you guys are gonna hate the throttle by wire

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
One Drive by wire system that works perfectly is my brother's, Wife's 05 Nissan 350Z. They have that computer dialed in from the factory. And my Mom's SL55 AMG's DBW system kicks ass too. It just shows that it can be made to work really well from the factory, but that would cause someone to make more overtime than the beencounters will allow. :)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Also, My father in laws 2002 WS6 would just barely chirp the tires at a roll in second gear, but after the retune it will blow the rubber off of the wheels. Just showing the difference in what removing this shitty little feature will do. And it is shitty. I doubt it will make much of a difference in power on the dyno, but I am sure that at the track you will see a huge difference if the only thing that you did was remove the lag.

Whiskey City

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
My wifes 05 X-type Jag also has drive by wire, and it has almost killed me a few times. Like once I came to a stop at a yield sign due to traffic. There was a break big enough for me to get through, and when I gunned it I just barely moved forward at first, and by the time the TB cought up I was inches away from being T-boned. Plus, sometimes when you go WOT with it and let of it will continue to accelerate for about half of a second. That can get hairy too. The techs said that it was just the way it was.

-Jeff

My '05 FiveHundred does the exact same thing. I'm used to just giving tiny inputs to the throttle and stuff usually happens. Not with this car. You pratically have to mash the gas to get it to do ANYTHING. Driving around 35mph is a PITA. It will, however, run that DuraTec up to 6250rpm at WOT through the first four gears...you're only going 47mph but it's kind'a fun.

WhippleCharged Sonic said:
...snip...They may have done something a little different because it does seem to "spring" into third....basically just push up from second and it hits 3rd.
Hey, Postban. You need to look into this mod for your '03.:poke:

GTWill

Established Member
I didn't realise there was such a huge difference from car to car with the throttle by wire. I have a G35 and my wife has an Acura MDX both have an excellent feel.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
GTWill said:
I didn't realise there was such a huge difference from car to car with the throttle by wire. I have a G35 and my wife has an Acura MDX both have an excellent feel.

The G35 has the same setup and the 350Z, and yes they are excellent.

Dave07997S

Established Member
My M3 has 6 individual throttle bodies with the DBW system and the system is awesome. If the system is implemented properly it rocks.

Dave

Whiskey City

Established Member
GTWill said:

It's manufacturer-by-manufacturer. I also have an '05 Honda Odysse w/ TBW and it's fan-damn-tastic...for a 4k-lb+ minivan. The 5-hundie is The Suck!

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
DEARBORN, MI) - StangsUnleashed.com - Dearborn, we may have a problem. An engine problem with the 2007 Shelby GT500, to be specific. StangsUnleashed has learned that the un-thinkable could happen: the upcoming launch of the GT500 could be delayed or pushed back due to an alleged engine crankshaft problem.
Prototype 4.6L "Terminator" engine. Notice the crank support bracket and Roush timing cover.
Sources close to the 2007 Shelby GT500 program are alleging that the crankshafts in the 5.4L GT500 engines are fracturing or breaking at the snout (nose) where the engine damper rides. The sources are alleging that the GT500 crankshaft breakage can be attributed to two complimentary issues. According to our reliable sources, Ford designed a crankshaft damper specifically for the GT500, but the damper weighs in at a hefty 26 pounds.
Experimental 2007 Shelby GT500 engine.
The weight of the GT500's damper, combined with the stress of the SuperCharger pulling on the crankshaft may be placing too much stress on the crankshaft's snout, which is causing the failures. By comparison, the balancer on the SVT Lightning's 5.4L SuperCharged engine weighs less than 1/2 of the GT500s. The GT500's balancer is similar to the Ford GTs, however is totally different from the SVT Lightning. Unlike the GT500, the SVT Lightning uses a stand alone pulley bracket support system, which threads into the damper itself.
Should the GT500 crankshaft allegations prove to be true and the launch of the GT500 is delayed, it could have a potentially devastating affect, not only on the GT500, but it could throw off the timing of other SVT products like the 2008 GT500. Moreover, consumers' feathers are already ruffled over the GT500 due to a variety of issues. Even though order banks opened weeks ago, Ford has failed to provide exterior color examples. They have also failed to provide consumers with absolute horsepower/torque ratings, MSRP pricing and keep in good communication with their PowerLease customers.
Could a crankshaft issue/delay be the reason why Ford has not released any new information on the 2007 Shelby GT500? On 19 April, we asked Ford questions about this story, however, they never responded.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index...ticleid=94&s=&

