra just because s98mustang did.

To put it another way, if someone came on this board and asked:

"I've got a stock '01 Z06 and I'm going to run a 2.8 pullied, other bolt-ons, tuned '03 Cobra. How do you think I'm going to do?"

Would the answer be you lose? By how much? 1 car, 2 cars, 3 cars, 4 cars?

My answer would be, "Ok, there is this place about 30 minutes outside of town where we can run...we will go from a dig so after the long drive there, make sure you do a good burnout so you can get a good launch." That ought to be enough to make the race even :D :pop:

s98mustang

Established Member
406 'velle said:
nice runs. what mods do you want to do next? post a pic of your car too :rockon:

Bayareacob04 just posted pics of the ss, cobra, and zo6 as long as a couple of our friends with imports in pics and vid buffet. His new kb came today also and there's pics of it as well.

ssmaro

Established Member
you all are ignorant ford owners. i have the ss in the race and i dont have a bottle heater thats why my dyno numbers were so low. you guys were not at the race so you have no say in the matter. my friend had told you guys the story because it was a good race. we didnt want a huge argument.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread