Yeti/Ozark/Igloo/Coleman Coolers

kierrea35

Established Member
We only buy the big Yeti coolers at work. I have personally noticed it will hold at least a half cooler of ice by the fourth day. And that's multiple guys opening and closing it all day.

CLN 6R

Established Member

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Yeti is the hands down winner. I've got a yeti cooler and a yeti cup. As does the wife. Wouldn't have it any other way. Yea it's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Edit: have also heard good things about K2 coolers but have never personally tried them

I have yeti coozies, yeti cups and the knockoff walmart Ozark versions. The 8 dollar walmart one works just as good.

I also have an igloo sportsman 55. Wanted a rotomolded cooler because of the durability when its on the back of my sxs. Just got the Ozark trail softsided yeti knockoff and it's pretty good. My mom and sister have the yeti soft coolers and the ozark is a close second but is 50 compared to 330.

Damn. I've spent a lot of money on coolers and coozies now that I think about it.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Produc...224844&sr=8-1&keywords=igloo+sportsman+cooler
https://www.google.com/search?q=oza...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=CGfEo-uZTApqVM:

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
My old Coleman cooler is 55 years old. My parents got it from Blue Chip Stamps (remember those?)
The outside is metal and the inside is hard plastic. I don't know what they used for insulation back in the 50's (maybe it's asbestos) but the ice is still floating around three days later.
All the hinges and the lock are all stainless steel.
It even has a drain on the bottom so you can drain the water and add more ice.

They don't make them like that anymore. :-D

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
This^^

it seems only die hard yeti owners believe otherwise.
They have never watched the test results of others. They also push the need to spend $$$ on something others never need. lol

No way would I or most spend $300 on something when the one for $55 will do me just fine.

The fact that almost every "Salt Life" bumper sticker on the back of a mall crawler Jeep JK is accompanied by a "YETI" sticker tells me everything I need to know about their customer base.

hoamskilet

Established Member
No way I'd pay the Yeti price when there's stuff out there nearly as good for a fraction of the price

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
The fact that almost every "Salt Life" bumper sticker on the back of a mall crawler Jeep JK is accompanied by a "YETI" sticker tells me everything I need to know about their customer base.

Living by the gulf i see salt water soul on everything.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
For most people the cheaper stuff will do you just fine. Yeti is for people wanting to spend a week in the middle of nowhere and still have ice. I personally can't justify the cost since I don't use coolers for more than a day or 2 on the river/lake.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
For most people the cheaper stuff will do you just fine. Yeti is for people wanting to spend a week in the middle of nowhere and still have ice. I personally can't justify the cost since I don't use coolers for more than a day or 2 on the river/lake.

The issue I see is that there are now 2 or 3 brands half the price or even less that perform just as well.
It has been proven yet some are more brand loyal to yeti than they are to ford. Lol

Machdup1

Established Member
My wife has a Yeti coozie, I have a Ozark Trail coozie, they perform the exact same. Only thing is, mine cost less than $10. Her's she got at work for free, but as you can see, it would have cost $40.

Total rip-off.

Since walmart (i.e. Ozark) stole Yeti's design, that is not surprising. I believe Yeti is sueing them.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
From what I've seen, as long as a cooler is "rotoformed" then it's as good as it's going to get. The rest is just marketing fluff.

Yes and no. The insulation used to fill the gap in the rotomolded product is pretty important. I can't imagine their being many mfgs of insulation for that purpose though...

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This is all that I would need it for, I don't understand why people want ice to last a week.

We do some "camping" when we go dirt bike/quad riding out in glammis, oceano dunes, etc. We will go for a week or so at a time, give or take a few days. We have a toy hauler with a fridge and a few other ammenities, but the fridge is tiny, and you can't keep enough drinks in there for more than 1-2 people. Some of these places are 80-110 degrees outside when we go so it is very nice to have something that can last a week and hold enough stuff for the family.

We don't have a yeti or any of the other brands yet. We have an old coleman I believe. A very large one, and we usually just took extra precautions to keep it in as cool of an environment as feasible and if we needed to we would go buy more ice. Thats not to say the ice doesn't last. We didn't know about yeti or any of the other top brands as we have had it for a long time. It has recently sustained some damage though and doesn't work as well so we are going to replace it soon.

We will probably go with an RTIC. If we stay anywhere long enough to need more ice in an RTIC, the same would probably hold true for the Yeti.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I need a can cooler to last 15-20 minutes tops, longer than that and you need a nipple...
:rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::rolling::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Epic reply. Just epic.

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
This is all that I would need it for, I don't understand why people want ice to last a week.

I built my pelican jockey box for a pig roast I go to for memorial day that lasts 4 days. The closest place that sells ice is a 30 minute trip one way.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I like my Orca 48 the same as my Yeti 48. Orca was $150.00 less too.

Yeti was a gift. I would never spend that $$$. Hard enough to buy a $250 Orca cooler but it seemed like a good deal at the time. They're so heavy.......

I still love my "MPU" (mobile party unit) igloo with wheels as we called them in college. Light weight and still does the trick for the night...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread