Your Inputs are Needed.. Bone stock '03 Cobra.. getting ready to mod

CChaney

Established Member
Alright, Whats goin on guys? I just traded in my '02 GT w/ 110k miles.. lightly mod'd.. and i bought an '03 Cobra completely stock with 14k miles. i dont want the car to be radical. i figured mildly mod'd. im in the Navy.. stationed in Norfolk, Virginia and i drive home to Gettysburg, Pa a good bit to see family and fiance. so here is what i have in mind....

BBK Off-road X-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder Catback Exhaust
JLT Performance Carbon Fiber Cold Air Intake
Accufab Single Blade Throttlebody
Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
Steeda Tri-ax T-56 Short Shifter
275MM Rear Tires NT555 Preferably..

But after that i dont really know where to go from here..
I know i want roughly 500 RWHP.
I will get a smaller pulley but i dont want to run too much boost due to heat from the Eaton.. any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Coy

KILRSVT

Established Member
congrats on your purchase man. nothing like a nice low mileage cobra. i would ditch the flowmaster and get something like borla, bassani, or magnaflow it will give it a deeper tone and it would plane just sound better. a pulley and a dual pass heat exchanger will put you close to that 500hp i know your dilema with heat a dual pass will greatly help along with cylider head cooling mod. cant go wrong with the accufab single blade.
2.8 pulley, accufab tb ,dual pass heat exchanger, o/r x pipe and a catback plus a good tune. should get you around 450 to the wheels.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Can you use a Steeda STB with the JLT intake? My experience with the Mach was that the JLT made it impossible to use a STB without some fab work, then again there was alot more intake piping with the Mach.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Get Bassani Exhaust, sounds better than Flowmaster in my opinion. Throw a pulley in there and get a damn good tune and you will have a great car.

TEX-STANG

Established Member
I would go in this order.........
Off road Bassani X-pipe
Borla cat back(or Mac over Flow Master trust me)
Cold air intake
upper pulley(2.8)
Chip/tune
Heat exchanger
Thermostat
throttle body
lowering springs
IRS brace
MGW short throw
upgrade clutch,throw out bearing(might as well your in there already)26 spline input shaft,upgrade TOB retainer sleeve,clutch cable
tires
you will be pushing 460+rwhp with those mods!

Bullitt520

Established Member
^+1 Ported blower and lower pullies will put you well over your 500 whp goal.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Alright, Whats goin on guys? I just traded in my '02 GT w/ 110k miles.. lightly mod'd.. and i bought an '03 Cobra completely stock with 14k miles. i dont want the car to be radical. i figured mildly mod'd. im in the Navy.. stationed in Norfolk, Virginia and i drive home to Gettysburg, Pa a good bit to see family and fiance. so here is what i have in mind....

BBK Off-road X-pipe
Steeda Strut Tower Brace

I will get a smaller pulley but i dont want to run too much boost due to heat from the Eaton.. any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Coy

MOVED:wf::wf::wf: SILLY NEWBS:rollseyes

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I'd keep the mid pipe catted. Mine is and I have Flows and it's still too loud.

Go with an MGW and Cobrabob's shifter gaskets. Best combo ever.

Skip the strut tower brace and lowering springs and put that towards a ported blower and some pulleys.

I'd cut your stock springs, mine are and it rides beautiful.

You'll need to port it out and get exhaust to see 500RWHP.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would go in this order.........
Off road Bassani X-pipe
Borla cat back(or Mac over Flow Master trust me)
Cold air intake
upper pulley(2.8)
Chip/tune
Heat exchanger
Thermostat
throttle body
lowering springs
IRS brace
MGW short throw
upgrade clutch,throw out bearing(might as well your in there already)26 spline input shaft,upgrade TOB retainer sleeve,clutch cable
tires
you will be pushing 460+rwhp with those mods!

Good list of mods. The only comment I would make is consider the MRT H-pipe instead of an X-pipe. The two sound different. If you like a more exotic sound go with an X-pipe. If you like that classic Mustang muscle sound then the MRT H-pipe would be your better choice.

If you aren't wanting to port your blower and you'd be happy with 450-455rwhp then go with a 2.90 upper (less heat). With this pulley I made 457rwhp and 480rwtq (SAE). If you port the blower it will be more efficient and a 2.80/2.76 could be easily used with you easily reaching that '500' mark. Just bear in mind that if you shoot for more than 475rwhp you're going to be getting into fuel system upgrades, which add to the cost.

Alb Cobra

Established Member
Let the Real fun begin! Takes a little getting used to with an offroad X-Pipe really raspy and crackly at decceleration but loud as hell. Used to have a Bassani offroad X and exhaust on my 01 GT and it was loud.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Subframe connectors and IRS brace should be close to the first mod's. No leaky rearend and your sufbrame tied together which will make the car feel better are good things.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Oh and do not I repeat do not get the BBK offroad x-pipe. I did and it was terrible.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member

BBK Off-road X-pipe
Steeda Strut Tower Brace

-Coy

First off congrats on the purchase! Now to your list of mods. I'd go with a UPR X pipe as opposed to the BBK or Bassani. The BBK and Bassani are both chambered X pipes and will be very raspy, the UPR is a true X pipe so it will sound much cleaner and smoother. It's also much cheaper than most other midpipes. I agree with the JLT intake, but I'd go with the RAI over the CAI. Cut your stock springs instead of the Eibachs, the stock Cobra springs are linear rate so the spring rate won't be affected on cutting them. For rear tires go with the 315 Nitto 555r's instead of the 275's. Nitto's run thinner so the 275's will look awkward on the rear. Go with an MGW shifter over the Tri-ax, it's a much smoother shifter than the Tri-ax or Pro 5.0. Don't worry about spinning the Eaton hard, its a very resilient blower that can handle a lot. You're going to need to spin it decently hard and have the blower ported to get to your 500rwhp goal. I'd go with a 2.65 RR upper and port from Posi, that should get you about 14lbs of boost and 500-520rwhp.

Cobrakai04

Established Member
BBK is garbage.

Mac or bassani would sound alot better. Also is a better quality as well.

Last edited:

DSG2NV03

MUST HAVE BOOST!!!
Established Member
I love the sound of my Flowmasters, however, they put a connection under the gas tnk where you can see it. Retards.

Tmac01baller

Established Member
Hey man congrats on the new purchase. I too just sold my '00 GT and bought a Sonic Blue 03 this past November. Mine was bone stock and had 29,000 miles. So far I have done a Bassani catted x-pipe with a Borla exhaust, an MGW shifter with cobrabob's gasket, 18" chrome fr500's and Nitto 555's for the front and Nitto drag radials in the back. I stay on campus at Old Dominion University so if you wanna come drive my car to feel and hear the difference with my mods just let me know. My number is 757-214-4579

There are some very knowledgeable people with cobras in this area. If I were you I would make good friends with TORQJNKY and WydOpen as they have offered me lots of good advice and are very nice laid back people.

Users who are viewing this thread