Will Adding CAI hurt tune

ravinshield

Established Member
My 04 cobra is currently chipped but has the stock intake. Will installing a CAI that says no tune is required mess up my current tune. Will it make it lean out with out updating the tune? Trying to keep current tune. Thanks guys

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The k&n gen 2 kits worked great on the termy. No reason to really go with anything else the stock intake tube provides more flow than the stock blower can suck in.

jjk23

Established Member
Christian,
Just to clarify:
Are you planning on installing a cold-air intake (CAI) or a ram-air intake (RAI)?
Quite often, the CAI will add a few bends and change the length of the charge tube. This will affect how the air flows over the hot-wire used in your MAF-based control strategy. Your fueling and load (used as one of the inputs in the ignition timing calculations) are calculated based on your MAF counts. Any MAF count errors will be carried over into both your cylinder fueling and final spark advance values. Factory footprint RAI systems are less likely to raise concern.
As procharger and me32 commented, using a popular setup that does not significantly change the air path shouldn't cause much trouble.
As long as your current "tune" is not some sort of max-effort value file, you should be alright.
Also, it is good practice to always clock your MAF in the same orientation when disassembling and reassembling the intake (paint markers do the trick).

ravinshield

Established Member
Christian,
Just to clarify:
Are you planning on installing a cold-air intake (CAI) or a ram-air intake (RAI)?
Quite often, the CAI will add a few bends and change the length of the charge tube. This will affect how the air flows over the hot-wire used in your MAF-based control strategy. Your fueling and load (used as one of the inputs in the ignition timing calculations) are calculated based on your MAF counts. Any MAF count errors will be carried over into both your cylinder fueling and final spark advance values. Factory footprint RAI systems are less likely to raise concern.
As procharger and me32 commented, using a popular setup that does not significantly change the air path shouldn't cause much trouble.
As long as your current "tune" is not some sort of max-effort value file, you should be alright.
Also, it is good practice to always clock your MAF in the same orientation when disassembling and reassembling the intake (paint markers do the trick).
Christian,
Just to clarify:
I meant RAI and thank you guys for all the great info.

blownfox

Established Member
My car came with a chip and the previous owner change the CAI to a RAI and my car had a stalling issue. I removed the chip and had the car tuned and all was good.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The MAF sensor is very important. When changing CAI be sure you don't change tube diameter right by the MAF if you're on a slot sensor. If you introduce bends or curves in the intake in front of the MAF it'll likely cause you some minor drivability issues. Sometimes just clocking the MAF around in different orientations will get you by, sometimes a minor revision of the tune is required.
As always, check your A/F with a wideband when changing up parts like this.

cj428mach

Established Member
The MAF sensor is very important. When changing CAI be sure you don't change tube diameter right by the MAF if you're on a slot sensor. If you introduce bends or curves in the intake in front of the MAF it'll likely cause you some minor drivability issues. Sometimes just clocking the MAF around in different orientations will get you by, sometimes a minor revision of the tune is required.
As always, check your A/F with a wideband when changing up parts like this.

You really need to check your A/F as Malcolm mentions. I went from a upr cai with the filter on the end to a jlt true cold air with the filter on the end. AFR got one full point richer with the the jlt.

Harding27

Would I require a tune with CAI, intake and pro chamber (no cats) with borla catback? Just reading around on the forum here that my car could run rich and may be in need of a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Once I changed intakes on my tuned car and it began randomly stalling. Changed intake back and no more stalling.

Stock intake is a restriction esp for our PD cars, sort of like trying to breathe through a straw.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Would I require a tune with CAI, intake and pro chamber (no cats) with borla catback? Just reading around on the forum here that my car could run rich and may be in need of a tune.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Don't assume anything. As I said above, check your A/F with a wide band. That's the only way you're going to know if you're running richer (or leaner), requiring a re-tune.

Users who are viewing this thread