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
OKC03Cobra said:
DEARBORN, MI) - StangsUnleashed.com - Dearborn, we may have a problem. An engine problem with the 2007 Shelby GT500, to be specific. StangsUnleashed has learned that the un-thinkable could happen: the upcoming launch of the GT500 could be delayed or pushed back due to an alleged engine crankshaft problem.
Prototype 4.6L "Terminator" engine. Notice the crank support bracket and Roush timing cover.
Sources close to the 2007 Shelby GT500 program are alleging that the crankshafts in the 5.4L GT500 engines are fracturing or breaking at the snout (nose) where the engine damper rides. The sources are alleging that the GT500 crankshaft breakage can be attributed to two complimentary issues. According to our reliable sources, Ford designed a crankshaft damper specifically for the GT500, but the damper weighs in at a hefty 26 pounds.
Experimental 2007 Shelby GT500 engine.
The weight of the GT500's damper, combined with the stress of the SuperCharger pulling on the crankshaft may be placing too much stress on the crankshaft's snout, which is causing the failures. By comparison, the balancer on the SVT Lightning's 5.4L SuperCharged engine weighs less than 1/2 of the GT500s. The GT500's balancer is similar to the Ford GTs, however is totally different from the SVT Lightning. Unlike the GT500, the SVT Lightning uses a stand alone pulley bracket support system, which threads into the damper itself.
Should the GT500 crankshaft allegations prove to be true and the launch of the GT500 is delayed, it could have a potentially devastating affect, not only on the GT500, but it could throw off the timing of other SVT products like the 2008 GT500. Moreover, consumers' feathers are already ruffled over the GT500 due to a variety of issues. Even though order banks opened weeks ago, Ford has failed to provide exterior color examples. They have also failed to provide consumers with absolute horsepower/torque ratings, MSRP pricing and keep in good communication with their PowerLease customers.
Could a crankshaft issue/delay be the reason why Ford has not released any new information on the 2007 Shelby GT500? On 19 April, we asked Ford questions about this story, however, they never responded.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index...ticleid=94&s=&

It was a square peg round hole sort of problem, and to my knowledge they found a "workaround".

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
If one hammer doesn't work, find a Bigger F#cking Hammer. :)

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
HISSMAN said:
...snip... Plus, sometimes when you go WOT with it and let of it will continue to accelerate for about half of a second. That can get hairy too.......
That happened to my brother in my dads 2003 E55 right before the car planted itself into a curb. drive by wire delays = :kaboom:

As for the Shelby...great info. I know you haven't driven a coupe yet, but for prospective buyers how would you rate the whole convertible stability thing? I get terrible cowl shake in my 04 vert and the car feels somewhat rubbery over rail road tracks...and that is with full hans subframe connectors and a light bar. This question is more directed towards Dave as I know he is a previous vert owner, like myself. I suppose what I am asking is; I love to take the top down and cruise with the wind in my hair, but I am not willing to give up all the stability and solidity that I feel when I drive friends 03-04 coupes. Does the vert feel solid?

Another thing...I notice you guys praise the seats as far as support and comfort...from the pics I've seen, the seats look "low rent"...do they look classy in person, or do they look like some cheap katzkin covers.

turbocake

Established Member
04SCRMINYLWVERT said:
Good question, I'm wondering this also. Some have said the Spanish Oak remembers every time the tune is changed. We will most likely have to wait and see. It would be smart on Ford’s part though if you think about it. They can void all the engine work on all the 05’ and up stangs easily. They make you get a tune just to put in a CAI, which is about everyone’s first mod. In the warranty they put if you get a tune it voids your engine warranty. No more warranty on engine work for Ford. :shrug:

this post is the perfect segue to my point, which is that throttle-by-wire is really another layer of control for Ford and hence, another tool to protect their financial interests.

best of luck to those at odds with this scenario.

:beer:

Fourcam330

Established Member
turbocake said:
this post is the perfect segue to my point, which is that throttle-by-wire is really another layer of control for Ford and hence, another tool to protect their financial interests.

best of luck to those at odds with this scenario.

:beer:

Whenever someone brings a 6.0 PSD in, Fords service depts. are instructed to check for an aftermarket chip/tune immediately. Even if it's not the culprit, they nix the warranty.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
I just don't see how Ford could allow something as simple as a TBW to hold their cars back. After reading what Jeff said about his wife's x-type I really wonder if they have gotten the technolgy down pat yet or if they are still working the kinks out. GM has had it on the vette since 97' and I have never noticed a problem with it nor have I heard much in the complaint department.

If what people are saying about Ford's TBW system is true then there needs to be something done. The computer doesn't need to be just closing the throttle at the first sign of wheel spin, most traction control systems do a little more then that. Sometimes you need to be able to pull out quickly and not have to worry about lag in the system and you shouldn't have to take off traction control to do it. Not to mention the fact that a delay under normal conditions is unacceptable to me no matter what the reason. They may be trying to protect their cars from being ragged but that is honestly not their job...it is up to the owner. Since when did sports cars have to come with training wheels that you can't take off?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread