Why drink "Energy Drinks" if you don't need them?

white02

Established Member
I'll have one a week, maybe two. Mostly if i had a long night and need to "wake up" a little bit for class. I do like the taste though. Original Monster FTW!

edit: I longboard daily, and run at least two miles 3-4 times a week. I should be fine. Right? :shrug:

Last edited:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Coffee and water. My daily staples. I might have a can of soda once every couple of weeks with a really good lunch, but the rest of the time, it's coffee for breakfast, and water the rest of the day. Besides that, I don't find a lot of energy drinks particularly tasty.

eric p

Established Member
Energy drinks and caffeine are most likely only contributing factors to kidney stones and kidney damage.

Does anyone even know how a kidney works and what disease processes can affect them? Probably very few people here.

Hereditary predispositions are most likely cause of kidney stones. There is a speculation that a diet that is rich in Diet sodas and milk CAN/MAY increase your CHANCES of kidney stones, but no more than chronic dehydration will....

MY bet is that anyone that has had kidney stones "because of energy drinks" has multiple strong predisposing factors, such as family history, poor fluid intake and a poor diet, that caused the stone. Kidney stones can be composed of MANY different chemical compounds.

Kidney damage from energy drinks alone, probably not.... I only say "probably" because there are VERY FEW absolutes (not, never, none, etc) in the medical field. Most likely the only kidney damage is from becoming diabetic after all those sugary damn things. LOL. ( and yes, diabetes can cause kidney failure if not well maintained; along with a thousand other things).

Ill bet that almost every vitamin in nearly every single energy drink on the market is "water soluble", meaning they get flushed out within hours of ingestion and are not given time to build up.

Too much of one thing is never a good idea. Toxic levels of chemicals can build up and impair kidney function. If your concerned about your kidney function, have your doctor do a BUN and Creatinine (not creatine) blood level and check for protein in your urine; Other wise stay hydrated (hydration will not allow mineral deposits to accumulate, causing stones) and use in moderation.

I could go on for days about kidney function, but I already have too many papers to write as it is.

07COBRAVENOM

R.I.P. Hissssss
Established Member
Energy drinks and caffeine are most likely only contributing factors to kidney stones and kidney damage.

Does anyone even know how a kidney works and what disease processes can affect them? Probably very few people here.

Hereditary predispositions are most likely cause of kidney stones. There is a speculation that a diet that is rich in Diet sodas and milk CAN/MAY increase your CHANCES of kidney stones, but no more than chronic dehydration will....

MY bet is that anyone that has had kidney stones "because of energy drinks" has multiple strong predisposing factors, such as family history, poor fluid intake and a poor diet, that caused the stone. Kidney stones can be composed of MANY different chemical compounds.

Kidney damage from energy drinks alone, probably not.... I only say "probably" because there are VERY FEW absolutes (not, never, none, etc) in the medical field. Most likely the only kidney damage is from becoming diabetic after all those sugary damn things. LOL. ( and yes, diabetes can cause kidney failure if not well maintained; along with a thousand other things).

Ill bet that almost every vitamin in nearly every single energy drink on the market is "water soluble", meaning they get flushed out within hours of ingestion and are not given time to build up.

Too much of one thing is never a good idea. Toxic levels of chemicals can build up and impair kidney function. If your concerned about your kidney function, have your doctor do a BUN and Creatinine (not creatine) blood level and check for protein in your urine; Other wise stay hydrated (hydration will not allow mineral deposits to accumulate, causing stones) and use in moderation.

I could go on for days about kidney function, but I already have too many papers to write as it is.

Eric has it right on the dot!

I have one or two a week and have been on this routine for 4 years now. I drink plenty of water and exercise two times a day. Everything can be bad for you if you take in too much. Hell even too much water can **** up your kidneys. The key to keeping your body lasting is a balanced diet along with exercise. Yes energy drinks may be bad for you, but so is almost everything else nowadays.

LSUstang05

Established Member
Their are only two times that I drink an energy drink is if I have a midterm I'm studying for and need to stay up to study. The other is if we have a huge truck at work and I've been there since 2pm and we are going to be there until 1 or 2am in the morning since I normally wake up around 730am for classes and such. That usually only happens during the holiday seasons when the trucks end up being around 7500 pieces lol (normal is 2200-3000 piece).

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
I have had one energy drink, ever, I hated it.

I don't drink them and I don't drink coffee, I do drink soda, though. Probably more than I should.

bottlefed97

Established Member
I drink Monster, probably a couple times a week.

I only like the taste, I don't do it for energy lol.

BayouFX4

GEAUX TIGERS
Established Member
I grab a coffee one on rare occasions for breakfast because they taste good. I usually pick up a rockstar when I have a long drive for work. They make me jittery as hell so I can stay awake no matter how boring the drive is. I know they are terrible for me, but one or 2 a week can't be that bad.

The best energy drink that I've come across is Monavie. Doesn't give me any of the wacky side effects the other ones give.

01svtL

Established Member
How can they have less crap than 2 mugs of coffee? I'm pretty sure coffee doesn't have any "crap" in it other than caffeine.

Here's your active ingredients in Monster Java:

Gotta love the "undisclosed amounts" of Guarana, Maltodextrin, etc.

Taurine, Maltodextrin, L-Carnitine, Inositol will NOT hurt you in those dosages, even if you did have 2-3 every day.

BLK93GT

Established Member
I drank them for YEARS, up to 4 a day and had kidney stones THREE times along with anxiety issues aggravated from the energy drinks. Too much B12 is not good for you, and most of them have 300% or more of your normal daily allowance. I think alot of my feeling like crap was dehydration. I really was hooked on those things though. Monster was my favorite.

Last edited:

Marc

Established Member
BLUE Monster FTW! 20 calories and 6 carbs. The other Monster drinks are too sweet for me. I don't like the 5 hour energy drink because it has that "fruity" taste and really don't do anything for me.

tj04cobra

Established Member
BLUE Monster FTW! 20 calories and 6 carbs. The other Monster drinks are too sweet for me. I don't like the 5 hour energy drink because it has that "fruity" taste and really don't do anything for me.

The "lo carb" monsters are pretty good! :beer:. I used to drink 4-5 of the 16oz redbulls a day and that crap got expensive quick!! Now I drink them only on occasion if I'm really tired at work. Today, I had one with my lunch. I hadn't had one in a few weeks. The last one I had was the small one. This was my first 16oz redbull in probably 18 months. I don't know how I drank 4-5of them a day! I've had a couple of the "lo carb" monsters in the last few weeks tho. I have only had one day off so far this month and I am tired!

Tomorrow is saturday, which means before work I'll stop and buy a giant coffee on my way in. I love me a big cup of coffee and a marlboro red 100 for breakfast lol

BLK93GT

Established Member
The blue low carb are pretty good, I used to buy those by the case. I used to like these as well...
monster-bre1hr.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread