Younger brother got pulled over

jbs$

Established Member
Remember, mixed in with all of this issue is the fact that most cities and towns are broke. Therefore, many law enforcement agencies are, essentially self funded through fines or seizures. Don't think for a minute that your $30,000 - $100,000 car would not help out the Department Christmas and retirement fund. Never open yourself up to a search. If the cop gives you the "nothing to hide" speech, just continue to say "no and I am going to keep it that way".

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Basically if you have nothing to hide then whats the issue? If your car smells like weed then obviously youre not a law obeying citizen but Im not the type that will push it. If you say no and I have no PC to search and cant get a dog there....then youre on your way.

Here's my issue and why no cop will ever search my car again.

My little brother and I took a cross country road trip. Rented a little 2012 Focus. nothing special. I got pulled over for doing 71 in a 65. Cop came up and I did the whole "yes sir, no sir" keys on dash, had all my info ready for him. No smell in my car other than typical rental car smell.

He then asks to search the car, I figure " you know what? I have ZERO to hide"

He decides this is the perfect opportunity to take out every paper from my glove box, my center console, he then opens the trunk, opens my suit case and my little brothers suit case. Puts our clothes on the side of the road, opens a bag that has my ps3 and all that in it and puts it on the side of the road.

After all that he says " I guess you had nothing to hide. You can put this all back now"

NEVER again will a cop search my car.

DevilDog81

Can't fix stupid!!!
Established Member
I will never understand Officers who search cars with no probable cause. I don't ask for favors and I don't need them. If I smell weed, everyone gets handcuffed and the car gets searched. Last thing I want to do is searching a car for no reason and waste my tax paying citizen's money.

:fart:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Never give consent for a cop to do anything.

IGNORANT REMARK. I was wayyyyyy the other side of the law when I was younger.

But still respected the law and cooperated everytime. I was let go more times than I can count. Even when the officer was having a BAD day. And it wasn't just traffic related.
I've even had officers apologize for the way they came off at first. But my old ways are still on my record and I understood.

SHOW RESPECT = GET RESPECT

Act like an ass = get treated like an ass.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. They put their life on the line every ****ing day. Plus I don't have the attitude to put up with assholes all the time.

OK,rant over.:beer:

Last edited:

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member

But still respected the law and cooperated everytime. I was let go more times than I can count. Even when the officer was having a BAD day. And it wasn't just traffic related.
I've even had officers apologize for the way they came off at first. But my old ways are still on my record and I understood.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. They put their life on the line every ****ing day. Plus I don't have the attitude to put up with assholes all the time.

It's just too much like common sense, and not many people these days have that.

I will agree that the story is kind of fishy. Fishy as in I think there are parts that are left out, but I wasn't there, so I won't comment any further.

motoman991

Banned

Letting a cop search your car for no reason is respecting the law and being cooperative? Will I come out ahead for just bending over and letting a cop rifle through my belongings? I sure won't, I can only be as I was before the cop initiated the stop. I can get charged for something. I guess everyone should just let cops do what they want. Then you can say all of us "respected the law and cooperated."

silver03svt

Established Member
Letting a cop search your car for no reason is respecting the law and being cooperative? Will I come out ahead for just bending over and letting a cop rifle through my belongings? I sure won't, I can only be as I was before the cop initiated the stop. I can get charged for something. I guess everyone should just let cops do what they want. Then you can say all of us "respected the law and cooperated."

I think what is being said is that IF an LEO is searching your vehicle WITHOUT PROBABLE CAUSE OR CONSENT, that the roadside IS NOT the place to argue with the LEO about it. Department's ALL have policies and procedures in place, and there is also law to back up the person having their rights violated. A roadside argument with the LEO will only make things worse for you and make the LEO more credible in the furtherance of the issue.

If you have nothing illegal in your vehicle and the officer finds nothing illegal in your vehicle, then he/she is going to have a pretty hard time articulating why he/she felt probable cause was present. If you DO have something to hide, then the officer can always find someway to say PC existed.

Nobody is condoning an LEO performing an unlawful search/seizure. What we, as LEO's are saying, is to take care of the issue the legal way. File a complaint and/or file a suit against the LEO and his/her agency.

Last edited:

Blackness03

Established Member
Here's my issue and why no cop will ever search my car again.

My little brother and I took a cross country road trip. Rented a little 2012 Focus. nothing special. I got pulled over for doing 71 in a 65. Cop came up and I did the whole "yes sir, no sir" keys on dash, had all my info ready for him. No smell in my car other than typical rental car smell.

He then asks to search the car, I figure " you know what? I have ZERO to hide"

He decides this is the perfect opportunity to take out every paper from my glove box, my center console, he then opens the trunk, opens my suit case and my little brothers suit case. Puts our clothes on the side of the road, opens a bag that has my ps3 and all that in it and puts it on the side of the road.

After all that he says " I guess you had nothing to hide. You can put this all back now"

NEVER again will a cop search my car.

this

jbs$

Established Member
Before leaving this thread for good, I recommend that you go to "Reason.com", then do a search under Tenaha, Texas. There are a number of stories here of Cops, Drug Agents and Prosecutors who banded together to rob motorist and seize their property.

musclefan21

Established Member
Before leaving this thread for good, I recommend that you go to "Reason.com", then do a search under Tenaha, Texas. There are a number of stories here of Cops, Drug Agents and Prosecutors who banded together to rob motorist and seize their property.

Just don't call the cops when your ass is in trouble so they don't come and rob you. Because thats what cops do. Rob people.

Gtfo

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'm positive my brother had nothing on him, in his car, or in his system and never has.
I can understand how the smell of an air freshener could be used to cover up certain smells. But I imagine it could also be used by people who keep their car orderly. It seems like such a halfass excuse to use to get to search an illinformed youngster just to hope to get lucky and find something.

As far as not having anything to hide, I wouldn't want somebody going through my car. Whether it was my cobra or my daily beater. Not even for the fact that it could get damaged or disorganized. But for the simple reason that its not a good feeling having some stranger dig through your personal preperty.

This is what people don't seem to understand. It's not that we are trying to be dicks or disrespectful, but it is our right to not consent to unreasonable searches. Why have a right if you aren't going to exercise it?

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.

Read my post above, you're missing the point to why people dont consent to things. It's not to be an ass but what has the world come when we give up our basic rights just so we dont look like assholes? Im not worried about what a cop thinks of me. I show respect where it is due but if someone says something so ludicrous like "your car smells like air fresheners so I need to search your car." I lose respect for them because I know what they are doing.

silver03svt

Established Member
This is what people don't seem to understand. It's not that we are trying to be dicks or disrespectful, but it is our right to not consent to unreasonable searches. Why have a right if you aren't going to exercise it?

Read my post above, you're missing the point to why people dont consent to things. It's not to be an ass but what has the world come when we give up our basic rights just so we dont look like assholes? Im not worried about what a cop thinks of me. I show respect where it is due but if someone says something so ludicrous like "your car smells like air fresheners so I need to search your car." I lose respect for them because I know what they are doing.

These are both good points. Most officer's will ask for consent if there is no Probable Cause for a search. I have no issues with people denying consent as it is their right. I think in the OP's case though, PC was NOT present, and the LEO did NOT ask for consent. He just conducted a search. This is definately wrong to have been done, but again, there are 3 sides to every story, and none of us were there.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator

Whoa! If you knew me and knew what I look like, you'd realize I don't care what anybody thinks about me. (except some fine MILFs;-)

But if you're not hiding anything why cause a hassle? You have to remember what kind of crap the cops have to put up with on a daily basis.

Yes, there are bad cops. But come on, there are bad in EVERY profession.

I've met a couple bad cops over the years. But 99% were decent and just doing their job.

As far as losing rights, years ago bikwes tried to tell joe citizen about losing rights when we had to start wearing helmets..
NOBODY listened. Look at us now. But that's NOT the cops fault.

Plus if you act like an ass you better believe the officer is going to remember you.:uh oh:

musclefan21

Established Member
I wish these people who complain about how horrible life is here with the way cops treat them lived in other countries. They would be wishing, begging to deal with a u.s. cop then... Cops in most other countries, this includes europe does not give a damn about your rights, etc. they will take care of business and you won't be able to do anything about it. I know because I have seen the both sides.

Cops in the US are the nicest / most straight forward / humane cops I have ever seen / dealt with. Now since you have never seen the other side, you won't get anything I just said and that's fine.

All I can say is, be thankful for what you have and what you have is not bad in any shape of form.

The way I look at it, citizens are constantly in a dick measuring contest with the Police. Then blame cops for being in a power trip. Keep at it. Soon liberals will take all the power from the Police and the Police will lose control of the streets. Then you will be begging for Police to start kicking ass again to regain control. If you are a good guy, you have nothing to worry about. And Police will treat you well for it. If you are a bad guy, well.. don't blame the cops for taking you down for your own BS.

^^all my personal opinion.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Whoa! If you knew me and knew what I look like, you'd realize I don't care what anybody thinks about me. (except some fine MILFs;-)

But if you're not hiding anything why cause a hassle? You have to remember what kind of crap the cops have to put up with on a daily basis.

Yes, there are bad cops. But come on, there are bad in EVERY profession.

I've met a couple bad cops over the years. But 99% were decent and just doing their job.

As far as losing rights, years ago bikwes tried to tell joe citizen about losing rights when we had to start wearing helmets..
NOBODY listened. Look at us now. But that's NOT the cops fault.

Plus if you act like an ass you better believe the officer is going to remember you.:uh oh:

I understand cops have to put up with a lot of stuff we citizens dont but they knew that when taking the job. While I commend what they do, their badge isnt an all access pass to do what they want but some feel it is.

There are bad apples in every bunch but if I know I am not doing anything wrong I am going to invoke my rights as pleasantly as possible and the officer should respect that.

People think we are just trying to make their jobs harder but it's truly not that case.

blackvette101

Established Member
The way I look at it, citizens are constantly in a dick measuring contest with the Police. Then blame cops for being in a power trip. Keep at it. Soon liberals will take all the power from the Police and the Police will lose control of the streets. Then you will be begging for Police to start kicking ass again to regain control.

I don't know about you but I don't rely on anyone else to protect me. 99% of the time the police are there to clean up the mess/investigate after the crime occurs. crime could go through the roof the only people that are really going to suffer is the anti-gun democrats. All government should have as limited power as needed. Police with power or police with no power same difference to me and many others.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
I don't know about you but I don't rely on anyone else to protect me. 99% of the time the police are there to clean up the mess/investigate after the crime occurs. crime could go through the roof the only people that are really going to suffer is the anti-gun democrats. All government should have as limited power as needed. Police with power or police with no power same difference to me and many others.

You are looking at things as in one dimension. That's not how it is. There is lots of types of crimes out there. Lots of different kind of bad guys out there. Good luck having a quality of life without the police. And believe it or not police, in many cases indirectly have protrcted you or your loved ones by taking some dirtbag off the streets at one point.

Open your mind and look at things at a wide perspective you will then see the importance if police.

Users who are viewing this thread