Yet another MPSS Tire thread

jtfx6552

Established Member
I did a search, must have read 10 threads, lol.

We all know the MPSS is the superior all around tire, but what would be better for track events?

The "Ferrari " 12" tread width version is $425.00 and back ordered at Tire rack, the Goodyear is $271.00 and in stock.

And now the $64,000 question, is the 295 really better than the 285 for track event/road course driving when it's recommended wheel width is 1/2 wider than the PP wheels?

I know the extra tread width is worth it for straight line driving, but is a 1/2" too much rim squeeze bad for turns?

I'm not going to get new rims or widen my existing rims because I'm probably going to switch to the GT350 once they are avail.

Last edited:

Ky GT500

Established Member
Mine does fine at track events,,no issues. Stock PP rims, 295 Ferrari rears.

imagejpg2-4.jpg

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
After reading all the threads on "the wobble" I'm not sure I'd go with MPSS tires. The Goodyears are better in wet handling and braking distance if the temperatures aren't cold. They weigh a lot less per tire than MPSS. On a hot summer's day they stick like glue. I'd go Pirelli's or the Dunlop tires Tire Rack measured against the MPSS and GYs in a comparison test if you're over the GYs.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Also the wobble issue was due to tire pressure, not the tire. I've run mine hard and never had the wobble.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Also the wobble issue was due to tire pressure, not the tire. I've run mine hard and never had the wobble.

I have tried in 5 degree increments of air presure from 25 to 50 and have the same wobble,don't know if there is a bad run of tires but there many of us that have the wobble no matter what the presure is

Ky GT500

Established Member
I have tried in 5 degree increments of air presure from 25 to 50 and have the same wobble,don't know if there is a bad run of tires but there many of us that have the wobble no matter what the presure is

Might have something there,,,I just know I've not had the wobble and I do run mine hard,,,think I'm running 35 all around,,,getting ready to check them all,, cover came off today.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
After reading all the threads on "the wobble" I'm not sure I'd go with MPSS tires. The Goodyears are better in wet handling and braking distance if the temperatures aren't cold. They weigh a lot less per tire than MPSS. On a hot summer's day they stick like glue. I'd go Pirelli's or the Dunlop tires Tire Rack measured against the MPSS and GYs in a comparison test if you're over the GYs.

There is no way Goodyears are better than MPSS in the rain....unless the rain is about 105'. I have had both and on an 85 degree day in the rain, it was like being on pure ice with the Goodyears. Ive had the MPSS to 130mph in the rain, and the car was solid.

VFORCEJOHN

Established Member
You fellas sure the "wobble" isn't a bent rear axle.

Mine bent pretty easy, and surely wobbled like hell!!

I thought it was because of the drag radials

Now with new axles, and the same tires....No more wobble.

Ky GT500

Established Member
Maybe that's why I don't have wobble,,,I swaped axles out early in the game,,,never looked back.

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
I have had 3 full axel assembles in my car and none were bent and all had the wobble once the MPSS were installed.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
In response to the OP's original question, the Goodyears are R-Comp tires (even the owner's manual says so) while the MPSS's are just high performance summer tires. If you go to a road-race track and blast around on a summer afternoon, the MPSS's get greasy fast and the GY's don't. Conversely, the MPSS's are pretty commonly used as wets by the track day crowd - I've seen Boss 302S's getting good lap times with them in the rain.

If you're looking for alternatives to the GY's, you can get the new Pilot Sport Cup 2's in the right size for the front, and either NT-01's or R888's in the right size for the rear. I've driven my 2014 with mismatched front and rear R-comps (265/35x19 Pilot Sport Cup's up front, 275/40x18 NT01's at the rear) and the handling was fine.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Is the wobble only being reported on GT500s? What sizes do you have Siskakidd? Have you been able to narrow it down to which tire or tires it's coming from?

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Is the wobble only being reported on GT500s? What sizes do you have Siskakidd? Have you been able to narrow it down to which tire or tires it's coming from?

I have heard of some of the corvette guys having the same problem ,I have 295 MPSS ,coming from the rear,car has been off the road since November ,almost time to break it out,gonna change the out ASAP ,sucks cause they weren't cheap

Users who are viewing this thread