Yeti/Ozark/Igloo/Coleman Coolers

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Hey guys,

Im sure you have heard about these Yeti coolers being really nice. I watched a video on the Ozark cups being just as nice as the Yeti cups for 1/3 of the price. Then I was in walmart recently and saw a 73 quart ozark cooler. Are these supposed to be as sweet as the Yeti's? Funny thing is I dont think I need a cooler like that but I also like to have quality stuff when I do purchase something. So what are you guys using the cheapo coleman/igloo's/ and such? or you guys using the Yeti's/knock off's?

bullitt1672

Established Member
I received a 35 quart Pelican at work as a safety gift, and it does NOT hold ice any better than my cheap IGLOO that is the same size (maybe a day and a half). My dad has a YETI and is not impressed with either. No way would I ever spend that kind of money on a cooler, its almost some sort of social status to have a "high end cooler." I have to laugh when I see Jeeps and trucks with Yeti stickers on them to let everyone know they spent $300+ on a cooler.

1QWK96GT

Thats what she said
Established Member
Yea I was looking at that Ozark cooler and it does not have wheels. So much money for a cooler and I dont get wheels and a handle? :/

bullitt1672

Established Member
Thats how my pelican is, heavy and no wheels. Once it filled with drinks and ice, have fun carrying it!. I use my igloo (also got from work) all the time. Holds more because it doesn't have all that "insulation" that does not seem to work on the pelican, and the retractable handle and wheels are a plus. With the money you save between the two, it will buy you a lot of beer and ice!

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
Yeti is the hands down winner. I've got a yeti cooler and a yeti cup. As does the wife. Wouldn't have it any other way. Yea it's a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. Edit: have also heard good things about K2 coolers but have never personally tried them

Last edited:

Sladester2

Established Member
@tx5811 You must not have tried Ozark Trail cups lol. Picked one up for 8 bucks at walmart and out last my friends Yeti

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
I received a 35 quart Pelican at work as a safety gift, and it does NOT hold ice any better than my cheap IGLOO that is the same size (maybe a day and a half). My dad has a YETI and is not impressed with either. No way would I ever spend that kind of money on a cooler, its almost some sort of social status to have a "high end cooler." I have to laugh when I see Jeeps and trucks with Yeti stickers on them to let everyone know they spent $300+ on a cooler.

The smaller cooler maybe the issue.

My 95 quart pelican jockey box retains ice for a week in 85+ degree weather. I've had it for 3 years now and used it at least a dozen times.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I get the cheap coolers, just picked up a small Igloo to take to the pool at the beach house. It serves it's purpose, I don't need to keep ice for a week in 90+ weather. If only they could make a better design hinge on the damn things.

weems

Mach Won
Established Member
The high end coolers are absolutely worth the price. I boat a lot, and in the 95+ degree heat in the blaring sun the old Igloo marine I had wouldnt last through one offshore trip. I picked up a yeti 65 and it holds all day and has held ice for a week for me. With that being said, if I could do it over again I would not have purchased a yeti as there are alternatives that are just as good for cheaper. If I could do it again I probably would have went with a Pelican, Orca, or Grizzly cooler.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
From what I've seen, as long as a cooler is "rotoformed" then it's as good as it's going to get. The rest is just marketing fluff.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The others of the same design are just as good as the Yeti.

It also depends on your needs. I have 2 $54 Coleman coolers that advertise 5 days. They will make it 3 for sure in 90+ heat.
That is good enough for my needs.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Bought my brother 40-quart Pelican to use on his pontoon boat. Best cooler ever hands down. Ice lasts days in that thing! Tests show the Pelican brand is one of the top coolers for ice retention beating out even the Yeti. Yes they are big. Yes they are heavy, but IF you need something that will retain ice longer than your Walmart Igloo...

U.M.

[video=youtube;zu-V0ZqfYHg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-V0ZqfYHg[/video]

Last edited:

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I have been hearing a lot of good things about the RTIC brand. It is supposedly just as good but half the price of yeti. One more thing Yeti sued Ozark for copying them amd walmart is yanking them off the shelfs from what i have been told

Last edited:

dablaze313

Established Member
I have an RTIC 65 which is about as good as a Yeti at keeping the contents cold. The rope handles are made of a different material and it doesn't sound quite as thick when you knock on it vs a Yeti but for the price difference I would make the same decision. Note that Cabela's makes a knockoff that has slots to attach their wheels to.

The big thing to think about is whether you are going to be in and out of the cooler a lot. If you are going to be opening it every 15-20 minutes to grab a new drink then it is not worth the additional cost and weight vs the Coleman and Igloo coolers as you will be constantly exposing the inside to the outside air which defeats the purpose of all that insulation.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
yeti seems to be a huge waste of money

This^^

it seems only die hard yeti owners believe otherwise.
They have never watched the test results of others. They also push the need to spend $$$ on something others never need. lol

No way would I or most spend $300 on something when the one for $55 will do me just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread