zo6 vs. ss w/nitrous & pullied cobra

s98mustang

Established Member
A few friends and i decided to go get a few runs in on the freeway tonight. We had a member on here bayareacob04 with his 04 cobra with cai,x pipe,catback,2.8 pulley w/delta tune, and is running nitto dr's. Another buddy of ours has an 01 ss with intake,exhaust,4:11 gears, and a 100 shot of nitrous also running dr's but bf goodrich. And then my 01 zo6 with just borla xr1 catback. There was also this chick we know with a ws6 but she didn't race just went along to watch. The ss put 363rwhp and 393rwt to the ground. Seems a bit low but he was trying to explain to me why but i forgot. And you all know what a pullied cobra can do.

Anyways the first race was between myself and the ss. Went from a 3rd gear roll at about 65-70mph. We both don't get very good traction with his bald drag radials and my stock tires especially on the cold roads(temp was in low 40's) so we decided to go from 3rd gear. He got the jump in 3rd gear by about 1/2 car then as i shifted into 4th i started to pull ahead by about 1 car or so and by the top of 4th i had about a little over a car before we let off. We went another time and it was almost the same race.

The next race was between me and the cobra. Went from a 3rd gear roll as well at about 70mph. The first race he jumped about 1 car in 3rd and by 4th had about a good 2 cars on me if not a little more and stayed that way till the end of 4th where we shut down. We raced one other time and started in 2nd but he missed his shift into 3rd then got it in 3rd but couldn't come back so just let off. All in all they were good runs and a lot of fun. Can't wait to get some more mods on my car so i can keep up with the cobra but that might take a bit of money because he just ordered a kb and is planning to run 19psi. WOW, i can't wait for a ride in that.

Last edited:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
in a 01 Z06 with borla, were able to beat a SS with those mods? A friend had a 01 Z06 that with off road X pipe, CAI and Corsa catback only ran a trap speed of about 109 in the 1/4... that SS SHOULD be running atleast a 115 trap speed, if not more..

you either have a factory freak for a 01 Z06 or it has more than a Borla..

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Either your story is pure BS, or that '01 Z06 has a lot more done to it that you're telling us (or that you know of) because there is NO WAY that what is essentially a stock Z06 is going to beat an LS1 SS with a 100 shot or closely hang with an '03/04 Cobra with a 2.8 pulley and tune.

As an alternative, both the cars you raced had some serious problems, because both should have 50 to 100+ horses more than yours, and thus, should walk to easily walk your Z.

roadracer247

Established Member
Cool races...and btw don't ever expect to post on this kill section without a bunch of people calling BS. It's just the way it is around here. Anyway if your going by the numbers then yea you should've lost but then again anything can happen on the street... :beer:

SS 346

Bringing You Reality
Nuke61 said:
Either your story is pure BS, or that '01 Z06 has a lot more done to it that you're telling us (or that you know of) because there is NO WAY that what is essentially a stock Z06 is going to beat an LS1 SS with a 100 shot or closely hang with an '03/04 Cobra with a 2.8 pulley and tune.

As an alternative, both the cars you raced had some serious problems, because both should have 50 to 100+ horses more than yours, and thus, should walk to easily walk your Z.

Lets see... average driver on SVT performance can only trap 117-118 with their all mighty pullied cobras.... That puts them about 1-2 mph above an 01 z06 with a good driver... therefore 1-2 car lengths ina race.

Accept the facts.

He also said the SS was only making 363.. which is about 50rwhp low for an SS with a 100 shot, but he also explained the guy said it had problems, and was telling him why it only made 363.

:thumbsup:

ScottsMach03

Established Member
I swear everytime i see a kill story someone has to call someone out on it. People just need to accept that anything can happen on the street. Some of you folks need to read his story again. Apparently some of ya cant read. He said "The ss put 363rwhp and 393rwt to the ground. Seems a bit low but he was trying to explain to me why but i forgot". A stock z06 puts around 350+ to the ground. Consider the fact the z06 is lighter, the outcome of the race seems pretty accurate to me. Btw good kill.

s98mustang

Established Member
Thanks to those who have no bashed my post and realize that the ss dyno'd at 363 to the wheels and that a 2.8 pullied cobra does only trap a few mph more than a stock zo6. And this was on the freeway as well where with the top end on my car i think it was about the right outcome.

JDsfastGN

Established Member
Nuke61 said:

01 Zs may be weaker than the 02s but they aren't down 50 hp or anything to huge. They are still very capable of 114-116 mph traps depending on driver and weather. the races seem right to me. Your friends 109 is a very weak Z no matter the year

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
S98Mustang, I had a bad 1st post and I apologize, they sound like good runs and you have a strong car. What I should have have said is that I think the results you saw are not typical.

I know there's not a big difference between an '01 and '02+ Z06, but 363 rwhp in an SS with a 100 shot isn't just "a bit low." I've done the essentially stock Z06 vs. bolt-on, pullied, tuned Cobra and in 4th and I just don't believe a 2 car gap by the end of 3rd "stayed that way till the end of 4th" unless there was something wrong with the Cobra.

BTW, if you think a 2.8 pullied, bolt-on/tuned Cobra is only 2 or 3 mph faster in the quarter than a stock Z06, well, you're just deluding yourself.

Last edited:

WDW MKR

Established Member
s98mustang said:
Thanks to those who have no bashed my post and realize that the ss dyno'd at 363 to the wheels and that a 2.8 pullied cobra does only trap a few mph more than a stock zo6. And this was on the freeway as well where with the top end on my car i think it was about the right outcome.

A 2.8-pullied Cobra runs mid-11s at 120+. Poor drivers or poor conditions put up lower numbers. Sounds like good races, though! :thumbsup:

SS 346

Bringing You Reality
Nuke61 said:
BTW, if you think a 2.8 pullied, bolt-on/tuned Cobra is only 2 or 3 mph faster in the quarter than a stock Z06, well, you're just deluding yourself.

Check the fastest stock z06 time.. and check the fastest pullied 03 cobra time.

I have no reason to argue with you.. but you need to get your head out of your ass.

More then half of the pullied 03 Cobras on this site trap below 119 in their 03 Cobra's. An average driver in a z06 can trap 115. Stock. A good driver can trap almost 118. Stock.. or stock motor with tire.

I am not seeing a huge difference in those traps.

Last edited:

s98mustang

Established Member
SS 346 said:
Check the fastest stock z06 time.. and check the fastest pullied 03 cobra time.

I have no reason to argue with you.. but you need to get your head out of your ass.

More then half of the pullied 03 Cobras on this site trap below 119 in their 03 Cobra's. An average driver in a z06 can trap 115. Stock. A good driver can trap almost 118. Stock.. or stock motor with tire.

I am not seeing a huge difference in those traps.

Thank you ss346 for knowning the facts. And my friends cobra has a best trap speed of 117. Which is right around what a zo6 will trap depending on driver and conditions. I know from most cases they trap around 114-117.

SS 346

Bringing You Reality
s98mustang said:
Thank you ss346 for knowning the facts. And my friends cobra has a best trap speed of 117. Which is right around what a zo6 will trap depending on driver and conditions. I know from most cases they trap around 114-117.

117 is weak for 450 rwhp isn't it :sleeping:

Y2K Roadster

Established Member
Man, all these Cobra owners and you still don't get it...remember, the Eaton, or more properly known as the "Heaton" was probably heatsoaked. If that Cobra ran with the Z and the SS to keep up and watch the race, then it was heatsoaked and was not putting the power down that it should when it came time for him and the ZO6 to go at it. I raced a friend of mine(his name is Broke7 on here) and he had me by less than a car at 120 or so...we did about a 25MPH roll on in first...now, I put about 400 to the ground and he puts close to 510(can't remember exactly) but he had just raced a Viper and did a huge burnout before that race. So, he was heatsoaked so it made the race closer between me and him. Had that Z and Cobra raced when the Cobra was cool, he might have pulled a little more in fourth. Broke would have had me by at least 4 cars in our race if he had not been heatsoaked!!!

niphilli

Established Member
Nuke61 said:
S98Mustang, I had a bad 1st post and I apologize, they sound like good runs and you have a strong car. What I should have have said is that I think the results you saw are not typical.

I know there's not a big difference between an '01 and '02+ Z06, but 363 rwhp in an SS with a 100 shot isn't just "a bit low." I've done the essentially stock Z06 vs. bolt-on, pullied, tuned Cobra and in 4th and I just don't believe a 2 car gap by the end of 3rd "stayed that way till the end of 4th" unless there was something wrong with the Cobra.

I am not sure where all of this is coming from. A piss poor driver in a Z will trap around 112, I have seen a BONE STOCK Z go 119.8mph in very good weather. I think pullied cobras trap between 116-122 depending on weather.

A 2.8-pullied Cobra runs mid-11s at 120+. Poor drivers or poor conditions put up lower numbers. Sounds like good races, though!

This is dead on. My buddy (the best driver I know) piloted his pullied cobra to an 11.3@120 in poor weather.

I love getting in on :bs: threads :banana:

Sorry to add to the flame war...Runs sounded about what I would expect...except that something is up with that SS on spray....They are wicked fast on spray. Set up correctly internally stock they can trap 120+.

WDW MKR

Established Member
niphilli said:
I am not sure where all of this is coming from. A piss poor driver in a Z will trap around 112, I have seen a BONE STOCK Z go 119.8mph in very good weather. I think pullied cobras trap between 116-122 depending on weather.

That is absolutely the fastest stock Z06 I have ever heard of. Either those clocks were off, or you race in a mineshaft. Not saying you didn't see it... it's just that kind of MPH from a Z06 would lead me to believe a 2.8-pullied Cobra would run close to 124-125 in that kind of air!! :eek: As far as piss poor drivers, I have seen Z06s trapping 106... pretty sad, eh? A good driver in a stone stock Z06 ('02+) tickle high-11s/low-12s at 116-118. A good driver in a pullied Cobra will run mid-11s at 120-122. There are exceptions to every case, but a 2.8-pullied Cobra should walk a stock Z06.

Your buddy running 11.3@120 in poor weather is amazing. What all does he have?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread