Yet another MPSS Tire thread

jtfx6552

Established Member
I have heard of some of the corvette guys having the same problem ,I have 295 MPSS ,coming from the rear,car has been off the road since November ,almost time to break it out,gonna change the out ASAP ,sucks cause they weren't cheap

Man that sucks you have to replace them on your own dime. where'd you buy them? No potential for relief?

Which of the three 295/35s? The 105Y Ferrari 12" tread width I presume?

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
I have had the tires on for a while,one of the first mods I made,I originally thought the reason for the wobble was that I had a base car,no Perf Pack ,thought I would cure it with the full BMR treatment,looks like I will need to replace tires first,yes 105y

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
For track events, I bet the Toyo R888's would outshine both. Try those on all 4 corners, I'm sure you'll stick much better than you do with the other two.
Toyo does not make an R888 in the proper size for the stock front wheel. They make a 265/35, which will be ~1.5" shorter than the 285/35 rear tire.
S.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
I have been on R6's since last June/July as I recall. I get 12-16 sessions out of a set of fronts (and that's probably generous). However, I am running Daytona-Rolex next week and R6's don't have the load rating for a high speed banked course. Furthermore, Hoosier does not recommend using R6's for heavily banked tracks. I think on a ~3900# GT500, the R6 (at least in the 19" sizes I run) is somewhat marginal.
Just placed an order this morning for a set of R888's. I'm running FRPP 19" wheels on the car so running a 265-35/19 front and 295/30-19 rear. I will be very happy if I can get 5-6 track days (20-25 sessions) out of a set of R888's. Prior to the R6's ran through several sets of stock Goodyears. They really weren't that bad once they got some heat in them.
S.

Last edited:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Toyo does not make an R888 in the proper size for the stock front wheel. They make a 265/35, which will be ~1.5" shorter than the 285/35 rear tire.
S.

They make a 345/30/19 that is almost the same height as the stock fronts though!!! Lol! :dancenana:

leroyt10

Established Member
I didn't read the entire thread on the wobble maybe the first 5 pages but, did anyone mention a possible tire slip on the wheel? Some tire shops use excessive lube on the tires while mounting and under normal driving its not an issue but drag racing and high speeds they can slip on the rim. Would suggest to mark the tire and drive at the wobble speed to see if the tire moves. Sorry if this has been already discussed...

jtfx6552

Established Member
Well, the tire guy I use pretty much suggested every other tire on earth when I said I wanted to order another set of the stock goodyears.

Finally got the MPSS on order. 275 fronts 295 rears.

I hope I don't have the wobble. Does it show up right away? Tires will be here Thursday, if they wobble I'm screwed as im supposed to leave for the track Friday.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Which 295 are you using? Mine showed up the other day and this weekend I'm getting them mounted on my Forgelines but I'm using the N0 105Y Porsche version the since 105Y K1 Ferrari is still on B/O.

jtfx6552

Established Member
We discussed it, but he didn't say which one was coming. I'm guessing since they'll be there Thursday it has to be one of the other two versions, not the ferrari one.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Which 295 are you using? Mine showed up the other day and this weekend I'm getting them mounted on my Forgelines but I'm using the N0 105Y Porsche version the since 105Y K1 Ferrari is still on B/O.

Checked with my peeps where I got mine,,,they had 4 Ferrari K1's in the warehouse,,,thinking of buying 2 and putting them away in the basement till needed.

Kel

Established Member
Where are you guys getting them from? At least last summer/fall, I kept Emailing back/forth with DTD and they never could get the rears (295) from Michelin. Now that spring is here, time for the Alcoas and 275/295's!

Cman01

hello
Established Member
We discussed it, but he didn't say which one was coming. I'm guessing since they'll be there Thursday it has to be one of the other two versions, not the ferrari one.

One will be the Porsche 105Y N0 version, the other version is also the Ferrari K1 but with a 101Y load rating instead of 105Y.

Hey John I take it your tire guy that has 4 Ferrari K1's have the 105Y version and not the 101Y correct?

jtfx6552

Established Member
Looks like I got the 101Y Ferrari spec tire. Hope it doesn't explode when I get on the banks at Pocono.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
You'll be fine with the 101Y Ferrari the factory GY's carry a 98Y load rating.

Pocono is a great track ran my Z there last year turn 1 has the banking the other 2 turns has less.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Don't want to jinx anything, but preliminary results are no wobble. I made 4 or 5 bursts up through third gear, hard to stay in it long in fourth, but I did once. Temp was high 60s low 70s today.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
I have my stock goodyears back on. I drove 3800 miles in 10 days in this machine.

certain roads. mainly getting on the higheway or changing lanes ar WOT throttle, that damn car would WOBBLE like it was going to do a 360. some times I had to get out of it.

I believe it's the roads more than the tires. the crown of the road has grooves worn in it you don't notice and if it's not flat, it'll steer you around in that trough created on the road.

they may look flat, but they are anything but flat!!

this was pretty hazardous. especially in Florida. I got on 95 south at Daytona speedway to hit Route 4 to Orlando. I about lost the car it started to wobble so bad I had to death grip that wheel. I checked tire pressure and for loose lug nuts. I thought there was a serious issue.

either the suspension is allowing the rear to steer, or the roadway is just that bad? I don't think it's the tires. they performed fairly good in all other spots. Plus my drag radials are even worse for doing this mainly because they are so much stickier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread