you guys are gonna hate the throttle by wire

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I'm not trying to paint a biased picture, but they are definitely cracking down on things at Ford. It's really all dealer dependant, so if your local Ford store doesn't care, neither should you. Like I said before though, they're getting harder to find these days.

Fourcam,

Is it true that the new PCM remembers all changes made to the tune, even if you clear a custom tune to take it into the dealer it still has a history of it being tampered with?

Fourcam330

Established Member
GTSpartan said:
Fourcam,

Is it true that the new PCM remembers all changes made to the tune, even if you clear a custom tune to take it into the dealer it still has a history of it being tampered with?

Yes.

Fourcam330

Established Member
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
I see absolutely no reason why they would bust me. I posted no pics nor did I release any information that isn't known. They stated NO PICS when I took the car so I did not take any nor post any. They did not say that I could not say anything or who I could or could not take for a ride. I gave a review of how I felt the car drove and handled. The damn car is going to Job1 real soon for crying out loud. I could see if I was talking bad about it, but damn I have only praised the damn car because it is truly an awesome vehicle. Whatever the consequences I will deal with them I guess...nothing I can do now.

If Ford "security" has already seen this post then I hope they're still around to see this: :loser:
Leave him the **** alone. Are you really trying to piss off even more potential customers? :rolleyes:

Fourcam330

Established Member
chuckstang said:
Im confused though, why the switch to drive by wire since it blows so much?
There was no need to change the throttle set up on all the previous mustangs.
I just dont get it, dont fix something that aint broke.
When you say up to a second delay. That is the difference between a 99 cobra and gt500 from 0-60.
Who cares how much hp there is if you can not use every bit of it the very second you command it!

I'm not sure if the same delay is present in the GT500, those #s are for 3v 4.6/5.4s, though obviously there is room for improvement based on what whipple/postban have posted. Whatever the car runs stock/as is will still be faster than any other production Mustang, it will only be quicker/faster with a tune. The drive by wire throttle and torque sensing engine management were likely implemented to help cut down on warranty reimbursements. The upside is that the new processors allow for much more control over the motor than we had previously.

orangesvtbb

Established Member
Electronic Throttle sucks. I have it on my car and I can tell you no one is going to like it. We will see complaints everywhere. So everyone get ready for the B*tch Fest. Delays on your throttle are so stupid, especially on a sports car. P-P-Please if someone is reading this at Ford....CHANGE THE DELAY ...surely it's an easy fix.

Fourcam330

Established Member
You know there are aftermarket TBs that negate the delay without requiring a custom tune; for Mustang GTs anyway, I'm sure someone will do the same for the Shelby.

grandestang

Exponentially
Established Member
I believe the drive by wire was also implemented to help reduce interior noise coming in through the firewall where the throttle cable would be. Noise reduction has been a very important factor to Ford in their cars lately and they've been implementing anything they can to reduce it. Of course this could just be what they are "saying" adn the real reason is to reduce warranty reimbursements.

Paul

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Traction control response is better with the new system. The computer can just lift the throttle for torque control. The TC in the Terminators sucked! The system could only back off the timing so far before the bypass needed to be opened, and as soon as that happened the car became dangerously slow. The Terminators also had torque management that would back off timing when the clutch was pressed for a shift, I'm sure the new system backs off the throttle if you try to speed shift. The cruse control is also a simpler system since the computer has direct throttle control, no solenoid. Does the new system even have a throttle bypass valve for idle?

Last edited:

BWH2003

Established Member
I would guess that it wouldnt have a throttle bypass as it wouldnt be needed. The computer can control the throttle without the driver knowing it so it could adjust the throttle for the idle as necessary.

2007 stang

Banned
postban said:
It really lags accelerating and decelerating. I know a flash can fix it but it should be better stock.

Oh yeah, went for a nice test drive of a CP build car (identical to production but not emissions approved). Buddy of mine works at Flat Rock and brought one home last night. White vert, top material is the same bug/leaf/hair magnet on the terms.

My impressions;

Needs Tune; to get rid of the throttle by wire delay (accel and decel) and lean it up a bit

Exhaust; way to quiet, as expected, needs catback

Intake; maybe, maybe not, dyno time will tell. It is a big flat panel now.

Port the blower/tb/elbow; never seen the bottom/inside of the M122, hopefully some gains possible but doubtful due to you cant spin it harder.
Blower is painted black, polishing or powdercoating will snazz it up.

Lowering springs; at least 1.5" all around, severe 4x4 right now, get it down to 3 fingers gap. Watch my friend pull away last night and then brake hard, serious nose up then nose dive, springs will remedy. Car was a vert and sprung very soft, drove it on rough roads and far more comfortable than my car would have been.

Seats are miles better than term seats, wider, simpler, better.

Hood vents look good from underneath, so does hood blanket, no change suggested.

Very busy engine compartment, more "tanks" and reservoirs then ours. Accessories are all moved, PS pump is above, Alt is way down low. Upper pulley looks smaller than at the auto show, no improvements with pullies is my SWAG, appearance only on the Shelby. Longevity concern reduced because you will not be able to spin the blower harder than stock.

Fuel rails are huge, intended for twinscrew no doubt.

IC cap is very different, basically long cast item reaching out from manifold 8-10" towards front of 10 rib system. Easier access to unbolt it for blower swaps.

Comfortable, awesome looking, great handling, hop free stock with twinscrews already in the works (per a friend who works at FRPP)

flash
port
lower
intake
exhaust.........and stop

Honest opinion of the feel... 2.93 unported car will hold it even if stock. Full ported cpie term will walk it.
Once the Shelby is BPU, need 17psi twinscrew on the term.

No pics, no vids, I want my friend to keep his job.

great info

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I would wager that it will me much like the LS1 Camaros and trans-Am's (Of which is the school that I came from before buying a cobra) The torque management was a biatch, but a quick re tune to remove it, and the lag was gone. Now, my 05 F150 on the other hand has the throttle body closing down to almost 45% when I go WOT to prevent wheel spin. If the GT500 does the same thing, there will be a lot of unhappy people taking test drives.

-Jeff

WhippleCharged Sonic

Screwed, Blued & Tattooed
Established Member
It is not that bad at all. There is no way there is a 1 second lag like someone speculated. I would bet that most would not even notice it....All I said was that the car did not have the snap that mine did (from what I remember)..I am also used to my Whippled Cobra so my opinion will be biased. Once again, this car is BADASS and moves like you wouldn't believe. I think everyone will be thrilled when they drive it.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Fourcam330 said:
You know there are aftermarket TBs that negate the delay without requiring a custom tune; for Mustang GTs anyway, I'm sure someone will do the same for the Shelby.

Exactly :thumbsup:

___________-

Also for those who have been asking, there are no known work arounds for any tuning not being recognized my the PCM. The reason for this is that there is a stand alone chip that sees and records any changes made to the PCM. It monitors the tune calibrations, and can only be read. There is not a known ability to write new information onto this chip to over ride it's function. At least this is my understanding of it.

-Jeff

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
WhippleCharged Sonic said:
It is not that bad at all. There is no way there is a 1 second lag like someone speculated. I would bet that most would not even notice it....All I said was that the car did not have the snap that mine did (from what I remember)..I am also used to my Whippled Cobra so my opinion will be biased. Once again, this car is BADASS and moves like you wouldn't believe. I think everyone will be thrilled when they drive it.

About 1 second seems about right to me, at least it feels that way on the other Spanish Oak driven cars. But even with a delay, the car will still make serious power. It is like in my terminator when I just had a pulley. I would show off by doing burnouts from a stand still, and I only had to give it about half throttle. The throttle opens, but it is about a .7-.8 second delay or even more if the traction control intercedes before the TB is opened to 100%. It is just slower to open, but it is opening. I have data logged my F150's SO computer, and that is what I found the computer to do with it.

Tmac

Established Member
I complained about the throttle lag in my sigh... 06 Civic, and the tech there said drive by wire was a safety feature. Dont remember the specifics but it sure takes away the smoothness of drivng a stick. Add to the DBW the serious lag of having a sewing machine under the hood and you have one of the least enjoyable cars to drive.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
My wifes 05 X-type Jag also has drive by wire, and it has almost killed me a few times. Like once I came to a stop at a yield sign due to traffic. There was a break big enough for me to get through, and when I gunned it I just barely moved forward at first, and by the time the TB cought up I was inches away from being T-boned. Plus, sometimes when you go WOT with it and let of it will continue to accelerate for about half of a second. That can get hairy too. The techs said that it was just the way it was.

-Jeff

Fourcam330

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
My wifes 05 X-type Jag also has drive by wire, and it has almost killed me a few times. Like once I came to a stop at a yield sign due to traffic. There was a break big enough for me to get through, and when I gunned it I just barely moved forward at first, and by the time the TB cought up I was inches away from being T-boned. Plus, sometimes when you go WOT with it and let of it will continue to accelerate for about half of a second. That can get hairy too. The techs said that it was just the way it was.

-Jeff

Agreed. It took some time for me to get used to my '04 F150 for the same reasons. IMO aside from being really annoying, it's a safety hazard.

Users who are viewing this thread