you guys are gonna hate the throttle by wire

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Whitten said:
Since when did sports cars have to come with training wheels that you can't take off?

LOL. Quote of the day.

-Jeff

GTWill

Established Member
Whitten said:
I just don't see how Ford could allow something as simple as a TBW to hold their cars back. After reading what Jeff said about his wife's x-type I really wonder if they have gotten the technolgy down pat yet or if they are still working the kinks out. GM has had it on the vette since 97' and I have never noticed a problem with it nor have I heard much in the complaint department.

If what people are saying about Ford's TBW system is true then there needs to be something done. The computer doesn't need to be just closing the throttle at the first sign of wheel spin, most traction control systems do a little more then that. Sometimes you need to be able to pull out quickly and not have to worry about lag in the system and you shouldn't have to take off traction control to do it. Not to mention the fact that a delay under normal conditions is unacceptable to me no matter what the reason. They may be trying to protect their cars from being ragged but that is honestly not their job...it is up to the owner. Since when did sports cars have to come with training wheels that you can't take off?
I think you guys have forgotten about the average driver. I would guess that less than 5% of the buyers for this car have ever driven any car with 500HP. Like it or not Ford is trying to keep the average driver from killing himself. IMO

chuckstang

Established Member
I thought it was funny how someone from that link said it had the wrong brakes when in fact that was a pic of the rear wheel and was indeed the correct brakes
hahaha

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
Fourcam330 said:
Whenever someone brings a 6.0 PSD in, Fords service depts. are instructed to check for an aftermarket chip/tune immediately. Even if it's not the culprit, they nix the warranty.

I don't doubt that for 1 second, but I have to ask- wouldn't that voilate the Magnuson-Moss warrenty act?

I see a spare PCM in my future ;-)

Fourcam330

Established Member
If you have friend at the dealership they can clear the codes for you before you technically bring the car in.

Fourcam330

Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
I don't doubt that for 1 second, but I have to ask- wouldn't that voilate the Magnuson-Moss warrenty act?

I see a spare PCM in my future ;-)

Depending on what the real problem is, quite possibly :) I'm sure they win more than they lose, sad as it is.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
chuckstang said:
ehh
I just want my right foot to control the gas not a computer
oh well

You had better get used to the idea. It won't be long before everything is drive by wire. And not just the throttle either. The computer is going to take over the operation of as much of the car as possible. Technology evolves. Get used to it...or help figure out a way around it. Eventually, you will have to own a car with it...your car you have won't last forever.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
OKC03Cobra said:
DEARBORN, MI) - StangsUnleashed.com - Dearborn, we may have a problem. An engine problem with the 2007 Shelby GT500, to be specific. StangsUnleashed has learned that the un-thinkable could happen: the upcoming launch of the GT500 could be delayed or pushed back due to an alleged engine crankshaft problem.
Prototype 4.6L "Terminator" engine. Notice the crank support bracket and Roush timing cover.
Sources close to the 2007 Shelby GT500 program are alleging that the crankshafts in the 5.4L GT500 engines are fracturing or breaking at the snout (nose) where the engine damper rides. The sources are alleging that the GT500 crankshaft breakage can be attributed to two complimentary issues. According to our reliable sources, Ford designed a crankshaft damper specifically for the GT500, but the damper weighs in at a hefty 26 pounds.
Experimental 2007 Shelby GT500 engine.
The weight of the GT500's damper, combined with the stress of the SuperCharger pulling on the crankshaft may be placing too much stress on the crankshaft's snout, which is causing the failures. By comparison, the balancer on the SVT Lightning's 5.4L SuperCharged engine weighs less than 1/2 of the GT500s. The GT500's balancer is similar to the Ford GTs, however is totally different from the SVT Lightning. Unlike the GT500, the SVT Lightning uses a stand alone pulley bracket support system, which threads into the damper itself.
Should the GT500 crankshaft allegations prove to be true and the launch of the GT500 is delayed, it could have a potentially devastating affect, not only on the GT500, but it could throw off the timing of other SVT products like the 2008 GT500. Moreover, consumers' feathers are already ruffled over the GT500 due to a variety of issues. Even though order banks opened weeks ago, Ford has failed to provide exterior color examples. They have also failed to provide consumers with absolute horsepower/torque ratings, MSRP pricing and keep in good communication with their PowerLease customers.
Could a crankshaft issue/delay be the reason why Ford has not released any new information on the 2007 Shelby GT500? On 19 April, we asked Ford questions about this story, however, they never responded.

http://www.stangsunleashed.com/index...ticleid=94&s=&

Boy....someone is digging in the archives for that one. That is old news and no longer relevant. That problem developed during engine durability tests of the GT 5.4 32V engine. They bolted two test motors to dyno stands and let 'em rip through their durability cycle they program. At almost the EXACT same time, both engines broke the snout of the crank. (I believe it was like 100 hours IIRC) It only took the engineers a quick inspection to realize the fillet on the front of the crank needed to be changed. They went from an undercut fillet to a radiused fillet. Problem solved.

I swear...some of these magazines, etc love to start gossip.

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
experiment626 said:
Thanks to the info about it being a converible and white and him working at flat rock you may just cost him his job.Thats enough info for security at ford to find out who he is.Becauce all cars are tag and assigned to certain people my father works in security at fords and he crusies the internet for info like this to bust people at work.And he saw this post and it made him curious.Just tell your buddy to play it cool for awhile.

P.S. thanks for the info about the car this is what people really wanted to know.

If this is true, then it's absolute BS. Doesn't Ford or your father have anything else to do than cruise the internet looking for excuses to fire someone?? If he was running it by the GM plant, I could see it...but not this. He did more to sell that car here in this thread than Ford has done with it. I'm sure his superiors are not as anal about this and will actually thank him for getting the good word out. They have to know he's going to show it off....otherwise, why let him take it home???

I don't want you to think this is a personal attact or flame. I don't intend it that way. But with all the issues at FOMOCO lately, I would think they have a lot more things to worry about than some guy talking up their product.

Furthermore, I wonder if your dad will do anything with this thread now that you've exposed him on it. This is just plain stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread