World's Fastest Street Supra

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
oh and jasil, I just watched a video of the turbo X2C 03cobra, that can be street driven at any time with NO argument about it. They trapped 147mph at 2710', so I think its safe to say they could trap 150 at another track. . .and that wasn't even with their bigger turbo and intake manifold. . .

But see, this is why I don't like threads like this. Because it turns into "well this car could run this if. . ." and "he would have ran this if. . . ."

I hate it when people talk like that, and look, I am doing the same thing :lol1:

jasil

Established Member
Oh and JKD X2C's car is not air conditioned and the intercooler sits in passenger foot rest. And not that it matters, but that is 1 CAR....1 cobra that has run that.

I'm not saying 1 supra traps 145mph+, so therefore it's better. I'm saying there are 50+ supra's that trap 140mph and faster. Street cars not owned by shops...ya see the difference?

At least I'm open minded and don't jump on the nuts of 1 fast car. Cobra's will be there too when people stop putting blowers on and start turbocharging.

Better HP and TQ averages and peaks with turbo applications and less parasitic loss watching Derek's car with much interest.

jasil

Established Member
My12secGt...

I care much more about trap speed than times. Times means soft suspension (crappy handling) + Big fat bouncy tires (crappy handling and looks like crap) and usually a automatic (boring to drive unless all you do is drag race)...

If you really care about drag racing why buy a cobra and then swap out the rear, the trans, and build the motor like so many people are doing.

Go on a road course or even autocross that is much more fun anyway.

I'll take a 11 second car trapping @135 over a 10 second car trapping 125 any day of the week.

TwoValveKid

Uh oh.....
Established Member
Originally posted by jasil
Oh and JKD X2C's car is not air conditioned and the intercooler sits in passenger foot rest. And not that it matters, but that is 1 CAR....1 cobra that has run that.

I'm not saying 1 supra traps 145mph+, so therefore it's better. I'm saying there are 50+ supra's that trap 140mph and faster. Street cars not owned by shops...ya see the difference?

At least I'm open minded and don't jump on the nuts of 1 fast car. Cobra's will be there too when people stop putting blowers on and start turbocharging.

Better HP and TQ averages and peaks with turbo applications and less parasitic loss watching Derek's car with much interest.

as jkd pointed out...how long has the mkIV been out? 94? 93? were catching up only a year after production...give us another ten years and lets see how the cobra fares...:bored:

i also find it humorous that they are running around with gm trannies....lol

95snoozer

Established Member
actually that is NOT a street car, and well cause i am from the single turbo supra capital. one can drop buy SWs shop any time and there are several supras/sc300s around here that trap in the 140s

Walser supra... which yall have all seen running away on the 2 lane upper deck of our highway here was fast as shit to. I forget what he trapped but it was around the 150 bubble.

you may recognize this car from those vids or the one of him walking a huyabusa on the upper deck of 183 here in austin.

when the titan motorsports car comes out to play, it is NOT a street car, its trailerid back and forwarth and is a race car. Just like when we had the viper supra shootout and the viper that pegged the dyno at 3K is a street car unlike the titan car. the RSi viper that made high 800s on blower is driven all over for normal street use.

dont listen to me, I have no frame of referance(spl) :)

Last edited:

essinem4130

Established Member
MSP's Supra went 8.2 or so on drag radials, Titan has always been a few steps behind.

The x2c Cobra is gutted, but has a nasty roll cage, so probably weighs around what stock Cobra would weigh. They drive it on the street for tuning, but it has an extremely small radiator, so getting stuck in traffic etc would be really hard on the car.

They went 9.4x at LACR. The DA (Density Altitude) that day was right around 5700' so they might as well have been running on Mt. Everest. If you are searching for the best times in So. Cal, your only hope is California speedway, Pomona, or Bakersfeild.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
And not that it matters, but that is 1 CAR....1 cobra that has run that.
jasil - THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT!! Only ONE SHOP has taken an 03cobra and put a turbo on it. . .ONLY ONE. . .and out of the ONE cobra that is turbo'd, it trapped 147mph at a terrible track (like essinem pointed out).

Just imagine if we had 4 or 5 shops all using turbos on an 03cobra. We would have more kits to choose from, and they would already be tested and proven to work. So more people would feel safe buying them. And if all of that happened, then yes. . .we would have just as many 140mph trapping 03cobra's as supras.

95snoozer - very good post :thumbsup: I agree 100%.

Those vipers are amazing cars. You can make them extremely fast and still be able to drive them on the street.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
Originally posted by JKD COBRA
:nonono: How long has the supra been out? And how long have 03cobra's been around? How many shops have taken an 03 and raced it compared to supra's. . . .not many. Nitrous pete had his 03cobra for a VERY short time. . .and almost trapped 140 for the short time he had it (139.4) with our weak IRS and a FULL INTERIOR. . .ALL four stock seats. . .etc. And this is on a completely STOCK motor.

Besides Npete, all we have is strictly performance. The yellow car trapped 140mph on the stock motor if I remember correctly. And their blue car trapped 141 with the 6speed and IRS and FULL interior and a STOCK motor. Strictly put cams and pistons in their yellow car and they were going to do some weight reduction and definitely be in the 8's, but the car is up for sale.

So out of the three 03cobra's that shops have used, all of them have gotten to 139-145mph. And this is all with twin screw superchargers. Very inefficient compared to centrifugal blowers or Turbo's. If we had a shop that started using turbo's on the 03cobra they could go low 9's. Swap out the pistons, run some more boost and I think 8's are definitely possible. But with much less motor work done and much less weight reduction then the Titan supra.

I'm speaking of what I see on a weekly basis during the street races. All i'm saying is that v8 cars putting down 600 and 700hp (some on stock stuff) running 200 and 300 shots of nitrous through the car last A LOT longer than the DSMs, the civics, the vr4s pushing 400hp.

And I will still stick to my statement "Given the SAME power level, no car will outlast another with more cylinders (displacement)."

essinem4130

Established Member
It not so much how many shops are turbocharging cobras, its just plain evolution. Just 10 or so years ago, a 9 second fox-bod was unthinkable. Now, they are running low 7's.

Supras have been out for 10 or so years, but just started getting fast within the past 2 or 3 years. Which will be faster within the next 2 or 3 years? My money is on the Cobra. Stock for stock, the Cobra will go a LOT quicker (I can see a mid 8 second pass on stock internals)

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
All i'm saying is that v8 cars putting down 600 and 700hp (some on stock stuff) running 200 and 300 shots of nitrous through the car last A LOT longer than the DSMs, the civics, the vr4s pushing 400hp.
I agree completely.

essinem - the shops play a big role. If we had more shops putting turbo kits on the 03cobra more people would buy the kits. For one, people would see the turbo kit in action and it would convince the people to buy it. Second, the mags would show more articles of turbo mustangs. Think about it, when you open up a mustang magazine what do you see? Tons of adds for Vortech superchargers, Prochargers, and nitrous. What do you see being put on a ton of 96-01 cobra's? Vortech superchargers.

So basically, if we had some shops that would test out the turbo's and get some magazine coverage, I think it would help turbo's become more popular.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
If I had the money right now, i'd put a turbo on my car - no questions asked. Unfortunely, in my current situation - nitrous is the most cost effective power adder I can afford.

But now that my motor is built, i can look at bigger turbos and i expect to see no less than 700hp.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I am in the same boat as you man. I would also love to go turbo, but its just so much easier to swap blowers on the 03.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i guess i'm kind of in a good area. There are a few shops around here that deal with pretty much turbo cars only. They do custom machining of piping and headers and everything. I've talked with two of them about my car when i'm ready to do the turbo...and they both have jumped on the oppertunity...

but for now, i'll just settle with my direct port nitrous system :D

Users who are viewing this thread